AVP 2010(AVP3) One of the finest games in years(based on demo impressions)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Mkilbride, Feb 4, 2010.

1. shaderlord

shaderlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 280 OC
    Gamespot gave 5,5 to the XBox version of the game. It can't be that bad. Can't wait to play it on PC.

Here's a gameplay video from the marine campaign. The guy who completed it said it's like 4 hours for each campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfAOkebriRI

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I just couldn't resist. I'm in for some avp action. Anything to get out of css addiction.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The rating is rough, but this game does seem to be a love or hate type of game, probably depends on how much you like the franchise.

Thats a decent amount of time for a SP campaign if you do all three.

4. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    Gamespot Reviews AvP
    AvP Game News | Posted by Darkness on 15 Feb 2010 18:44 GMT

People usually go to two websites for their gaming reviews: IGN and Gamespot. IGN UK gave AvP a 8.5/10 last week and today Gamespot have added their review along with their video review. It’s not good news, I’m afraid. They scored it 5.5/10. Quite a stark contrast from IGN’s review. They liked the Trophy Kills, and some of the varied multiplayer modes like Infestation and Predator Hunt but they didn’t like the singleplayer campaigns at all. They said the levels were badly designed and the controls weren’t very good along with many other little problems.

It’s the little things that really drag the game down. Aliens vs. Predator seems to be a well-meaning attempt at reinvigorating a languishing series, but grotesque kills and some entertaining multiplayer moments don’t cut it–not when so many slick and exciting shooters are on store shelves, vying for your time. The attention to detail, the well-considered level design, and the sense of momentum that characterize the finest shooters are missing here. Aliens vs. Predator is sometimes enjoyable but never escapes an overwhelming sense of carelessness, so while it may remind you of the good old days, it fails to recapture them.

In the past, Gamespot scored AvP2 8.7/10 and AvP1 8.3/10. IGN US have yet to put up their review. There’s another review on Bit-Tech (7/10) and GameReactor (6/10)

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/
    the game spot reviewer doesn't have a clue what a good game is and just proves that there are big companies like that,and have no idea how to review a game.just like most of movie critics how no idea on how to rate a movie now days.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've cancelled my pre-order for this game based on the 5.5 from GameSpot and the negative early impressions from Giant Bomb. It might only be £18 on Amazon but it's a waste of money if the game is average or worst IMO. I had a feeling the game might not be very good after the lousy multiplayer demo but I was hoping the single player campaign would make up for it.

It's a real shame too as I've been looking forward to the game. Oh well... there's always Aliens: Colonial Marines...

6. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    :stewpid:

Good job listening to reviewers. You do know that Predator was reviewed as a horrible film originally, right? Everyone disliked it. Now it's a cult classic.

Army of Darkness got terrible reviews, under 40%. It's a cult classic and fan favorite.

Little Nicky & Billy Madison got under 20% on Rotten Tomatoes, but are excellent movies.

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Hehe... gamespot... ahhh, that's so cute.. they posted a review and everything. :D Honestly, is anyone surprised Gamespot gave AvP a bad review?
    I haven't trusted a review from gamespot in years, long before the issue with Jeff and the Kane and Lynch review.

And I find it funny you say "negative impressions" from Giant Bomb, when they've actually said a few times they love what have played. :) They stated the demo that was released was a bad representation of the final game because there are so many better gameplay modes they could've shown off.
    GB have said many times they really like and enjoy what they've seen from it.

8. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I thought it was typical for gamespot to do that.

9. Gheed

Gheed Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD5850
    I feel sorry for those that wasted money on this game. If you are playing for single player prepare for massive disappointment, if you are getting it for multiplayer, the servers will be empty in a couple weeks.

10. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah, you haven't played AVP1 or AVP2. Good game, pirate.

11. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    from the you tube videos I seen I still think the game is better then what game informer reviewer rated the game.my pre-order continues.

12. Chesty_Puller

Chesty_Puller Member Guru

I was highly anticipating this game until the demo was released and I played it.

Won't be picking this up until it's severely reduced in price.

13. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I still think it has a lot of potential ... maybe next time.

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I won't judge until i spend some time on the single player game.

Hopefully a demo appears, as multiplayer on any game only ever manages to keep my interest for 1-2days.

15. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB

16. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    AWESOM! i bought the game!!

another DX11!!!
    this year is going to be PC lovin with dx11 @@

17. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Ever since Gamespot mauled the excellent Kane and Lynch they have literally meant nothing to me as a review site. The AVP review is no exception.

Bring on the negative bollocks, my order shall not falter.

18. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
  19. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Nothing to do with the whole firing debacle and more the fact I thoroughly rated K&L as a decent game. And one I've replayed many times since both in solo and split screen mode. Roll on the sequel.

20. Tim_Ca

Tim_Ca Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    Can Someone please clarify something for me? I know the games used dx 9 and 11 but what about dx10? will those of us with dx10 compatible hardware get any extra eyecandy?