Mass Effect 2 tweaking...

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by syklonis, Jan 27, 2010.

1. shadow85

shadow85 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 STRIX OC (SLi)
    Hey how come your textures look nice in the background? What settings/commands are u using, can u show me plz?

What GPU r u using? Im using a GTX 295 but my background textures look very bland compared to that screen shot.

2. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Hum What do you mean they look nice? It's maxed stock settings from the game.

3. SpykeAlpha

SpykeAlpha New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 295 (x2)
    I only had that happen to me consistently on the Citadel (where you are). Once I zoned back to another level (or just out of the Citadel) I haven't had that Z-Buffer fight except rarely with someone's eyes during a conversation (And even then it is only for a second or so).

My textures look like his does. I'm going to post my GamerSettings.ini Systemsettings section as well as my nHancer profile.

GamerSettings Systemsettings:

[SystemSettings]
    BorderlessWindow=False
    Fullscreen=True
    QualityBloom=True
    DynamicShadows=True
    LightEnvironmentShadows=True
    MaxCharacterCinematicLightingPasses=3
    EnableLightEnvSHLights=True
    MotionBlur=False
    FilmGrain=False
    ResX=1920
    ResY=1200
    Resolution=_1920x1200
    DepthOfField=False
    bEnableMouseSmoothing=False
    bUseMouseDampening=False
    MouseSensitivity=0.12
    AccumulationDivisor=600.0f

(The last few deal with giving you a lot more control over the mouse. Basically goes from being "smooth" to "precise".)

My nHancer profile:

Mass Effect 2: Customized Profile

AA: 16x,TranspSS
    AACompat: 8020205
    AF: 16x
    VSync: On TripleBuffer+
    AO+
    AOFlags:10
    Power:Max
    SLI: AFR-4W [0x02400005]
    Trilin+
    NegLOD: Clamp
    MipMap:Tri

(I know Ambient Occlusion doesn't probably do anything but it doesn't cause issues that I can tell so I'm leaving it on just in case it does help visually in any scenes. And yes, I play with Vsync on. Nothing will destroy my experience faster then screen tear.)

4. Wanny

Wanny Guest

THANKS GOD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE! You know what I will now stop worrying about it because someone finally recognized the issue I have. You are right, it's not happening everywhere, only in certain repeatable occasions.

Anyway I could get AA + SLI with constant 60 FPS so far. I use SLI mode 13, 22, 25 compat. and AA Flag 08020205. Works well so far.

[​IMG]

5. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    Anyone know how to hack a game file that will let you walk without holding a button all day?

I hate that they did that.:biggun:

You should walk and run...THATS IT!

I can't believe you can't just hit a key to switch between walk & jog.....

Lets fix this guys...So it's better for us all!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  6. exaslave

exaslave Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 560ti
    I replaced the "load_f01.bik" file in the "BioGame > Movies" folder with a copy of "load_f99.bik" so to make some of the load parts faster, a quicksave then quickload or simply "resume" when launching the game takes 15 secs normal for me but with the replaced load_f01.bik it takes only 3 secs (shows a "Mass Effect 2 movie screen now). I do not know if it is the correct way to handle it but it worked for me and makes some load times much bearable
    could use a faster .bik to replace but the 3secs "mass effect" screen seems enough to load stuff

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  7. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I really really dislike games which locks the game so much during a video that you cannot even press escape. Unfortunately ME2 has tons of these moments.
    And it refuses me to save when I want to, sometimes forcing long replays.

But at least alt-tabbing in and out of the game works much better this time around.

8. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
    thanks for sharing this, updated my 9.12 to 10.1hotfix and AA works great without any exe name changing or other tricks.

9. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    This works beautifully. Thank you :)

10. EarlZ

EarlZ Guest

I've got a question, When I fire up the game and get to the main menu screen ( Resume, New Game , ect ect ) I cannot click on anything until the "Connect to Cerberus" at the lower part shows up, is this normal ? I kinda hate waiting for 10seconds for it.

11. shadow85

shadow85 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 STRIX OC (SLi)
    its normal, and I h8 it too.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Did a search but cant find info whether ME2 is DX10 or not. I gather its not DX11. I'm about to LMAO if someone tells me its DX9.

13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    It is DX9.NO DX10 or DX11

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Most UE3 games have that default engine switch AllowD3D10=True (Or False which is normally the default.) but that doesn't mean that particular game supports that renderer even if the game engine does (DX11 support isn't available yet however, perhaps with the latest 3.x version of it, 3.5 being what Gears of War 2 uses and perhaps some other recent titles.)

The \BioGame\CookedPC folder has the RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM3 and GlobalShaders-PC-D3D-SM3 files but lacks the -SM4 variants so it does not support DX10 (Those are the shader files, SM 3.0 and optionally 4.0, early games also supported 2.0b) I suppose checking the EXE could also work to verify this but it's a bit more cumbersome. :)
    (FRAPS or some other device can also be used as with FRAPS you get a black border around the framerate counter under DX10 and DX11.)

15. Syllogistic

Syllogistic New Member

GPU:
    8800 GTX SLI
    Sorry to keep harping on about this SLI/AA problem, but as I've posted on the nHancer forum, I've found that with the standard profile I get the same slowdowns (particularly evident in the opening cutscence) with SLI and no AA as I do with SLI and AA. The only solution seems to be to set the SLI compatibility flags to those for Mass Effect 1, but then my performance is still no better than with a single GPU. Adding AA then drops about 10-20 fps, whether or not I'm using SLI (which I guess is to be expected). So it just doesn't seem that SLI is working properly for me at all.

I've also done some testing with a wide variety of different drivers (from 186.18 up to the newest betas), and none solve the problem.

Things improve a lot when I turn off dynamic shadows, but that doesn't necessarily mean that SLI is working properly in that case (I can't really tell with the vsync and the fps limits).

I know others have said that they only have problems with AA and SLI together, but I'm wondering whether that's really the case. Maybe because their cards are more powerful, it isn't apparent with AA off that SLI isn't working properly? Maybe it only looks like the problem is with AA + SLI because of the fps drop that the AA causes? I don't know. But if anyone has any suggestions about solving it, I'd be really grateful. I'm tearing my hair out here!

16. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    the console are keeping us in the dx9 era, can't do sh*t about it:)..the games that come multi platform will be dx9 until new xbox and ps3 comes out..

17. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    can someone please upload the default coalescend.ini file
    Forgot tho make a backup and change it with one from this thread and now game lags when cinematics.

18. nomec

nomec Active Member

Dude honestly I've just given up and will hope for a patch or fix of some sort from nvidia or Bioware. I just set the 08020205 compatibility mode because it gives by far the best performance (even with the slowdowns but it isn't as bad with this mode) and am just enjoying the game. I literally spent 5 straight hours fiddling with the settings and I still get the same problems, so I just said screw it.

By the way, those random slowdowns you talk about aren't anything to do with SLI, other people are reporting that as well. SLI works fine in this game, if you load it up with the SLI bar enabled. I think some parts (like during conversation) do that regardless of the setup and settings you are running. That's more of a Bioware issue, which I assume will be patched up.

19. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ^
    im not so deep in the game but i didnt notice any stutter/slowdowns yet..

If its the same odd slowdown as with ME1 then you're looking at texture streaming issue again... grr that got me pissed in 1st but i managed to eliminate almost completely.

20. XLR8

XLR8 Member

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB
    You can get it from disc 1 :

\data\data01.rar
    and then browse to:
    \BioGame\Config\PC\Cooked\

if you dont have the install discs anymore you can download it from :
    http://depositfiles.com/files/hoe5431ya