Nvidia 196.21 WHQL Drivers released

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by t1nsoldier, Jan 19, 2010.

?

How is this driver working for you?

1. Better than previous drivers

79 vote(s)
    35.4%
  2. About the same as previous drivers

74 vote(s)
    33.2%
  3. Worse than previous drivers

70 vote(s)
    31.4%
  1. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    I'm late to the party but downloading now.

2. AmigaWolf

AmigaWolf Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    I cant understand you people, why not just flash your Firmware of your
    Geforce Card with a Firmware you have set to the clocks of your OC in
    RivaTuner?

Thats what i have don 18 mounds ago, it works much better then all dose
    OC programs, and you never loose your OC or have problems the program
    won't work.

I use nvFlash to copy my Firmware on a USB stick in DOS, or you can try
    GPU-Z, or you can download your Firmware and nvFlash and NiBiTor from
    http://www.mvktech.net/ and use NiBiTor to set higer clocks and
    then flash your Geforce Card with nvFlash.

It's that easy.

3. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    you people should read the entire post. cause same questions and comments are popping out on everypage. but some pages back someone posted the link to afterburner beta wich is working to overclock with this drivers. and amigawolf its been said not to recommend flashing bioses, since then people without the experience can damage their cards.

4. MrXGamer

MrXGamer Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Ok, this is weird. Even with the new Precision 1.9.1, my shader clocks are still not adjustable.

Besides that, I think it's the first 19x.xx driver that I might keep. Goodbye to my best friend, 186.91. :)

5. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Afterburner beta works for the second time

6. bloowhalez

bloowhalez Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270
    Green man!

7. Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel Guest

GPU:
    TITAN Xp
    i did numerous times .. the only thing i didnt do was use driversweeper.. but i never usually need to use that..i might try again later.. thx for the headsup :thumbup:
    190.62 is doing a good job atm..

8. Markushka141

Markushka141 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX470
    well, i am taking my words back about this driver :) the overclock, such as core shader and memory and fan control works now in Msi Afterburner beta 5, so download it and be happy! :) gta IV is working even smoother now for me!

9. ridesy

ridesy Active Member

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 285
    Sorry but NVIDIA's inability to resolve issues with SLI for MW2 is pretty awful.

These drivers like every one of the 19*.** series cause my Quad SLI rig to freeze, blackscreen and crash in MW2 when map changes or game exits.

With older 186.18 drivers that clearly do not support SLI in MW2 I can play for hours no issues, but why invest hundreds of pounds in Quad SLI if the latest game cannot be played using it!?

COD4 seems fine, but MW2 is just a no go and I don't get why they cannot fix this, as I will just be left back on 186.18 drivers until in get bored of darn IWNET on MW2, as I cannot load any newer drivers without this problem coming up!

Ridesy

PS: Same occurs on a mate rig with 2 x GTX285's to, so it is not even restricted to Quad SLI, but seems to affect GTX's in SLI full stop.

10. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Does R/T's Database need rebuilding if i install these drivers.?

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @Fyew-jit-tiv - I usually find that RivaTuner has to rebuild the database for every new graphics driver I install so I don't see why 196.21 would be any different.

12. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Thx.

13. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    EVGA Precision 1.9.1 works flawlessly. Shader clock came back again and I can overclock with no issues. :)

14. ElderTech

ElderTech Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX275
    TY for the info omw.. i may not OC this card atm but that does'nt mean i don't want everything functioning correctly. So far Dragon Age origins, Borderlands and FO3 are all running fine.

15. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070

Usually when they say a game supports sli it means it supports 2 gpus not 4.I dont even think theres a game out there that supports 4.Ive seen threads about guys with tri sli rigs and they showed evidence of the 3rd card barely even being used while gaming.So I doubt youll ever get the 4th gpu doing anything.Quad sli is for benchmarking ,not gaming.If you want a good gaming rig you go out and one GTX285.I doubt theres a game out there that needs more than that.I play MW2 at a perfectly smooth 70-80 fps,so how much more than you need than that?I havent found a game that has brought my 260 to its knees yet.And I doubt there will be one in 2010.:)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010

16. ElderTech

ElderTech Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX275
    Update: I'm done beating this horse for the 3rd set of drivers now.
    Upon closer inspection ( and some sleep) I realized my temps are gone in Precision and Real temp with these drivers. I ran my normal efforts to no avail. ( reinstalled etc etc etc..)
    I cleaned out the 196.21 drivers and reinstalled the 190.62 and everything is back to normal, fans.. temps etc. I just don't want to put this much effort into it anymore so I'm leaving well enough alone.
    ( this single GTX275 runs everything I have thrown at quite well also Hog :) )
    I may be heading down the ATI road next though.. I'm growing tired of Nvidia's drivers and if i upgrade its going to be DX11 ofcoarse.
    Its not like its been a set with issue's and they corrected it.. its been multiple sets and bunch of avoiding responsibility for it from what my experience has been.
    I'm not a fanboy i buy what works.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  17. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Was looking on the official nVidia forums and I saw post from nVidia saying that they're aware of the oc issue and an updated driver would be available very soon.

18. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Which issue? Overclocking is working fine with the last version of EVGA Precision, as well as temperature recognition.

19. SuperBill

SuperBill Guest

GPU:
    Dual eVGA GTX 580's - SLI
    The grass is not greener on the other side, it's just as grey. Stick with what you like and a driver you like (I used ATI for a long time and I'll be hard pressed to switch back).

20. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    MW2 sli profile is set for 4-way AFR by NVIDIA , so it should render at Quad sli.
    I'm running sli and it's smooth. You can check this with nHancer , how the rendering is done and what the default setting is in the NVIDIA driver for that game. You can even change this setting with nHancer. I use it to optimize my NVIDIA driver.