Is Deus Ex worth buying?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by crushilista, Feb 18, 2010.

1. notyou

notyou Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    Bioshock was a garbage game as well.

2. Gheed

Gheed Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD5850
    [​IMG]

I thought Star Wars was almost unwatchable. U mad?

3. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Well honestly Star Wars is unwatchable today. I will give credit to the original trilogy as pioneers in the sci-fi genre. I could see watching them if you're into vintage sci fi. But the new movies are just atrocious. Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman have acting ability equal to Paris Hilton in "House of Wax."

George Lucas is massively overrated and has just been milking his franchises with crappy sequels forever. He has so many rabid fanboys that they will pay for anything.

Are you trying to deny that graphics are a significant part of any video game? You're in the minority if you prefer games that look like ****.

You're hung up on Deus Ex being so great because it's an old classic. I get it, you think you're some kind of video game connoisseur because you prefer old games. That doesn't make Deus Ex any better than it actually is.

This would be like if we were discussing Citizen Kane and people claimed it isn't a crap movie just because it's old.

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    If you have never played Deus Ex before and install it now, you end up thinking that it's POS. There is nothing which havent been done better in todays games.

Same goes to first Half-Life, if you havent played it before, then ofc you compare it to todays games. There isn't really much to like.

If you play from different point of view and think that you are at year when that game what out and what new features it had and what had never been seen before, then you will understand why people think it's awesome and so on. It isn't going to be then best game ever on your gaming list, but you may even be able to enjoy that game.

It's like you take Dune2. First RTS ever (not really first, but one of the first), this game started C&C, Warcraft and every other RTS which you have seen today. Lets say that you havent played this game before, but you have played other RTS games which are out now and start to compare it to those. It just isn't even close to those (C&C 3, SupCom, Sins of a Solar Empire, War Craft3, StarCraft, Age of Empires, Warhammer 40K).

I do have some old games which I play from time to time, which I liked when those were new. Nostalgy, feels like going back in time. Dungeon Keeper2, OMF2097, Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed... I like those more than some new games, but for person who has never played those before, I think there are much better games around.

I like to play some old games, while those are not as good (anymore) as those were supposed to be, but gives me good picture how PC gaming has evolved and what games started what. And you cant have gaming discussion with some people if you dont know anything about history :p

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    good post tat3 , i totally agree :thumbup:

6. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    i rest my ****ing case

7. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I don't agree with this statement, games on the whole are much simpler now than Deus Ex is. Even if modern games have refined some individual elements from Deus Ex, they rarely have the same overall intricacy. Deus Ex contains so many more well executed, and well melded gameplay mechanics than your average game, and I believe that is what sets it apart.

I don't really see why this needs to be debated however, some of us can easily look past graphics, and others can't, a perfect situation for live and let live.

8. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    The singular facet of Deus Ex that doesn't hold up (and wasn't any good when it came out, either) is the AI. Everything else from the maps to the dialog are as good if not better than the tripe being expelled from developers today. The sheer scope of some of the maps (like the air base and the naval yard) aren't even contested by the likes of the tiny, cramped corridors found in more modern games, least of all BioShock. The only games which give the sense of openness found in Deus Ex are sandbox games like Fallout 3, whose narratives don't hold a candle. While it often lacked such scale, the only game to successfully tread in Deus Ex's footsteps was Vampire TM:B.

The difference between Deus Ex and any other game released in the past ten years is that Deus Ex is an RPG first and a shooter second. It's not a "shooter with RPG elements."

9. Gheed

Gheed Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD5850
    You rest your case because someone doesn't have a huge hard on for Star Wars? I also think that Star Wars is unwatchable now. I never liked it and never will, the entire Star Wars universe is garbage imo, and all the characters are empty shells.

10. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Yeah, actually. Pac Man, Pitfall, Defender, Joust, and Frogger are still fun, without graphical upgrades. Ninja Gaiden on NES is still balls hard, Mario Bros on the NES is still fun to play, the Quest for Glory series on the PC is still the best adventure games series ever, and Doom is still fun on the PC, as is the original Unreal and Half Life 1.

All of those have dated graphics by today's standards. Only games that pride themselves solely on their graphics are crap later on.

Crysis will NOT be remembered in 5 years for anything other than being an amazing benchmark at the time.

Actually, Deus Ex EARNED it's right to be an old classic by being a MODERN classic during it's day. The story was well executed, the voice acting has held up, even now, the customization of the game is good, and at that time, having more than one option was unique. Right now we just are spoiled gamers because we have been given everything.

Deus Ex was a good game then, and even with dated graphics, it is a good game now. Invisible War had a good story then but was NOT a great game then and with that being said, it has NOT held up with age, unlike it's predecessor.

