Nvidia 196.21 WHQL Drivers released

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by t1nsoldier, Jan 19, 2010.

?

How is this driver working for you?

1. Better than previous drivers

79 vote(s)
    35.4%
  2. About the same as previous drivers

74 vote(s)
    33.2%
  3. Worse than previous drivers

70 vote(s)
    31.4%
  1. Romiz

Romiz Guest

Also getting a higher benchmark and batman runs even smoother now.

2. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    hey forum is intended to help and chitchat so if you think those people posting sli problems are noobs then go help them out instead of critisising them. u too where a noob once.

3. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Oh... should I peak my head into this thread or not? Apart from the aforementioned OC'ing problem, I quite like this driver release. I can't say if it's faster or slower (due to the OC'ing glitch) but I did a Vantage run @stock and it seemed produce a similar or even slightly better score than the 195.62 or 186.18 releases. At the same time, subjectively it appeared to have better image quality than earlier releases.

There's no use bitchin' about SLI users, Guru3D has many members running SLi and calling someone a n00b because he/she has the audacity to ask for help is simply ignorant and laughable. (Besides, why does Hilbert bother with SLi benchmarks if the majority of users don't want/need or run it?) Granted, a SLi solution is inherently going to be more complex and thus open to more pitfalls than a single GPU configuration - deal with the subsequent questions that may arise (thought of ignoring 'em?). Okay, maybe I'd entertain a SLi sub-forum but as others have stated, SLi users are playing with the same drivers as you elitist single GPU folk and have just as much right to comment in these threads as you. I'm all for sava700's idea of a thumbs-up/down flag as well (maybe it would save you the pain of reading a SLi user's comments). For heavens sake, nVidia doesn't split the release notes in two based on single GPU & multiple GPU... just at a sub-heading level :) For that matter, you'd better complain about anyone who have their CPU overclocked (or possibly run dual CPU's or use exotic cooling methods) as they probably fall outside your "norm user" profile as well. Guru3D is made up of members from all demographics, not just those who buy their machines from Dell or HP.

This thread is the whoever decides to try the driver and provide feedback. It also serves as an area where possible workarounds are found and the wheel doesn't need to be re-invented. Get over it and skip over the post you're not interested in. (Remember, you are spamming this thread with worthless information that is just a whine and doesn't help anyone in the long run.) I use SLi and welcome comments regarding how it performs under such conditions as well as feedback from those running with a single GPU solution.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  4. BigMyke

BigMyke Member

GPU:
    EVGA 580 SC SLI
    Sound looped and driver recovery crash after alt-tab while I gamed during l4d2. I rolled back to 188.25 and haven't any problems since.

285 GTX SSC in SLI

5. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    These are quite a bit better than the latest 19x's I've tried, but I still find 188.25 to be far superior when it comes to performance and overall image quality?

Downside with 188.25 of course is the lack of game profiles, and my colour settings wont seem to get saved for some reason?

So I'm back to 188.22, which is almost on pair with 188.25 when it comes to performance, and I've simply copied the game profiles and SLI profiles from these drivers and it's shaping out very well!

I don't know what's up with all these newer 19x drivers, but no one seems to really cut it for my GTX285 SLI setup?

What's even more crap is when I want to go Nvidia Surround Gaming with GF100 / Fermi I actually NEED to be running SLI in order to get three outputs, I would love to get rid of this SLI driver hell for ones, and I guess 1x GF100 / Fermi would give me more than enough performance along with it, but then I lack my third output..

It's almost tempting to go for the ATI HD5870 these days!

6. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    ANyone tried the Gothic 2 in Win7 with these?

I know, very hopeful of me to expect Nvidia to fix a game that old!!

7. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    I am not sure about that but I think that Nvidia breaks the control clock deliberately.

That do you think?

8. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    I think all they do is just make sure it doesn't crash Windows on install, update, uninstall, etc. is all. No functionality checking at all other than booting up and shutting down. lol

9. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

No. That's just a trivial and easily fixable bug in the driver's overclocking interface.
    I've already created internal version of EVGA Precision/MSI Afterburner which overclocks fine by detecting this driver version and forcibly relying on bugged clock domain IDs used in this version. So it definitivwly doesn't sound like overclocking broken by NV on purpose. However, I'm not sure if it is worth releasing it, because NVIDIA will surely fix the driver soon and updated overclocking tools relying on bugged overclocking interface will stop working in this case.

10. Bhairava

Bhairava Guest

GPU:
    2x 5850
    Are Afterburner and Precision's fan settings working with these drivers?

11. sunkid

sunkid Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1070 Ti
    Fan settings are working fine with RivaTuner and Precision (EVGA) for me.

12. Bhairava

Bhairava Guest

GPU:
    2x 5850
    Thank you.

13. H-Ackermans

H-Ackermans Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX550Ti
    The clock domains ARE bugged or has nVidia changed their working/layout?

In the latter case it would be a permanent change in the driver.

14. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    Ridiculous.People read page 1 and you see that Sahder OC is not working.Some discover it on page 7...

Anyway this driver(as far as im concerned) is awful

I cant even install it because it simply refuses to install.Also the damn bug is still present.When PhysX and 3DVision installers are in install folder it takes 10 minutes to install...and still fails :bonk:.Fails even when PhysX and 3DVision packets are removed from install folder.I that case it thinks a few seconds and says "system has not been modified".Worst - Driver - EVER

Anyway i took 195.81 BETA and works like a charm.

15. bloowhalez

bloowhalez Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270
    well the drivers may not be installing fine because you didnt tell us if you even installed them correctly. did u uninstall all nvidia stuff, then reboot into safe, run driver sweeper, reboot, then install?

until you show you know how to install correctly, we cant help you with installation issues.

16. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Domain IDs ARE changed in clock reading path and ARE NOT CHANGED in clock writing path. So it doesn't sound like changed layout or permanent change for me. Either clock reading or clock writing path in the driver is currently bugged and uses wrong IDs. From my POV, they will return old IDs support to maintain compatibility with existing software including their own NVIDIA System Tool which is also currently broken due to this changes.

17. SoLoR

SoLoR Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti
    I'm always amazed wheh this sorts of bug goes in to WHQL version. I mean if i would be developer developing driver, first thing i would make sure is to work properly with other "OUR" software. And if they would only do that, this shouldnt ever get in to public drivers. Its like one team is creating drivers, other team is creating System Tool and they dont talk to each other or even know about eachother existance, even if its same company... And this is also not only nvidia, i saw many random issues with random companys similar to this over the years. Like i can claim with almost 100% certantly none of 100k MS employes is using autohide taskbar function and monitor sleep in Win7, because if they would they would notice pretty nasty bug that drags from mid beta. For punishment i would make everyone use this for a week and then see if they go crazy :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  18. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    Ofcourse i installed correctly.I always do it like this:

Uninstall with nvidia uninstaller
    Reboot
    Enter Safe mode and clean with Driver Sweeper
    Reboot
    Install new drivers in normal mode
    Reboot

And no thanks for the help.I will pass these drivers alltogether and wait for the next ones

19. bloowhalez

bloowhalez Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270
    thats really weird for proper install of WHQL to run so messed up as youve experienced. i can see you know what you are talking about.

ive had the same problems as you before, but since ive reinstalled windows 7 ive had no problems.

20. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    digital vibrance was set to 90% instead of 50% when i installed these
    not a clean install tho