New Ubisoft DRM requires internet ALL the time

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    And developers wonder why PC sales are low...

2. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    I'll still buy any new Tom Clancy based games. I never really liked Assassin's Creed, so this doesn't really bother me - also because I always have an internet connection. I do understand the frustration of others, however.

3. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Thats not entirley true you can play offline mode with Steam upto a point normally when Steam is updated & if your offline for any length of time like when your net is down like mine was off for 7 weeks recently you loose sync with the "Steam Cloud" & then Steam can't even boot never mind any games you have linked to Steam.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  4. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    woups ur damn right, i got totally confused = i fail! THIEF 4 is being developed by EIDOS Montreal.. thank god lol.

I just hope that no other company will follow UBISOFT on this DRM crap. im looking forward to buy Thief 4 actually and pay full price for it without the DRM crap in it.

5. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    This was one of the main reasons Steam was created,during the Steam closed beta which lasted around 2 years :p Valve told us pay to play was planned for Steam games like CSS,TF2 etc but we made a big song & dance about it as did the rest of the community when they heard about it & Valve in there wisdom decided to drop pay to play for "now" so dont be disapointed if at some stage pay to play comes into effect.

6. carbonyl

carbonyl Active Member

GPU:
    HD 4850 + custom cooler
    Hope they die! lol

There's always a REACTION followed by an ACTION! Guess what's coming?! lol

7. serialnumber201

serialnumber201 New Member

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Who do they think they're fooling with DRM implementation? It's just annoying. Stop.

8. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    This is unbelievable. I was definitely looking forward to AC2 but with this DRM in place they won't get my money.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure there's going to be a crack for this...

9. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i hope mr pirate comes with a solution, i was gonna buy it, but i guess i just wont cus i dont want to be losing my bandwith or my saved games just cuz of my internet inestability. ohh look piratebay woot! my gaming salvation!

10. Xbrain

Xbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6950
    I had excellent feedback from one of my friends about AC2 being completely different from the first one. But with this kind of "security" they are really going the wrong way.

11. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    developers look what steam does, they make discounts and they sell games. GOOD PRICES = GOOD SALES, i think you have some sex in the city girl in the marketing deparment you should tell her to GTFO and STFU allready with this, ´´lets fark up our clients in the arse campain.´´

dont be shy, repeat with me now:
    GOOD PRICES = GOOD SALES GOOD PRICES = GOOD SALES GOOD PRICES = GOOD SALES
    GOOD PRICES = GOOD SALES GOOD PRICES = GOOD SALES GOOD PRICES = GOOD SALES

12. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    and once again the only people who will be effected by this will be the legitimate buyers. do they really believe they are going to out smart the scene? i bet its cracked before its even officially released.

13. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Gabe Newell = god amongst men.
    Ubisoft = assclowns.

14. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I think this a crappy way of doing things but lets look at some of this.

Now they make this really crappy form of copy protection and many of the replies in this thread are, 'I'll be downloading the cracked version and won't be giving them a penny'.

Logically UBIs next step once they realize that their game was greatly more pirated then purchased is to stop making/porting games to the PC. Somehow people think this is a tragic loss for UBI, losing the PC market, with no money made, when its actually the most logical thing to do.

I won't be buying this game, I didn't buy the first one, I also won't be downloading it.

At the end of every nfo file from every pirate group it says, 'If you like this game buy it.'

I think if people just bought a few games a year the ones they liked and pirated the rest of the crap it would send a clear message, we buy good games; thing is most leeches don't even buy one game and there are plenty of these leeches.

In the end this copy protection effects the legitimate users more then anyone but the blame for it doesn't fall to them.

15. kid-goku

kid-goku Guest

GPU:
    Gainward 980 Ti
    I don't see how Ubisoft could fail any harder than this. This won't do any good for a game that's already been chewed and used up by the console crowd. Just goes to show how much they care about the PC.

16. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    hahahaa i'm laughing so hard right now i can't stop..STUPID thing to do, nobody, i mean nobody will buy this, if they release the game like this..bye bye profits for the PC port..what a bunch of no brain idiots..

and how stupid can you be to think that this type of protection will bring you money..the only thing that's gonna have an impact on is the crackers..they will definitely crack the **** out of this game, just to f*ck Ubisoft up..

17. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Meh, I vastly prefer always-online requirements over disk checks or whatever form of rootkit DRM is FoTM. After all I don't live in a third world country, my network is always accessible.

And if it for some reason isn't, perhaps they're upgrading the local switches or replacing some optics or whatever, then the least of my concerns would be being unable to play games.

18. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Crackah ass crackers. It's a stupid system put into play by people who think we'll do backflips to get a game on the pc.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    How could it be more fun at half the framerate with worse graphics?
    I played this on the 360, and its a great game, the best sequel since HL2.

I will hold off on ordering this until i see what Reloaded or Razor1911 come up with, my net is pretty stable providing i pay my bill, but i don't want to worry that if it drops i will be kicked out the game.

Ideally, and i know im dreaming, this game would never be cracked, and no copies will appear on the net, with terrible sales and alot of complaints:banana:
    But if its cracked and sells bad, Ubisoft will blame piracy, and probably stop releasing on the PC.
    If its cracked and sells well, then they will say their new DRM worked, and keep using it.

It's a pissflaps lose/lose situation:bang::biggun:

20. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    cracks, in this case, make sense.