:stewpid:
    ...that's the stupidest analogy I've ever heard. I got no response for that one.

11. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Not liking Star Wars is not the point. The point is either you used to like it, or are watching it for the first time, but don't enjoy it because of its dated special effects.
    You just tainted your entire point with this stupid jab. I will remember Crysis years from now as an absolute classic, one of my all time favorite shooters based purely on gameplay.

12. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    No, i never once claimed Graphics aren't an important or significant part of any video game. Your assumption is false, and makes you look like an ass.

But there is more to a video game than just graphics. You can still have crap games with the most stunning graphics. Crysis or Avatar for example, are both beautiful games, but their gameplay leaves much to be desired, especially the second one, Avatar, Which was beautiful, but in all, a crappy game.

Also, i never once claimed i preferred games that look like sh*t, over games that are beautiful. Your assumption is false, and makes you look like an ass.
    Games don't need good graphics to be a good game. If you don't understand what i mean, think books vs movies.

Chrono Trigger for the SNES was regarded as one of the best RPG's of all time, and still is by many.

Again, i never once claimed i liked Deus Ex because it was old, or a classic.
    Your assumption is false, and makes you look like an ass.
    I liked it, because it's a good game. The quality of the game has not decreased since it was released. The graphics don't get worse the older it gets.
    And yes, the graphics, do suck, compared to todays standards, i'm not denying that. I won't sugar coat it, the graphics suck.
    But the game play, the combat, and the storyline, outweigh the graphics insufficiencies.

Don't make claims or assumptions or try to turn around other peoples statements, you WILL lose any credibility you have with other people.
    Think of it like this, You know someone is wrong, and they know they are wrong, but that person is still trying to turn around your words, to make you look wrong, in hopes that if they can convince enough people that they are right, even when they aren't. Well you're that person.
    The incorrect person believes, as long as they can get enough people to agree with them, they'll be right. Very egotistical.

The majority of the people here, know you are wrong, so trust me, nothing you say or do will convince them otherwise, no matter how hard you try.
    You should just agree to disagree. Not twist other peoples words.

13. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    :flame:

Storyline comes first in a game for me, although gameplay is tied with it. Graphics have to be near the very ass end.

No.... just no lol. What would work with what you said is to say that ET for the atari was a great game because it was old (I'm sure you know how good that game was lol). What WE are saying is these older games are good not because of their graphics, but because of their storytelling and good gameplay. A movie example of this would be Pulp Fiction (or any good movie from back then). Sure effects are better nowadays, but it is a great watch.

14. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Wrong. Crysis is a fun game. I own it. I like it. But will it be remembered for a memorable story? Amazing characters? Revolutionary gameplay?

Or will it be remembered for stressing your hardware as an amazing tech demo?

If you can point out to me reasons why Crysis will be a classic for anything other than it's amazing graphics, lemme know.

My point with Crysis was this:
    Something like Deus Ex will be remembered for it's RPG/shooter aspect and great story.
    Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines will be remembered for it's strong story, good characters, and ...lots of glitches and revolutionary developer Troika.

It's kinda like the movie, Avatar.
    What will it be remembered for in 10 years?
    James Cameron's amazing and deep characters? Or that it broke the uncanny valley and was an amazing graphical feat?

15. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Crysis wil be forever known as a game that tested peoples systems to the brink and gave them great graphics..... that's it though.

16. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    I with the other guys.
    Crysis' gameplay was good for a once or twice through, but the gameplay and story kinda sucked. And the games were way to short.

I too will only remember crysis as being a beautiful hardware stressing game. Even know i can barely remember much past the first map. (i played the first map for a good 10+ hours, mostly in the sandbox editor, adding and removing stuff,)

17. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Please stay on topic. ("Is Deus Ex worth buying?")

This "discussion" is too funny to veer off course.
    You can but only a very limited and parochial. :)

18. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I agree.....peter_molyneux is a real piece of work :blunt:

peter ...some of your comments made me go change my pants! :bounce:

I would love to have you around my house....I believe you could hold a swell conversation with my neighbors.

19. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Nah, he just has his own opinion. It makes no sense to me why graphics would matter more because I am my own person. To each his own. I think i'm going to get this game though.

20. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Wrong? I said I will remember it as a classic, I know not everyone agrees with that, but everything in entertainment is subjective.

Besides that, if anyone can name any other shooter that offers the freedom that Crysis does environmentally, and tactically I'd love to hear about it. I don't have the slightest concern about characters and story if the game play is enough to compel me further. At it's roots, the genre has never relied on story, and I see no reason why every shooter needs an extraordinary story now.