AA possible in BioShock 2?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by qda, Feb 9, 2010.

1. qda

qda Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    AA doesn't have much to do with a games design. Any polygonal object edge will display pixels without AA, and with AA the edges of in-game objects look that much nicer. Since the vid card has enough horsepower to do it, we would like it enabled. It doesn't take an hour to 'see a jaggy' - they are on every single edge of every ingame object.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Whats an Xbox got to do with the PC version he is playing?

Very few games support it ingame with UE3, the only one recently was Batman:AA and Nvidia got slaughtered for doing that, so we probably won't see it again.

The 360 will probably have AA in it because of the eDRAM.

This game does need AA, even at 1920x1080 its pretty noticeable, especially on a large screen.

3. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'm playing at 1920x1080 resolution. I have to say I thought Bioshock 1 had better graphics than the sequel.

4. qda

qda Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    your SS are too compressed to tell if AA is even being used :|

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Can't you go into the nvidia control pannel and set it to force aa or whatever the hell you want? I've done it in so many games that dont have (high) AA. Halo, Halo 2, MW2... and others.

6. qda

qda Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    sigh...

no. UT3 engine games have problems with AA in general.

7. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    No you need to learn how to optimize your computer.If I didnt stumble on to this discussion,I wouldnt of realized there wasnt any AA because the game looks perfectly fine to me on my computer.:)

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    What the hell is optimising his computer got to do with no AA?
    Since this this is a thread about lack of AA in Bioshock2, your also suggesting none of us know how to setup our PC's either.

All games have aliasing, how bad depends on the engine and what resolution your using, even at a pretty high one like 1920x1080 i have some aliasing, not the worst i've ever saw, but its there.

Just because its not noticeable for you, doesn't mean its not there, i've spotted aliasing on BluRays of CGI movies that other people don't notice, even after i've pointed it out.

9. qda

qda Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    This isn't a thread about whether the game looks good enough without AA, but about how to enable it for those who do want it.

10. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Well theres no way to turn on AA,so I guess thats the end of this thread.:)

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Are you just trying to be difficult for the sake of it?

People have already achieved it, just not everyone, thats the point of this thread, so they can be updated on new things to try.
    http://forum.nhancer.com/showpost.php?p=6171&postcount=5

12. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Hog's just trolling - no positive input, guess that's the end of his posting :).

@ harkinsteven - can you post those screenies as PNG files instead of JPG, as the compression makes it impossible to see the AA?

13. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Yeah,I spent 6 years here trolling,thats right.:)

14. Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel Guest

GPU:
    TITAN Xp
    SLI not working for me either..
    adding 'bioshock launcher' to CP didnt help..

15. Scalarscience

Scalarscience Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX580 Classifie
    Using 196.34 beta drivers...

For bioshock 1 I used to have to use -dx9 to get AA going in Vista/Win7, but now in Win7-64 I edit C:\Users\%Username%\Roaming\Bioshock\bioshock.ini and set RenderDevice=D3DDrv10.D3DRenderDevice10 under [Engine.Engine], then go to [D3DDrv10.D3DRenderDevice10] and set LevelOfAnisotropy=16, run the game once (so that these settings 'take' in the ini as the game closes again) and then go into the nvidia ctrl panel, make sure Bioshock is added/visible (games on my dedicated gaming drive don't always show up) and set it to 'enhance application setting' for AA - Mode and 4x for Setting.

The only changes I made for Bioshock 2 in it's C:\Users\%Uname%\Roaming\Bioshock2\Bioshock2SP.ini were to set LevelOfAnisotropy=16 under [BioDrv.BioRenderDevice] (I left RenderDevice=BioDrv.BioRenderDevice under [Engine.Engine] as the dx10 renderpath alternative seems to be missing a few entries I see under the BioDrv's section) and then add the game to the nvidia control panel and change a setting immediately then hit apply (the ctrl panel likes to 'lose' the profile with "show only programs found on this computer" checked if I leave it at defaults). Again "Enhance the application setting" for AA - Mode enabled AA fine...

16. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    ^^ tried that, still cant get it to work lol

17. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    Yep - works for me too /win7 64bit / 1680x1050 / latest nvidia beta driver - forced through nvidia control panel :)

18. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    could you upload me your ini?? il copy yours over and try that, maybe im over looking something?

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    AA is working fine for me too with the default profile included with the 196.34 beta drivers. I just forced it to 4xAA and used the override setting and the game is clearly anti-aliased. Works exactly like it did for the first game - unsurprising seeing as this is the same engine - but for some strange reason the framerate goes from 60 fps to 30 fps, sometimes for no reason at all, whereas with 8xAA and transparency multisampling the first game ran 99.9% of the time at 60 fps. I'm wondering if I should just edit the BioShock2SP.ini file to cap the framerate at 30 fps for a smoother experience since the sudden drop from 60 fps to 30 fps is very noticeable even if the game isn't stuttering as such.

I suppose it could have something to do with the UseSoftwareAntiAliasing setting Harkinsteven mentioned earlier, i.e. when AA is forced the game is applying software then hardware AA causing a severe performance drop.

20. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    well i used the nhancer profile on the previous page and its worked, 2x2S or something, how can i change it to juse say 4xAA or 8xAA, i doesnt give me the options, ive never used nhancer before (i know lol) so aint got a clue.

edit:ignore that, managed to get my head around it, game looks so much sharper now without all those jaggies, frame rate is solid aswell.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010