Do you SLI or not?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by flimbo, Jan 20, 2010.

?

Do you SLI or not?

1. Yes

115 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No

89 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    i can :)

2. BeoWulf_

BeoWulf_ Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1
    20-45 ain't running Crysis... it's Lagging crysis..

anything below 60 is "bad" or "unacceptable" for me when it comes to First Person Shooters..

And i do average out at 88.xx fps when on high with no AA.. still a good looking game, but i would never play it at 20-45 fps.. (1920x1200, 0af,0aa all High)

Agreed, at times i also do drop below 60 fps.. but it's okay, since it's only when to heaviest action is going on..

I must support the others that doubt your fps clames on crysis using a AMD 64 x2 5400 and a 9800GTX+..

if u wanted to prove us wrong, and your self right, you would have posted a bench picture, where you average somewhere between 20-45..

Back on tropic..

Yes i use SLI, and have been doing so since the 88xx series.. i really enjoy it, and other than the heat/noice, i cant see the downside in running an SLI rig..

Beo Out..

3. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    "i cant see the downside in running an SLI rig.."

Apart from the cost...

4. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    Same here.

5. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    Yes. Until recently its been a complete nightmare but with the 195.62 drivers i haven't had a single problem. Can play all my games in 1920x1200 with 4+x AA... 60fps + Vsync all the way (Except for shooters online... No Vsync)

6. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Nope. I don't have a need or see a use for SLI to be honest. I game in 1680x1050 resolution and so there is no need for SLI in this resolution. My single 9600GT handles this res just fine. Also SLI forces the need for higher rated PSU's drawing more and costing more per month to run. Pass....

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'll echo that comment.

I've always been a big believer in buying the most powerful single GPU graphics card because they're better value for money and are less hassle in terms of drivers and stability.

Even if I could afford to run two or three graphics cards I'm still not sure I'd bother. SLI/Crossfire seem dependent on driver updates to support the latest games and then performance can be very hit and miss. If you got 100% extra performance with each new card then SLI/Crossfire would be worthwhile but you don't. Typically you get 50-80% tops with a second card and that falls further if you add a third.

I don't think all that the extra cost in electricity and the extra heat they put into your case makes them very good value IMO. I can't stand screen tearing so framerates in my games are limited by the refresh rate of my 24" LCD 1920x1200 display which is 60 fps. Since all but three of my games run at 40-60 fps typically - the three being the awful ArmA II and the demanding Crysis/Crysis Warhead - then I have absolutely no need for a second card anyway as the GTX 280, to be frank, is still a beast. I play all my games on maximum settings with triple buffering, AF and AA in-game or forced (if supported by the game), even Crysis/Crysis Warhead, and it's only ArmA II, a game I don't rate anyway, that I can't max. out.

Basically SLI/Crossfire would be a huge waste of money for me unless I moved up to a larger 30" monitor.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I should add that while SLI would be a waste of time and cash for me, slotting in a second cheap (under £80) NVIDIA card purely for PhysX would probably be a better option for me at the moment as I have a reasonable number of PhysX supported games such as Mirror's Edge, Crysis and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Even then with hardware PhysX support in games being so few, it's debatable whether that would even be cost effective in the long-term really.

9. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    260 is enough for me, not going sli anytime now..

10. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    SLI / CROSSFIRE! They are both lots of fun!! first time was with an 8800 gtx. :hatty:

11. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    If my motherboard had 2 pciex16 slots, and i had another 9800gt green edition(which has sli support ) i run it SLI yes, with a 300 Watts PSU LOL

12. BoudahXL

BoudahXL Member

GPU:
    GTX295 BFG
    Yes, ever since the Voodoo 2 days. I'm fond of new technologies.

13. FordLynx07

FordLynx07 Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 DOC
    One powerfull card is good to go for me. SLi setups experiences more driver bugs than single. SLi setups costs a lot too. One powerfull card is better than two low/mid end cards. As far as I know, SLi setup doesnt give 200% performance rather only 150% to 175% only. SLi setups needs high-end/high-amp power supplies. SLi setups needs more attention and tweaking rather than single.

If money isn't a problem and you love tweaking, SLi setup is an easy feat.

14. faust1200

faust1200 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC
    I'd rather spend money on the fastest CPU I can afford and the fastest single GPU card. It's plenty of power for me (and less headaches).

15. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I did when I had Two 8800GT SLI then sold them off for a GTX260, I had plans to SLI GTX260 but now I not sure what I gonna do later on this year.

There should be a option for maybe/dontknow/sometimes.

16. Antarius

Antarius Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 280 SLI x 2
    I bought second card a few monthes later after first one. I am glad I did. No problems with SLI. Correct setup = no problems in my opinion.

17. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    exactly! ive had a couple SLI setups now and had next to no issues :) i would do it again no prob ...

18. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    yes :) its awesome how much it is a common sight these days, would not have expected it years ago.

19. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    i remember years ago when you could run dual voodoo cards, but back then i had no clue ;)

20. Jenova_link

Jenova_link Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    8800gtx OC SLi Love it no problem so far. watiing on 3xxGTX, the 2nd verion that is never get the first verion again.....