Aliens vs Predator (2010)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by MetalFox, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I agree that its a pretty poor marketing strategy to release such a basic demo, there certaintly isn't anywhere near enough to convince me to buy this, those Play does have it at £18 which is tempting.

As for the consolitis, these days that has to be expected with every multiplatform game, people should learn to be pleasantly suprised when it isn't the case, rather than disappointed when it is.

2. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I agree, thats why my first reaction to this when I tried it was very much just meh, another crap port. Next. Which is a shame, as many ports could be good with a bit more resources, seems like they get the tea boy newb doing the PC port in a month.

Now compared to the BFBC2 Beta, that is one I'm pleasantly surprised with and you never know but could become a showcase port. Hell it beats all we have gotten recently from a hill of rubbish with MW2 on top as the king. They could have just released it as it was and got good sales, but we got dedicated servers, optimized UI, and even promised FOV change or slider after the uproar in the beta.

3. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    That's how I think, so indeed I don't get disappointed when the game plays like a port. Ultimately though, that expectation doesn't sway me at all, as I still don't buy most ported titles.

4. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    well i had a try today personally i thought it was utter **** hopefully after this rebellion wont be making any more games and hopefully no publisher will touch them ever

5. Darth_Sidious

Darth_Sidious Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia 8800 GTS
    Happy to disappoint you, but the alien/predator fan-base alone will make this game sell a lot.

It's funny reading all these posts that have child-like mentalities. So just because you don't like a game means that no one else should like it either and the company deserves to go away? LOL. Don't like it, then don't buy it, but those other comments are so stupid.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Agreed, i also hate that sort of mentality, i dislike more games than i like, but unless i have been conned into buying it, then i have no bad feelings towards them.

Just because you didn't like a free demo, why do you want everyone else to suffer?

7. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G

Notice i said "personally" ?

if you dont like my opinion then get lost simple right?

8. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Replayed it.
    Hate the controls...especially with the Predator.
    I was wrong about my previous assesment.
    They gimped the Predator. Gotta find your weapons? The cloak isn't that good.
    Alien and Marine (lol marine) are more balanced than pred.
    Marine, point and shoot.
    Alien, uber speed.
    Predator, easy to kill.

9. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Sounds like you need to l2p mate.

10. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    The predator is extremely powerful if you get a hold of his disk, and in my experience will kick an aliens ass in frontal assaults. I found all the classes fairly well balanced after adjusting my play style appropriately.

11. Darth_Sidious

GPU:
    nvidia 8800 GTS
    So you honestly wish Rebellion ill-will just because you don't like their game? Wow, you have one selfish, non-considerate personality/mentality.

12. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    because they cant make games you idiot, where was the ill wishing? did i say something like "i hope the devs die" ? no didnt

l2readdumb****

13. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Agreed.
    Once you get used to the Predator's controls... he is extremely powerful to play as and it's very easy to dominate a match as him.

Biggest problem I've seen with people playing as the predator, they run around trying to run at people swinging away with their blades. The predator is built around stealth, sneaking up on people... set traps with mines, move slowly, try to come up behind people.

Works great.

Same with the alien. Take out lights, and move slowly in the darkness... try to stalk you target. The alien is fast enough (while running) you can wait for an enemy to turn his back to you (if you are hiding in the shadows) that you can sprint up on them and take them out with no problems.
    And don't just run at a marine, the more you move... he can follow you with the motion tracker. Move slowly and in short bursts. Once you stop moving, the tracker stops beeping.

Works great once you get the hang on the various species strengths.

I see to many people playing all three species with the "run n gun" mentality, and yeah... playing that way... the predator is going to suck.

14. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    i read on steam and sega forums that the pc demo was a basic port from the console demo. they did it, it sounds like, to save time and effort. kind of a questionable decision considering the community reaction...but anyway.. the dev team has confirmed that they're giving somewhat of a polishing to the pc version (dedicated servers, mod tools, gfx options, tessellation, etc) from which we can optimistically infer that they're NOT just porting this. of course, they're also stressing the multiplatform aspect.. and the console-y demo is just confusing people further.

15. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I need to ask this but what is the big deal if it is a port and what the hell is port y'all are talking about?can't you guys bashing it just enjoy the game for what it is,I cant get the hang of the pred for some reason but I'm pretty good with the Alien and Marine but being the predator will take some work.

16. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Whenever I play Alien, I dominate, even more so than with the Predator. By the time you turn around and see me, I'll have tricked you into turning around and I'll have sprinted through another entrance and came up behind you.
    Generally, Alien is actually ALL about speed and surprise.

The best advice anyone could give you in this game.... be paranoid. QUICKLY check every direction as you move, never let your back face the same way for more than several seconds, it only takes a second for a sprinting alien to do a finishing move out of nowhere.
    Marine is definitely the easiest species to play. The motion tracker pretty much tells you where incoming enemies are, and it ain't hard to 2-hit enemies with the secondary shot on the shotgun. Most skillful Marines sit and camp that 'middle' room with the many entrances, it's easy to know when something is coming and the grenade spawn makes it so much easier.

17. Darth_Sidious

GPU:
    nvidia 8800 GTS
    How are they devs going to make any money if they
    In case you didn't know, devs need people to buy their games to make a living. You did say you wanted them not to make any more games....

No making of games by Rebellion = Rebellion employees out of a job = ill-will by you

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  18. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    I'm getting sick and tired of all the disconnections and time-outs. Not sure if it's the game or ****ty Virgin Media.

19. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    I took the stealth route, actually.
    I found killing aliens with the pred really easy, but I couldn't get near a Marine before I was hosed.

20. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    Well same here ! But i know the full game will have dedicated servers and will be more optimized. This demo is poor with no effort in options.

Problem with timeout is because hosts are all over the world, some having bad connections and hardware......:)_'

I do want to keep trying though.

Hopefully get some decent matches on.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010