Battlefield - Bad Company 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by PirateNeilsouth, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    Shadows DX10/11 :

DX10 :

[​IMG]

DX11 :

[​IMG]

DX10 :

[​IMG]

DX11 :

[​IMG]

2. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    So a little list of things I think DICE needs to work on, for you guys to agree / disagree with, ok here goes:

- Fix the FOV, from 60 to atleast 90, atm everything is too up close and if you got a large screen it just doesn't look right.

- Fix the server lags in general ( Personally I been playing with 25-55 ping but it feels like it is higher sometimes, and with the G15 keyboard you can see the ping etc if you didn't know )

- Snipers, they are a menance and they are much too easy to get kills with atm. Something is wrong when 70% of your team are snipers and you constantly have to change squad since everyone in your entire team is camping the hill...

- General carbine damage seems VERY weak atm, and I personally experienced putting 12-15 accurate shots in people from behind with the M60 medic LMG and they kept on running ( Using redot sight from <30m ranges bursting 2-3 bullets at a time ) People just don't die - then you get 1 shotted by a sniper you cannot even see, makes 0 sense.

- Lack of prone and lean, I really miss these in the game atm. I simply miss it feels so limted to only be able to stand and sit..
    * BF2 had dolphine divers, that was bad but removing prone 100% feels worse imo. Make so that you cannot fire your weapon for 1.5s after you first entered prone so that it is not repeatedly used as an "instant" defensive tool to avoid bullets and at the same time fire back effectivly. This way you seriously limit the abusiveness of prone wich I know people hated in BF2.
    * Another way to make prone spamm useless as a defensive tool while firing back is to have a "severe" shake effect that really rattles your screen and throws you out of balance for 1.5 s. Two diffrent ways of getting the same effect.

- The crosshairs or sights when your not in "zoom" mode are too big/rough on all resolutions, on 1920x1200 it really feels like your playing in 800x600. This surly is connected to the too small FOV.

- Infinite sprint is rediculous, it should be allowed in short bursts on a timer, and you should be allowed to strafe and sprint at the same time.

- Granades splash damage is not balanced imo. Does too much damage in the open and too little in confined spaces, like small rooms and bunker structures. A granade blows out a room completly, in the open field with modern kevlar and body plates your not gonna get killed by a granade. More of a fine tuning then a total mockup. Probably as many opinions about that as there are ketchup brands :)

Well that is my list of things I want changed if I'm seriously gonna consider this my next big FPS fix.

It is a beta and it surely feels abit rough, and I hope DICE don't think that they can release it as is, 'cus it isn't 100% ready imo and they need to polish graphics, performance, bugs and over all streamline the product.

On a sidenote, I was woundering if other people sometimes have noticed that there is an odd aura around objects, like tank barrels..like a see through 'barrier' surrounding certain objects when you move past them - almost look like Unreal engine "shimmering". Might be some ati or 4870x2 issue but whatever it is it doesn't look good at all.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  3. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Yah there deffo is a slight diffrence in the quality of some shadows. Look at the sat disc on the wall and on the telephone line - totally smooth in dx11 and jagged on dx10. Other then that not that much diff that I can spot.

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i think i FIXED my problem..My resolution was set to 1920*1080 by default.. i was thinking to set it to 1400*900. then i realized that my current resolution was not 60 HZ..i set it to 1920*1080 60 HZ..and now game is smooth :D

5. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    I agree with some of your points, Sneakers, so I'll go through them with my opinions and such. This is, by no means, meant to create a debate or anything, just points that you have mentioned and I feel like responding to :p

Yes, totally agree with this for sure. Don't have much else to say about it since you're spot on with it ;)
    Netcode definitely needs to be improved. It is very poor at the moment.
    Snipers are only a pain in the ass if the player is. Having said that, it's only a matter of time before everyone gets super awesome at it. I think it would be wise to limit it to maybe 1 per squad?
    Yeah... I don't understand this either. I know it's a game but its based on realistic weapons, equipment, vehicles, etc and so IMO and a lot of others, the damage that they receive is FAR too little. In addition, save for headshots and people who have already been wounded, I've never been able to kill someone in 1 shot with an M24. I once came around the corner after just spawning and was shot once in the leg and died. How do I know it was in the leg? Well my friend was behind me and was like "dude you just got shot in the leg once and died, you suck". I cried a little, but that's not the point :nerd:
    I'll address lean first. I don't remember the last time I've seen lean in a game. Did CoD MW1 have it? I can't remember. It makes a lot of sense to have it but personally I don't care too much about it either way.

