Getting a new Soundcard, X-FI Forte or Xonar DX?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Sparks, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy + KFA2 GTX 570 SLI
    ROBSCIX where did you see the Xonar dx so cheap? and if i take your advice and avoid the pc branded speakers then what do you recommend?
    Thanks

2. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Well personally, if you avoid PC Speakers, I'd say get Klipsch.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16829132006

Xonar DX, 89$

Though a 5.1 Set, cheapest one they sell is 400$, you'll also need a receiver, and speaker wire. It's quite an Ordeal.

Of course, they'll sound just that much better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780017

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290066

Polk Audio is also good. Basically, for non PC speakers, you'll need a receiver & speaker wire & cables. It's alot more expensive than normal PC speakers. I mean like "Damn."

Do not expect any under 100$ worth getting speakers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120140

Not such a bad deal for 300$, comes with a Receiver, too. Need to buy your own cables & wire still, though those are cheap, I recommend:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2747&seq=1&format=2

That's a good site for cheap parts like this.

Just saying, while actual Speakers will sound better than PC speakers, be willing to shell out some serious cash.

Even just 2 bookshelf speakers can run for 200$, no Subwoofer or anything.

Maybe if you just want some excellent 2.0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836193011

No Subwoofer though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836196007

Again, you'd still need a Receiver, wires, ect.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  3. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:
    Lol I see thats US$89. I forget to mention i'm in Australia. Never heard of Klipsch before but I'll check em out. Also I have two good bookshelf speakers witch I found on the street and repaired... I dont have a amp though. I heard about those class d amps though and I was wondering were I could get them IN AUSTRALIA!!!

4. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:

5. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Lol.

Australia makes that alot harder. My friend over there has a very limited selection to chose from.

Klipsch is a very well respected audio maker in the Audiophile world. Just saying, it's cheaper to go for PC speakers, less work involved. Only go for non-PC Speakers if you've got cash burning holes in your pocket.

Yeah, those look good, but as you said, 300$ for just 2, and you'd still need a Subwoofer & Receiver + wires.

6. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    i have the D2 the same as the d2x and love the card sound quality is so so crisp and suround sound works wonders with it

i am however running opticle out and not analogue

[​IMG]

7. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:
    LOL I certainly dont have cash burning holes in my pocket but if it is really worth it im prepared to spend a year saving up... Also how important is a subwoofer really? lets say I get the ones in the guru3d review, do i really need a subwoofer?
    Anyway I think ill probably either use my two existing bookshelf speakers and just get an amp or ill go all the way to 5.1 pc speakers.
    btw thanks barwell1992. how much better is optical out and what speakers do u use?

8. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    guys need to make a question.....i will have my essence ST today till afternoon here anw..i think i find it very cheap at 165 eurw so i took it...but its from a site called zizanio.de site is: http://www.zizanio.de/eshop.php

i cant w8 for it...bit actually need to know what the prices of this card there you live??? to make a compare.

9. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:
    I live in Aussi land so cant really help. sorry m8

10. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:
    just was looking at these:
    Beheringer MS20
    What about quadrophonic sound? 2 front, 2 back, no sub, no center. Dont see why I would need a center as its for PC not TV and they have pretty good base so no sub should be fine. what do you guys think? (later i might add to side channels if I want to.)

11. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    the sub is very very important also i think the centre is as well

PS look at some old mordaunt short speakers but you will need a amp as well

my kit not in suround sound set up at the moment as im having walls knocked out of my room to change it around

[​IMG]

12. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    i have the essence ST now and i tesy=t...just for anyone to know its has no include the H6 expation card...thx god i had the hdav 1.3 deluxe so i use it from it!~!~!~

13. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:
    Nice++ I see why u need a center speaker. your front speakers are so far away. I sit pretty close to my screen so my speakers will be right up against the edge of my screen which means there wont be a big gab between for the center speaker. As for sub I can always add that later I guess.

14. Sparks

Sparks Master Guru

GPU:
    Barwell is optical really worth it? and is there even optical out on Xonar d2?

15. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    no problem m8ty thx for the interest btw!!!!!!!

-----------
    Xonar Essence ST blows my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so much better than hdav....!!!
    i like more i suround and games...i feel better for sure!!!!!!

16. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    the center does the voice in games as movies the rest handle the abiant sounds and the sub handles the sub 100hz bass so with a explosion the sub will shake the floor and add depth and fear in the audio also its good for music, the center is some what the most important bit of kit as it creates a semless sound field at the front so you dont get a gap in-between the two speakers where there's not much sound, it also makes it more natural to listen to as sounds above 100hz are directional so you can tell where there comming from but because of the far apart left and righ and then the center its hard to tell the sound is from speakers and and makes it sound more real life

i had no other option as the analog on my AMP was broken (cant be botherd to open the amp up) and yes the coaxial jacks on the back (right hand black and grey) doble up as optical outputs with a pass through adapter that is tiny

the disadvantage is you dont use the cards DAC's so you could actuly get worse sound quality but a decent 5.1+ amp will be just as good in my opinion, BUT you only need 1 cable and you can use dolby digital/DTS

[​IMG]

17. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    crap now i need new Headphones for my Xonar Essence ST...my HD595 is cool and very good but i want more hihihihihihohohoho...inside this month i go for the HD650 or the HD800 lets see...how deep i go!xD

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If your getting headphones that expensive, I would advise you to get a higher quality headphones amplifer.

19. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    with you sugest m8 for head amp? your opinion will be helpfull!!!!

20. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ye, a subwoofer will be very important, I know with my speakers w/ them off, songs sound flat and annoying.

deltatux