Transparent background for GPU monitor gadget?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by cnckane, Feb 5, 2010.

1. cnckane

cnckane Guest

GPU:
    Mobility 4650
    I think the transparent background looks better than that black, it's posibble to do this?

2. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    I just tried it real quick and the background worked fine, but doing so changed the text and graph lines to pink. I'll see if I can figure that out and I'll include it in the next release, along with optionally removing the border too.

[​IMG]

3. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    I should be able to get around that semi-transparent turning pink issue with some css tricks. Here's a new example:

[​IMG]

It does cause a few other issues, but I should be able to resolve those.

4. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Sup Nick... Looking good dude. Any chance you could add an option for virtical bars.?

5. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Not in the next release. That would require a lot of changes.

I'm liking this transparent thing though.....it allows you to click through the gadget so if you are using this as a HUD over a game in windowed mode it does not get in the way. Playing full screen, you would still have to use RT's OSD, but this is a nice alternative to have graphs (history) in a HUD. Here's a simple example running over FurMark. I'm going to add an option to also not display a gadget title too, just to allow you to clean that up if you want.

[​IMG]

6. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Im liking that dude.. Is it possible to only have a selected Gadget instance whilst in full screen.?

7. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    This won't work at all in "Full Screen" mode. When you launch a game full screen, everything in windows is not visible at all. RivaTuner's OSD works differently, presumably by intercepting the DirectX and OGL calls and overlaying the text in the frame to be drawn just before the card renders it.

Gadgets are just window instances spawned by a common process (sidebar.exe). Because they are separate windows, you can separately specify if they will be "always on top" or not.

So for instance, right now I have 4 gadgets (gpu, cpu, system, hdd) without the option always on top selected they behave like they are part of the desktop. And I have a 5th one like pictured above which only has a few monitors in it and is set to always be on top. You can use this one as a HUD, but the game has to run in "windowed mode".

That make sense? There's no way for me to make the gadget on top in full screen mode. And there's also no way for me to recognize you are launching a game and dynamically change your gadgets to filter stuff out, make it transparent, relocate its position and set it to be always on top. You have to control it manually.

8. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Makes total sense now you have explained it in depth. Nick is it possible to add an option for a simple digital 24hr clock.? i only ask this because having a clock gadget does not look right next to GPU monitor. Kinda spoils the look of my desktop.

9. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    I don't think I want to add any specific features that fall outside the scope of RivaTuner.

What I may be willing to do would be write another plugin that displays the time in "hh.mm" format and lets you choose 12 or 24 hour format. There is a clock plugin already, but it displays as "hhmmss" and the gadget only supports up to 9999.

So if you had something like 08.12 or 20.12, instead of 201248, you could display it in the gadget using one of the existing formats. But it would not be a digital font, although I could tell you how to hack that easily enough.

10. R0m

R0m Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 260
    Hi,
    I know that it is an old thread but I am currently in the same case.
    When I enable transparency GPU monitor becomes pink...
    So stangowner (or anybody else) what did you do to solved this problem ?

11. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Transparency requires you to use an Aero desktop theme as mentioned here. There should be nothing else needed. Right click the desktop and select Personalize.

12. R0m

R0m Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 260
  13. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    I can confirm the same behavior. Give me a few days to check into why it broke. I'll reply back here shortly.

14. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    I'm not sure exactly why it broke. Its not the first time M$ updates have done this. I tried to find a work-around for several hours, with no success.

The only supported way of making a transparent background seems to be using the g:background methods to add images and/or text. This gadget is far too complicated to be limited to calls that are so elementary.

Given the fact M$ took down the gadget site several months ago, I don't envision them fixing this. They have abandoned gadgets all together. So at this point, I don't think there is anything that can be done. Sorry. You'll have to use a colored background.