HDMI vs. DVI for gaming

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ElektroGuy, Feb 8, 2010.

1. ElektroGuy

ElektroGuy Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ARHD 5870
    I was wondering if there's any difference in quality between HDMI and DVI for strictly gaming. I recently bought a 1920x1080 24" monitor with HDMI and DVI hook ups and with my HD 5870 I decided to use the HDMI jack instead of the DVI for once. Is there any difference between the two regarding gaming? Any info is appreciated!

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Nope. It is the same digital signal.

3. tommcd64

tommcd64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadfire 2 4870 X2's
    The only difference is that hdmi carries an audio signal as well as digital video whereas the dvi is only a video signal.

4. keithlm

keithlm Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 290X LCS
    They are basically the same.

But I think that even "cheap" HDMI cables have better shielding than most DVI cables. (I had some interference with DVI and it is completely gone with HDMI.)

5. 007L2Thrill

007L2Thrill Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 480
    Well depends on your monitor, if it’s a good one then yes HDMI is a little bit better as you can use Deep Colour and HD audio from blue ray’s, like my monitor I have, if I use DVI then it does not have deep blacks, but on HDMI I have deep blacks.

But really comes down to your self if you can’t tell the difference then use any, I know a couple people that can’t tell the difference from a DVD to a blue ray lol!

6. DualCORE1

DualCORE1 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
  7. 007L2Thrill

007L2Thrill Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 480
    Yes that would work, but why?, you say you are using a DVI to HDMI dongle, do you mean adapter, if so then what you are using is better, you can change the HDMI cables to better quality ones if you like.

8. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Why? Its the same video signal.

Also, EMI shielding is the biggest crock I've ever seen. Its a Digtal signal, 0 or 1. High or low pulse, people. Unless you are getting wrong color output, EMI shielding will accomplish nothing. Makes a good marketing pitch though...

9. DualCORE1

DualCORE1 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    no i ment to say i have got a DVI to HDMI dongle not using it, iam using dvi at moment

10. tomgreen321

tomgreen321 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD6870
    For long runs it is needed.

11. Cornelius

Cornelius Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 770 2GB
    Applying that same logic, one would argue that a Cat5 and Cat6 cable are equivalent, simply because they carry digital signals across the same number of copper wires.

Better shielding/quality helps in the case of longer cable runs. For example, some 30m HDMI cable will not carry 1080p60 signal. Others will, however.

But in the case of 3m cable, a $5 from any no-name vendor will give you the same result as a $50 one from monster, provided they adhere to the same HDMI spec.

That being said, monster sucks. Monoprice ftw!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  12. DualCORE1

DualCORE1 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    so i just need a dvi to hdmi cable and use it with the dvi to hdmi adaptor i got with graphics card or should i just stick with dvi

13. 007L2Thrill

007L2Thrill Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 480
    Hi mate, let me get this right, you are using DVI at the moment but want to use HDMI on you LCD, then the cable you said will do the job with out no adapter, but the adapter you have now you can just plug that in to your graphic card and just plug a HDMI lead in to it and the other end of the HDMI lead in to the back of you monitor’s HDMI socket, that’s it.

14. Cornelius

Cornelius Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 770 2GB
    I'm guessing your monitor has both DVI and HDMI inputs. In that case, stick with whatever comes out of your graphics card or whatever cable you currently have.

The only thing HDMI adds to DVI is audio. Otherwise, they have the same pinouts for video.