Nvidia 196.21 WHQL Drivers released

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by t1nsoldier, Jan 19, 2010.

?

How is this driver working for you?

1. Better than previous drivers

79 vote(s)
    35.4%
  2. About the same as previous drivers

74 vote(s)
    33.2%
  3. Worse than previous drivers

70 vote(s)
    31.4%
  1. SuperBill

SuperBill Guest

GPU:
    Dual eVGA GTX 580's - SLI
    Run a benchmark in game you'll get a more accurate result. There could be a bug with GPU-Z. Unless it's properly monitored for you in the past though it's still up in the air given the overclocking issue with these drivers. I'd run a raw benchmark comparison to get a definitive answer.

On an unrelated note, it's possible that Nvidia is in the process of uploading new drivers as the searching function on Nvidia's site is currently borked depending on which card you select. They could be updating... keep your fingers crossed.

2. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i have run varius demos, benchmarks. and ive tested monitoring with msi afterburner/gpuz and theres no HEAT or LOAD on the physx dedicated video card wen running physx enabled apps. MSI AB beta does support newer drivers.

superbill can you confirm, with the tools ive preaviusly used?

using latest gpuz and afterburner 1.5 beta from guru3d

ps: i did use the integrated BATMAN:AA benchamark with max physx enabled.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

If you were reading MSI AB release notes prior to using it, you could see that GPU load monitoring is provided for GT200 and newer GPUs only. The same applies to GPU-Z. Load monitoring for older GPU families is not implemented properly in the ForceWare.

4. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    roger that but, theres no heat.

Common sense tells me: if it where calculation or something there should be heat. ive used hwmonitor too and no increase of heat on the dedicated physx card (8800gt).

ps: in a friendly tone: you should stop with the ''you dont read'' attitude. in any case you should read too :) , ive said gpu load / heat monitoring. with that being said i see all HEAT/LOAD on 275gtx and NO HEAT/LOAD on the 8800gt.

5. SuperBill

SuperBill Guest

GPU:
    What are your PhysX Batman benchmark results with Physx enabled on each card? Can you post?

You won't generate much additional heat if any while the GPU is processing PhysX as it really doesn't require all that much of the GPU's power when that's all the GPU is doing.

6. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    one question if cuda enabled processing is the same as physx calculation?
    if so i can use tmpgenc express (latest version) to heat up the physx dedicated card? it does filter video processing, and that kind of calculation must give a full load on the 8800gt and generate heat. if im correct i mean.

batman@1080 all high 2x aa i get 61 max 49 avg 29 min

btw i get same results without the 8800gt. 2-3fps more or less give or take.

hence my posts and questions here. and yes in the drivers physx tab says its enabled on the 8800gt wen conected, and enabled on the 275gtx wen i take off the 8800gt.

7. Darkje

Darkje Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX 3060Ti
    Will gpu usage and gfxmem monitoring be available in a future release of rivatuner? it's working fine as far as I can see with precision 1.9.1 and these drivers and also tested it okay with 186.91

8. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    hi Darkje, this is not an afterburner thread please keep on topic, i havent manage to verify if the new drivers somehow broke my 275+8800gt combo, i dont want to spend more electricity bill on someting that doesnt work =)

9. SuperBill

SuperBill Guest

GPU:
    I don't know about the Cuda question but Just tested Batman and ran the benchmark twice with each respective card having Physx enabled. With my 275 doing Physx I got 24/61/45 and with the 8800 GTS 29/61/53. This is at 1680x1050, 8x AA, 16x AF, and v-sync enabled. It's definately working with these drivers so I'm not sure what to tell you. Try using the previous driver set as a testbed (assuming you know they worked). If your PhysX still doesn't work I would suggest DriverSweeper (though I'm already assuming you've done that).

10. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    I run a GTS250 for physX and I can definitly tell you its being used.I can see it heat up to 50c in precision.With precision you will see a memory usage and temp rise with physx card,but for some reason you wont see gpu usage.

11. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    cool, whats the idle temp for your dedicated physx card? cuz that 50c sounds like idle temps to me for a gts250 card.

12. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    thanks for the info, yeah its a fresh win7 install with this driver set, i might try some older driver. using sweeper/drivercleaner method.

i wish there where some tool that can verify on wich card its using the physx engine in real time.

one more thing bill, can you check with the same setting but enabeling physx on your 275? just to verify, of course if you got the time, haha this makes me wonder about all the nvidia ''dedicated'' physx marketing thing.

13. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    It Idles at 38c.That why I know its doing something because in batman I have seen it hit 50c.

14. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    ahh ok great.. hum then somthing must be wrong with my rig. my 8800gt wont climb from 60c idle and or using batmans benchmark with physx, folding (cuda) etc.

15. SuperBill

SuperBill Guest

GPU:
    I posted the results there for both cards. With the 8800 GTS doing PhysX the game ran faster. The benchmark results don't really do it justice though (probably because I always use v-sync), in game it's very noticably faster.

Another possible fix, though you shouldn't have to do this these days, try connecting another monitor cable from your PhysX GPU into the monitor if your monitor has a spare input (you can use D-Sub/VGA). I had to do that back when Windows 7 first came out and Nvidia's drivers were less mature. Alternatively, if you already DO have a cable, try disconnecting it, rebooting, then check the result.

16. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    You can see here.GPU1 is my physx card and GPU2 is my GTX260.Thats just the way my computer set them up.

[​IMG]

17. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    If your 8800GT is 60c idle then theres one big problem right there.

18. SuperBill

SuperBill Guest

GPU:
    My 8800 GTS idles at 55° C.... never had a problem with it even when it was my primary card. This series doesn't have multiple power modes, it's clocked the same all the time.

19. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    That still seems kind of high.My GTX260 doesnt get much more than 60c most of the time while gaming.

20. aduh

aduh Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    196.21 WHQL - drivers don't recognize connected LCD TV to the GTX260 (second slot) - detection failed
    195.81 BETA - detection OK
    195.62 WHQL - drivers don't recognize connected LCD TV to the GTX260 (second slot) - detection failed

WTF ?