As for prone. Well, that should definitely be included. I think both your ideas are excellent in having a 1.5s cooldown and a severe shaking effect both getting up and going down. I don't know if anyone is or has been in the army before but when you're running with all your gear and you go in the prone and back up not only are you winded but you're also not aiming correctly because well, you're getting up. I could go into all the mechanics of this but I'm sure none of you care :p.
    Agreed. I also think they should have some sort of transparency (I think the shotgun reticle does). Other than sniper rifle scopes and other sights, solid crosshairs look bad.
    Agreed. Running with gear on IS tiring but you`re still able to strafe and zigzag. Especially uphill. While it`s raining... with no sleep for 2 days... Speaking from experience :p
    If you`ve ever seen an explosion either in real life or on the internet or TV, you`ll know that they are very deadly in close spaces. Grenades are very lethal and one of my favourite weapons... fun to throw :D
    I`m not sure why the console graphics look WAY better, but I do know why they run better... and that`s simply because of optimization. I know DICE can do a better job and I`m hoping that this beta will help them optimize their product significantly because I`m 100% positive that if they do a good job at optimizing it and it runs very well on a wide range of systems their sales will be better.
    I notice this as well. I notice it most around the pipes when looking out towards the water.

There`s a lot of other concerns and issues that are present but I think that covers some of the main ones. Other things like control issues, settings not sticking, etc... but as the beta goes on I`m positive those will be sorted out.

EDIT: Holy wall of text, Batman! :p

6. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    I disagree wholeheartedly with your opinion on sprinting and strafing. Right now it takes some effort to actually zigzag, but if you could strafe, everyone would do it constantly. It just isn't that easy in real life, it's very tiring to constantly change your direction while springing. And keep in mind, it's sprinting, not running. The soldiers in Bad Company 2 run by default, although it's more of a tactical pace than a full out sprinting speed.

I don't wanna see everyone zigzagging on a battlefield, it would look retarded.

7. Gheed

Gheed Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD5850
    List of priorities:

1) FOV needs to be fixed
    2) Guns need to do more dmg
    3) Low res textures need to be replaced
    4) Prone or lean
    5) Balancing on weapons

8. anticitizen013

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    IMO it takes zero skill to do it now since all you do is turn the mouse every now and then. It's very tiring to do a lot of things in real life but this is a game. If they allowed strafing while sprinting they could have it so you slow down slightly whenever you strafe. This would make it so you get the impression of fatigue and struggle while trying to avoid getting shot but make everyone happy that you can still strafe while sprinting. Sprinting right now feels too restricting, IMO.

9. dshramek

dshramek Guest

Yeah, strafing is not hard at all, you just have to use your mouse.
    I find it odd that people assume every single shooter should be controlled the exact same way. Once you learn the little differences, it is a very easy game to control. Heli flying is great, just a tiny bit different than BF2.

What I find problematic, is unloading 1/2 a clip from an lmg into a sniper at medium range & he lives, but he manages to kill me with 2-3 hits from a m9 pistol.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2010
  10. anticitizen013

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Ok in terms of firearms... this is quite possibly the biggest pet peeve of mine EVER:

[​IMG]

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    dshramek: there's a BIG difference between having the ability to strafe a little while running.... and turning with your mouse while running. Long story short.... one requires you to move your crosshairs away from the general direction of your objective. I don't remember seeing a game that didn't let you strafe while sprinting AT ALL. Told my friend, who didn't get into the beta, that you can't strafe while running, and he was like "Really?"

12. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Arg, this game bothers me. Testing even at 1080 with 8xAA, I still see lots of jaggies. You cant force supersampling AA or AF in CCC either. Big turn off.

13. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    I'm quite sure it was the same in BF2 and all other battlefield series. Their take on it to balance the sprint vs strafe out is to make it impossible to sprint +strafe, I get that.

But the diffrence is that you have to make compromises, everything cannot be lifelike in a game and realism shouldn't come in the way of gameplay like that, atleast thats my take on this issue. I mean I already perma sprint + use the increased movement special "skill" and use the mouse to sway back and forth bunny jumping style ( but ofc not jumping :) )..my point is that you can still zigzag but it comes at the expense of gameplay. It is putting to much focus on the whole "movement" rather then on moving tactically, positioning, awareness of the situation aiming, choose of weaponary and so on. I mean it is an unnecessary element that really brings nothing to the experience except making it "labour intense" instead of making it a natural component.
    Obviously running in a straight line should be faster then strafing + running and thats the tradeoff here, you should loose forward momentum while you sprint + strafe, but still move faster then if you didn't sprint. This takes us back to the "perma" sprint thing they have atm, that should be tweaked.

Having people permasprinting + zigzaging with mouse is less realistic then a short sprint + strafing at reduced forward movment compared to sprinting in a straight line. As I see it DICE are beeing lazy here, taking the easy route and it lowers overall quality, and the impression of 'freedome' imo.

14. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    10.1's I get the same flickering issues with my 4890's.

15. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Sneakers: Well.... it IS rather idiotic to have a game that's even REMOTELY focused on reality but not be able to semi-sprint and strafe at the same time. Hell.... that basically IS tactical. You don't see people running straight across an open road in a war-like situation... not looking up or down the street. They kinda run sideways, or run while moving sideways across the street to try to get further down the street. removing the ability to strafe while sprinting seems like they're trying to tell us that the soldiers of Bad Company don't have the ability to do two things at the same time. Thank god that's not the case, otherwise you'd have to stand still to shoot the gun, and couldn't turn and fire, either. Now that i think about it.... i hope Dice doesn't see this, otherwise i may have just given them MORE ideas.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Tried the 360 demo, can't say I'm too impressed by it.

17. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    The game is plain awesome, played for 6 hours straight. It's 6:30AM in Germany here now, so i better call it a day. :D

18. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    Apart from EVERY other Battlefield game you mean right?

Strafe running would turn this into another dumb run and gun COD-a-like. No thanks.

100% agree with this.

Totally agree with this.

This game needs prone, I just don't understand why it's not in the game.

I agree with this but the strafe running would turn it into a tardathon.

This is an understatement. Buggy, unbalanced and glitchy as hell at the moment. But I still have hope.

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    NO PRONE..IT WONT HAPPEN. i hope it never be..PRONE= camping= ruining game..

A sniper snipes me..hit me once, i survive and he cant prone so i cant spot him and i can kill him..if he prone, i cant see him so it will ruin my FUN..

This is a game people..its balanced well for no lean and no prone..sorry we cant agree on that :p

20. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Yah thats exactely my point :)

Little things like not beeing able to sprint + strafe ( in any way shape or form ), together with a too narrow/small FOV at 60, no prone no lean those things are dealbreakers for me kinda.

I cannot imagine playing this game competativly and NOT have more freedome in the controls, like lean behind a wall to check the action, or prone to hide and ambush and a wider fov so the game doesn't look like you playing it on your mobilephone :infinity:

I think lean, prone sprint should all come with tradeoffs to balance them out.

I think most people agree that:

1) Dolphinedivers = bad
    2) perma sprint means everyone is sprinting all the time wich obviously = bad
    3) ppl shooting accuratly behind a wall/corner using lean = bad

I mean all these things are nice and imo necessary in a modern fps shooter but they all have to come with tradeoffs. And DICE need to manup and put in the hours to code these tradeoffs, though to be honest I would rather have lean + prone + strafesprint and be met with a "fade to black" screen as a 'tradeoff' or penalty for 1.5s then NOT having them b/c it is too short ammount of time to put in new animations and code. :wanker:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.