Is Deus Ex worth buying?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by crushilista, Feb 18, 2010.

1. LordSoth

LordSoth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 8gig
    And yes go get this game and take your time with it. It is old for sure but just cos its old dose not make it bad, i still play thief 2 and that just as old as this but still a good game thanks to a great community of poeple.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    No insults, please. Next time you're getting an infraction, LordSoth.

3. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    TF2 is my second favorite game, so yeah the story doesn't have to be good (although they do have good stories behind them now) as long as other things are good. In TF2s case the gameplay and character personalities.

4. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    If you could change the top that would be nice. I'm not saying you have to, but I don't want the thread turning warzone.

5. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    At least someone in this thread has some sense.

Pulp Fiction is too recent of a film to be used as a comparison IMO. Movies haven't changed a whole hell of a lot since 1995. I chose Citizen Kane because it's an older film that I don't particularly enjoy.

There are aspects of older films and games that are good. I consider a film like The Godfather a classic, but I wouldn't go to see it in the theatre today. I've seen it numerous times, own it on Blu-Ray, etc., and I'd rather watch modern films. The same goes with Deus Ex. I played it when it was released, have the disc sitting around somewhere, but I have no desire to play it now.

If you replayed Deus Ex you would see that it is more linear and not nearly as open as you imagine it. To compare it's openness to Fallout 3 is pretty ludicrous.

Nobody plays these games anymore. You are the only one.

Maybe we are spoiled, or maybe the gaming industry has evolved, become more competitive, and games are just more advanced now. Recent games have done everything Deus Ex did, better.

You even seem to admit it yourself in this post. You couch your statements with "during it's day," "held up pretty well," "was unique at the time," etc. Yes it was a great game at release, had good graphics at the time, and was very innovative and influential. It can be remembered for those things, but it just doesn't hold up to modern standards.

6. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    The you are the only one seemed a tad bit... ummm.... trollish. Everything else though is personal opinion. I respect your right to your opinion and your just stating yours.

7. Gheed

Gheed Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD5850
    They were fun 20 years ago, not now. You are the only person who finds these games still fun. I'm sure pong was a blast when it was released, but nobody in their right mind will find it fun anymore.

8. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I actually find pac-man, kaboom, and atlantis for the atari to still be fun. I find it weird that emulators are such a threat to old gaming, yet nobody is using them

9. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Clearly I was exaggerating. I'm sure someone somewhere in the world is enjoying a game of Frogger right now.

But seriously very few people are still using their Commodore 64 when their phone is a more powerful gaming platform.

10. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I don't believe the poster was saying it is as open as Fallout 3, but rather that it conveys a sense of space, and offers a certain quality of un-linearity while rejecting qualities of being a full sandbox game. Deus Ex is a middle ground that gives a focused narrative, while still allowing the player certain freedoms within the environment, and freedoms of pacing the game to ones own playing style. That middle ground is still a rarity in games.

Of course maybe he was saying it's as open as Fallout 3, and is remembering it totally wrong. :stewpid:

11. Gheed

Gheed Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD5850
    My cellphone has more advanced looking games than Deus Ex.

12. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Again I think you're overstating the amount of freedom in Deus Ex. Having a fake BMP backdrop of a city doesn't mean there's actually a city to explore.

If you want to see a real middle ground between sandbox and linear, look at Stalker.

13. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Stalker to me seemed like abandoned wasteland for most of it though. It would have been better if it had more stuff sprinkled around like FO3 did.

14. sublime20

sublime20 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti

Dude.. haha I totally agree man.....

i never got to play dune or its sequel, but I have all of the Command and Conquer series from CNC to Red Alert 3 and i dont mind playing all the older games and still enjoy them even though the graphics are so simple.

I have Subspace Continuum....this game have been around since Red Alert 95 and i Still LOVE to play it..... when i play older games two things come into play in my mind when deciding to play older games:

Playability and Story

Playability can be existant without story (this is so with Subspace)

Graphics are a necessity as well... but are not what Make a game, soo much as the baseline components

heres a link to Download Subspace Continuum for those of you who cant find it......(subspace IS still alive too after all these years and its totally free)

http://getcontinuum.com/

really great 2d game btw!!

15. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    You're completely naive if you think that is true. There's reason beyond posterity old games are offered on XBL Arcade and Virtual Console, never mind the dozens of emulators for every which console readily available on any number of web sites.

A good game doesn't suddenly become a bad game with the passing of time any more than a song, book or movie does. Arguing that Deus Ex is now a bad game because it doesn't have three billion polygons in every frame or it doesn't have bump mapping is truly, pathetically shallow, and if you can simply not enjoy games that don't utilize the latest direct x or the latest and greatest iteration of the unreal engine then all I can say is you're in the wrong hobby because there's a lot more to a video game than the image on the screen. For somebody taking his alias from the legendary Peter Molyneux I'd expect you to have the sense and experience to know that.

16. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    You just love to assume. I never said Deus Ex is a totally free open world experience, and that was the entire point. It's open within the confines of a focused narrative. STALKER does not find that middle ground, it may not be as open as Fallout 3, but it doesn't offer a more focused narrative as a result. I do enjoy STALKER, but it certainly doesn't appeal to me for the same reasons as Deus Ex.

17. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Very well said PHJF.

18. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Haha no. Nobody plays Frogger or Joust or any other game from 1982 anymore. Microsoft will put any crap on XBL Arcade because they figure they can milk their chump consumer base for more microtransactions.

No... video games aren't comparable to literature or music in that way. Just think about it, they are utterly different. Movies are closer but they aren't an interactive medium and are a more mature industry.

It isn't just the graphics, although they are a big part of why I don't think Deus Ex is playable today.

Just imagine opening up the game and stun gunning a bunch of enemies, then whacking them with the baton. I remember this was great fun back in 2000, but it would look and feel ridiculous today.

19. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I completely disagree with your opinions on Deus Ex (obviously) but I second that you can't compare music and literature to games.

20. sublime20

sublime20 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    Games are in a league of thier own, with much of every piece of art and culture into them.... the fact that games are cinematic and have great scores of music is a great testimony......... take the game GTA San andreas, or persay THPS underground 2.....

these games take stuff from a specific culture/demographic..... I think Deus Ex and its sequel are just in thier own world governed by the fact that they take advantage of being a game (when i say "being a game" i meant to imply that it utilizes culture and all society has to offer just like any other game in the world....

Deus Ex was a hit!! Its sequel was great in many ways the first one wasnt but also had its own flaws too.....

you cant just look at a game and simply judge it because of the fact its Graphics are cheap or the gameplay sucks......the designer makes games wanting to share his/her vision of an alternate world to delve into....IMHO there are no bad games.... just ones worth playing and ones that arent playable

everyone has thier own opion....but with all else aside.....

If you buy Deus Ex (you know, spend money) it will be a choice you ultimately have to decide upon. if the game intrigues you, buy it..... you will never know if you like it or hate it if you dont try it.

if the game sucks to you, give it to someone who hasnt heard of it....(one mans trash is another mans treasure)

my old friend in Highschool gave me DXIW (the sequel) because he didnt like it.......

I ENDED UP LOVING IT!!!! lol

if its 5 dollars...(i dont know the going rate) buy it... its a great game! low tech but great game!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010