Quad Users, will you upgrade to Thuban X6?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by C4ampere, Feb 8, 2010.

1. C4ampere

C4ampere Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670 Top
    AMD Phenom II X6 (AKA Thuban) will likely be available in Q2 2010.
    I have not decided if I should put my money on this CPU.
    Will we see performance in games increase or many cases even less performance compared to Quads?

A dream scenario would be if games written for the console market (3 core systems) such as GTA4, could load share on all 6 cores thus use twice the amount of cores compared to a Quad.

And in games written for PC market in what perspective can they benefit from 6 cores, will they ever?

2. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Just my tid bit; people said games would never use Quad cores, and they have started, and the performance increases are quite nice.(BFBC2 for example, people with Quads have almost double performance over those with DC, due to intensive Physics)

3. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i think the main benefit would be the increase in calculations per second, which may help ease the cpu bottleneck in some games (maybe gta4 will finally run at 60fps...) and some crossfire setups.

im planning on upgrading to an 890fx and possibly a thuban in the next two months (even tho ive only had my quad for 4 months), mainly because i can afford to (funny how much money i can spend considering i work in the pizza industry) and because ive already got a friend who's willing to buy my quad and my 790fx mobo.

i also use my computer for video editing, so until ati stream and opencl are implemented more openly, im sure i could make use of the extra processing power.

4. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    No =), its working fine as it is, ill more than prolly skip the x6 generation, and even x8 if i can.

also being double than X3 cores, it has nothing to do with better optimization.

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I'll probably pass on the x6...At least the first rounds of them. They just seem like they'll be monsters to keep cool, plus, I barely use a quad at this point.

6. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    It'd be two more cores for encoding. Definitely a big plus. Turbo boost is also a nice feature, we'll see how that plays out. If it's another $250-300 upgrade I'll probably pick one up in Q3-Q4 that's a revision or two newer, a model faster, and a bit more efficient. Plus it would allow MSI the time to work out kinks in the BIOS I figure. Aside from that the only other upgrade I'd like is more drive space at the moment.

7. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000

Not really. And this is a full 3 years after quads hit the market don't forget! 6 core CPU's will be the same way but probably 5 years down the road. If you mainly game paying a premium for 6 cores is silly at best. You will not be using those 2 extra cores in your gaming whatsoever. It would be like buying a V8 for city driving only with the odd highway drive once in a blue moon. Makes no sense at all, just buy that sweet 4 cylinder and save on gas!!

quad cores are just starting to be utilized in games, and to be fair I wouldn't even say a full 4 cores yet.

8. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    If going hexacore means settling for lower clock speeds, which it probably will, then you'll see a drop in gaming performance. However, if you can afford it and overclock it, then why the hell not. You're a Guru after all. The more the merrier!

9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    No, unless I suddenly won a lottery or someone gives me one for free.

EDIT: Since when I designed this rig with a Phenom II quad core in mind, I don't think I'd buy into a hexacore until Bulldozer comes out.

deltatux

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  10. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    DX11 supports multi-cores more than any other DX, more threads/cores will be adopted sooner than some think.

11. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Judging by your system specs you are an early adopter anyways so guys like you are always trying to justify why you pay top dollar for new stuff =)

12. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I'll pass maybe the first versions but I'll buy the 32 nm version more than certain. I also do mkv encoding so as some1 sad before more cores are better.:banana:. very important will be also the Turbo function.

13. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT

he didnt pay top dollar for his stuff, unless the i7 is very old, they are affordable now, my PII was 250€ with (PII mobo and +2gb ram hyperx), and his I7 maybe a little more, but i think it was like 350

I also think that nowadays quads are almost unused, but well :banana:

14. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Folks stop the bashing and listen to the facts.

DX 11 utilizes Quad Core much better than Dual Core. Developers are VERY interested in DX 11. It's time to stop trying to justify Dual Cores and realise times are changing.....yet again.

These same arguments happend with single and dual cores.

Stop the bashing and look at the facts.

To anser the OP.

No I wont be going 6 cores, as I'll be downgrading performance wise.

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I don't see anyone bashing quad cores. I myself have a quad core, but I don't see the reason to invest in a hexacore this fast since I got this quad core a year ago, so I won't be harvesting the best bang per buck imo.

Like I said, I'm skipping for Bulldozer unless my rig burns out before that (hopefully not since I don't have the cash to rebuild atm.)

deltatux

16. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Have absolutely no interest in a 6 core system, all these console ports dont even use more than 50% of my current quad( and thats just the handful of games that support quad core like GTA IV or Prototype ), 6 cores will be needed when the PS4 or 720( or whatever it will be called ) arrive, so if they arrive in late 2012 then we have nearly 3 years before having to upgrade( 2 and a half years + 6 months of any console game delay for PC version )

DX11 only uses multiple cores to allow parallel processing of the shaders rather than having it queued in 1 queue as in DX10 and previous DX versions. Its not going to significantly increase performance as its just going to reduce the gpu bottlenecking the cpu while the cores are waiting for the graphics to be updated.

17. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    If your a gamer I see no reason to upgrade since many games are now console ports; and most pc only games only use 2 cores. Personally my amd x4 955be with a 4890 will last me til 2013 I think :)

18. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    Yes the same arguments happened between single and dual core....And overall most games still do not see MAJOR benefits from more than 2 cores. True multi-threaded computing was available in Dx10, but no one got on board on that one.

The thing is that the average computer user/gamer does not have a quad core or SLI...From a developers perspective, making a game that won't play right on a dual core simply from "lost computational" power would be throwing money out the window.

Yes, the consoles have multi cores, but they are almost 100% identical to, so someone making a game has to verify that it works on ONE Xbox, versus the multitude of pc configurations.

I have yet to play a game that I liked that uses more than 2 cores for any sort of justifiable cost increase.

19. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    When it hits eight-cores then maybe.

20. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    I think the average computer user doesnt play games on their system, all it gets used for is internet and music/movies. If them people want to play games they more than likely have a console.
    People who do choose to play games on their pc's are more savvy to tech like us guys.
    And i think developers are realising this more and more now.
    So yeah id like to have a hex core when they get released.