BFBC 2 HBAO Comparison Images

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xtreme1979, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Some have said they can't see any difference. Took some comparison shots, and let me tell you there is a big one. These have been resized from 1920*1080 so it isnt as pronounced but you get the point. Performance hit isnt as great as you would think either.

Off
    [​IMG]
    On
    [​IMG]
    Off
    [​IMG]
    On
    [​IMG]
    Off
    [​IMG]
    On
    [​IMG]

For those who want non-resized images:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
  2. Einhanderkiller

Einhanderkiller Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 5870
    I wouldn't say big, but it does give the game an overall nicer look. Without it, some parts of the game look a little flat; HBAO gives those parts some depth and improves image quality.

3. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Not worth the framerate drop... I don't like going under 60 fps in online shooters

Maybe we will get optimization for retail, but so far it's a nay.

4. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Sorry but I don't see much of a difference. Thanks for posting them though :)

5. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    there is a difference, but its not much.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Darker shadow edges, not that easy to notice but it's similar to SSAO (Well duh, haha.) but a bit more precise it seems or atleast I guess albeit not as much as the full HDAO (Unsure if the game supports that, DX11 version perhaps as it's possible for that to get direct compute accelerated.)

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Isn't much when you look at them on here, but comparing the full size there is noticeable difference, especially in depth, which is the case with every game i've saw that uses AO.

As has been said, only the top systems will be able to run this at a high res and AA level and and get consistently over 60fps though.

8. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Exactly! Full resolution and in motion it's very noticable. Hard to go back once you see the difference.

9. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Thanks for the effort.

I've been messing with the setting on and off and I struggle to see difference - even whilst playing.

I guess the fact the whole game looks dog ugly - even on the highest settings doesn't help.

10. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Thanks for the comparison shots...!!!

11. KodY

KodY Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280X Vapor-X
    it looks better in motion yes, but gonna wait for the final version to decide, as

Also final version will have higher res textures, so dont know if my card can handle both things together

12. wyo

wyo New Member

GPU:
    gtx 285
    Hey everyone,maybe someone could tell me,wich progrm i should use,that tells me about fsp,cpu temp while playing,as in the pic above,many thanks.

13. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    that's evga precision with OSD on

14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Can't see any major visual difference.

Means it's not worth the performance hit at all.

15. demm

demm Master Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS
    I see only minimal difference, and it's not worth a performance hit...

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    There is not as big of a difference as your making it out to be. I keep mine off only beceause I like my framerate staying above 60. That and because I can't really tell the difference. Especially when your playing. You aren't supposed to be paying attention to the nice scenery.

17. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    I couldn't tell the difference lol

18. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Same they look the same to me aswell. Op running sli? notice two %% on evga precision

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    To be honest, I find ambient occlusion, HD or SS, hard to spot at all in a game while I'm playing it and it's only when I stop and toggle the option on/off in a game like Red Faction Guerrilla for example that I notice objects like canisters and drums have extra shadows with AO on. It is very hard to see any differences at all in those screenshots above to be honest, it's only in the last two that I can see an additional shadow otherwise they all look identical to me!

It's not an effect I'd miss to tell the truth, not like say HDR lighting which has a more pronounced affect on a game's lighting, making it look more natural and less flat. Each to their own though.

20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    In online shooters you want to have framerate of 60FPS as minimum at all cost.
    I would set everything to low if i would have to.

Even i have above 60FPS i set some things to low to see better , it's giving my advantage.

Like bloom, disabling it it's one of the things you need to do , no matter how many FPS you have just because it is disatvantage.