New Ubisoft DRM requires internet ALL the time

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 18, 2010.

1. DaSmith

DaSmith Member

GPU:
    nVidia 8600 GT 256MB DDR3
    What do I think? Well. I want to buy the game and it seems even I will have to pirate it, even if I have the original product, cause sometimes my Internet connection is jumpy... Ubisoft needs to fix their ways, or they'll lose all of their PC fanbase, although sadly that doesn't seem to bother them at all :(

2. Bloodduty

Bloodduty Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 FE
    Lol Look Like It

lol looks like they who buy it will have no chose but to crack it just to play it off line mangers are getting more and more stupid by the day DRM epic waste of time now DRM that will only let you play it when your on-line that will be the epic fail of the decade

o well never mind they are bound to go under one day

what will it be next DRM On-Line Retina Scan And Finger Print ID:biggun:

3. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Lolz, the gaming industry is like a guy on the end of a rope. The more they wiggle and struggle the tighter the snare gets.

It is time for a new tactic, make better gamez.

4. Spider4423

Spider4423 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4080
    ubisoft is going down the drain for this... the 1st retarded step was 2k games with bioshock when everybody waited for a cracked game lol ... now this

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    it doesnt matter for pirates if it requires connection all the time or not ,
    so i'm asking WHAT IS THE POINT of this ?

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Maybe they have realised they won't be able to stop it being pirated, but this will cut down on people lending/re-selling it.

On the consoles, developers hate pre-owned games just as much as pirated versions.

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i suggest people massivly start downloading the xbox360 version. even if they dont have a xbox360. :p
    ok, i dont know what im talking about, time for the weekend :)

8. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    I get your point :) Agree pal. But my internet speed is slow as snail :biggun:

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I would download the 360 one, but Ubisoft wouldn't know i did it, so would just be wasting my bandwith.

10. ScorpionHD

ScorpionHD Member

GPU:
    Asus HD5870
    They already tried this with Hellgate: London

PC Gamer talked about it last year that PC gamers with soon develop microeconomy with content that you pay for, which I think is dumb cuz then you just buy the shell of the game w/o any content...

11. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Maybe quicksand would be the better analogy.

Edit: Ooh i got it!

Piracy: The way it's meant to be played!

12. mcarr6

mcarr6 Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 Fury X
    I always download the full game before I buy, simply because the game companies are so out of touch with us that they even DRM the demos. Prince of Persia (2008) has no DRM, anybody read the developers' comments about it. My impression was that they firmly believed it was going to be pirated, and that their decision to go DRM free was the wrong choice. I rented the 360 version to try it, it sucked (I hate games where you don't know wether you're playing or watching; ie. Prince of Persia, Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 2).

I download the full game, play it, if I like it I buy it, if not, get my hard drive space back. Examples: Damnation - that game sucked, didn't buy it, tomb raider underworld - loved it, bought it and it's still installed in my 'puter.

Yes, I will download AC2, I won't leech it (I don't do torrents - I use newsgroups). Hell, I won't even try it, I'll just delete it as soon as it's downloaded. There is only so much crap a person can take.

13. ScorpionHD

ScorpionHD Member

GPU:
    Asus HD5870
    I totally agree with you, pirating the game will only fuel the fire and push ubisoft out of PC gaming completely.

P.S. Someone who lives in Montreuil, France please egg Ubisoft's office :p:nerd:

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Whats the point in downloading it, then deleting it, thats a complete waste of time and bandwith.

15. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    The main reason I don't pirate certain titles is A) respect for the developer and B) lack of feasible multiplayer. Legal multiplayer = more players to play against and be called a ****er by. :heh:

16. mcarr6

mcarr6 Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 Fury X
    Just to spite, though I do agree it is a waste of time and bandwidth (on an individual level).

17. r2rX

r2rX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 480
    This move is completely ridiculous and redundant. Their attempts at countering piracy is just gonna encourage it even more. The issue is not about how to protect the software and ignore human behavior and traits.

Unless people are gonna change their attitude and be generous, and understanding, enough to pay for the title that they like and refrain from ignoring the fact that this i s the lively-hood of people......then the only option is to stop making it. Whether it's games, music, movies etc.

This is an inevitable path. How much more ridiculous is it gonna be now? Genetic profiling for each game? Seriously.....it won't be worth it anymore.

The entire feel of gaming is slowly disappearing.....the focus was never for it to be a medium of which finances could be extorted by big companies...it was a creative, free medium that other people could be entertained and share in.......maybe i've been playing games WAY to long over the years....but i'm not crazy, and I can definitely identify this pattern that's occuring and it will kill the very essence of gaming if it continues down the path that it is.

r2rX :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  18. ScorpionHD

ScorpionHD Member

GPU:
    Asus HD5870
    I think game developers need a new way to approach piracy... obviously the more you try to restrict things the more pirates will steal it, its natural psychology. What game developers need to do is implement downloadable content for games.

I saw this first with Demigod, which I love. Yes I downloaded a game first, because a friend told me to check it out and I didn't feel like paying $50 for it if I didn't like it.
    I played and LOVED it awesome game, I bought the game when Stardock started releasing updates for the game that game you more stuff. This required Steam type program to be installed with the game. Stardock doesnt actually care if you pirate the game ( they say so in their user manual). This is definitely the right approach to PC gaming.

19. r2rX

r2rX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 480
    Look, even if you need to get content online, someone can just as easily download it and repack it. That won't work. The only logical step is the requirement of an internet connection so that the company can monitor what you're doing. I'm sorry, that is extremely retarded. It's a waste of bandwidth, extremely inconvenient for those who don't have an internet connection and/or is not fast enough and/or is unstable. Basically, this model accomodates US and Europe and leaves everyone else out.

For those living in third world countries, what are we supposed to do?

The only hope is:

1.) Game devs release games with NO countermeasures to piracy and leave it to the players to keep them going. If the community doesn't do that, then no more games....simple as that.

2.) More importantly, for the sake of any semblance of humanity left; release the game without requiring a payment to have it. This point correlates directly with point 1.) . If you like it.....PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!

It is not technology that is going to fix it.........the people are the problem. The more we depend on technology to fix it, the worse it will become (in regards to ACTUALLY being able to enjoy the game) as well as leaving the populaces responsibility unchecked.

As for Stardocks approach; it's definitely much better than Ubisoft's idea.

r2rX :)

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's not going to spite them since you would have to use a Torrent so they could see your IP and know you were downloading it, with Usenet, its unlikely they would know.

r2rX, very well put, and it does feel like it would be better they just stop releasing on the PC if they feel they have to go to these extreme measures.