Unable to load low level driver on win7x64

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Public Beta Section' started by Johnjk, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Johnjk

Johnjk Member

GPU:
    Visiontek HD3870 512MB
    Unable to load low level driver on win7x64 - SOLVED!!!

I know this has been discussed ad naseum in other thread regarding vista x64, but I was hoping for some guidance on using ATT on win7x64. I have been able to install and run ATT, but on reboot it says I do not have low level driver installed. If I then click to run the program it also says that I do not have low level driver installed. If however I say run ATT as admin, it starts flawlessly and works.

I have tried to set the program itself to run as admin, but that will not work with att initial "start with windows", likely due to needed confirmation. Please advise. I know much about computer, but am not a programmer so keep that in mind.

Also it might be nice to sticky this or put it into a support faq. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  2. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    So do it again :)
    I have no problems at all with ATT on my W7 x64. I just have UAC disabled

3. Johnjk

Johnjk Member

GPU:
    Visiontek HD3870 512MB
    Disabling UAC is a crap solution. It took me some time, but I have a SUPER, EASY and legit fix.

1. Re-install ATT with "run at windows start" unchecked.
    2. Go to Start, type "Task Scheduler".
    3. Create a folder called "ATT"
    4. Create a new task
    5. Under descpription, call it "ATI Tray Tools" or whatever, give a description, check "run with highest priviledges"
    6. Under Triggers, click "New", then select "At logon", I added a 30sec delay, but that may not be necessary
    7. Under Actions, click "New", then select "Start a program" and browse to your ATT install directory and select "atitray.exe".
    8. On conditions tab, turn everything off.
    9. On Settings tab, turn everything off, except "allow task to be run on demand" and change "If the task is already running, then the following rule applies:" to "Stop the existing instance".

Some of the changes above may not be important, but since it works flawlessly for me, I figured I would be thorough!!! Hope that helps others not willing to disable UAC for 1 program.

4. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    I have problem with att and 5870 on win7x64. Win 7 x64 crashed after att install and reboot, need to uninstall it in safemode.

5. Johnjk

Johnjk Member

GPU:
    Visiontek HD3870 512MB
    Not really the appropriate thread; your probably is only peripherally related to the title.

I think there os currently no compatability of 5xxx series with ATT.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  6. Eagle3386

Eagle3386 Guest

GPU:
    »Gainward Radeon 4870 GS
    Guys, what's the problem all about?

I mean, AFAIR, you all collect money for Ray to buy one or two 4850 - why are you then unable to collect just 500 USD, let Ray create a 1-man-company (don't know how this is called correctly) and afterwards just get that low-level driver signed?

Come on, even the (now dead) PeerGuardian managed to get its driver signed (OK, it's the fork-project called PeerBlock, who did it - but that's not the point!) and you guys just sit here and complain about it or post threads/replies with such content..

Stop moaning, set up a fund for those 500 bucks and if just 100 geeks then scramble up some 5 bucks each, we/you would have the driver signed!

Sorry, if my post is "harming" you, but all that moaning I read while browsing several threads was _way_ too much for my eyes and mind..

And _yes_, I would spend 5 bucks!

And _no_, that payment does _not_ have to be renewed each year, at least not from what I read over at the PeerBlock developer's blog..

7. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    S-HD 5770 1GB 1000 / 1400
    Is this not a case of "Driver Signature Enforcement" kicking in?

F8 @ Boot and Disable it, then install the ATT driver ?

BTW, mine would not install either, although I only wanted it for FPS checker

8. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Guyz don't look on Windows error window about driver. Just start ATT after installation. ATT already has loader included. Should be no problems.

9. Cheerpipe

Cheerpipe Guest

GPU:
    2X HD48702 1GB CF
    try my new loader, now uac compatible

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=310737

PD: Driver Signature Enforcement Suck becase it enable test mode (wich enable some windows debug funtions, and becasuse open your system to all rootkit and malware drivers in the world xD, the ATT loader only load att driver, nothing more, nothing less).

10. lowdog

lowdog Guest

GPU:
    2 x 6990 quad cfx

Doesn't matter how you install it, ATT won't run on Win 7 64bit because the driver isn't digitally signed and it won't load. The included loader does jack, ie it doesn't work.

Just get a digitally signed driver once and for all and be done with all this $hit please. :nerd:

11. Cheerpipe

Cheerpipe Guest

GPU:
    2X HD48702 1GB CF
    i have ATT running in Windows 7 x64 with UAC enabled without problems since long long time ago. Just search the forums.

12. lowdog

lowdog Guest

GPU:
    2 x 6990 quad cfx
    I understand all that but to be honest icbf jumping through all the hoops needed to get the program working.

imo if your going to release a program then at the least release it in a working state with signed drivers from the start, it just saves half of the threads regarding "program not working blah blah" because of the simple fix of releasing it with digitally signed drivers from the get go. Pretty simple eh!

13. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Forget it. I never will spend 500$ each year just to buy stupid signature for my driver. ATT works in 64 bit OSes without any problems

14. lowdog

lowdog Guest

GPU:
    2 x 6990 quad cfx

I can understand not wanting to pay the $500 per year to have a driver digitally signed but, the statement about working without any problems in 64bit OSes is nothing short of :puke2:

15. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Why? :) Just turn of UAC and everything g is OK

16. nebukathneza

nebukathneza New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Toxic 1GB
    Is not.
    i sit the 4th day on my problem with the signed driver. when i start in test mode the driver is loaded. but i can't get any game started.
    all game .exe got an error when started.
    and when i start windows in normal mode the driver doesn't work and the games too.

sorry for my bad english

greetz nebu

17. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Update directx runtime. Turn off UAC, do not use test mode and don;'t tell me this is not work! Because its work on all my computers with W7 x64

18. nebukathneza

nebukathneza New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Toxic 1GB
    Good tip with the DirectX runtime. Now the games work, thanks Ray!

I think ATT works normal, but when i start windows 7 in normal mode the low level driver installation say thats installed but not started, is this an error?

Greetz nebu

19. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Ignore it.

20. TJKJ

TJKJ New Member

GPU:
    MSI 4870 1GB
    Hello All!

Unfartunately I have an absolutely same problem ...

I tried lot of builds, methods, tips and tricks, but anyway, the verdict is the same ... The Desktop is freezing, and I need to uninstall the ATT.

I love ATT, and I used it on my old for a long time (Ati 9800 XT xD ).

After I went to nVidia, I loved nHancer, after when I bought the new machine with Ati card, I suprised, than I was unable to use ATT under win7 64 bit.

I tried almost everything, I spend 2 days to reinstall the Win, and all services what I use and check why ATT is freezing at every startup, but I didn't found anything.

I tried minimum 5 different ATT builds with 5 different Ati driver, digitally signed sys files, test mode, compatibilities on and off, making a task, etc ...

But nothing ...

Any idea?