impulse buys when bored

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Ji1986, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Hi all

Well the past few days i have been really bored at work, so i do my usual read up of any new articles on pc and catch up on whats happening in the world. Then move onto the guru forums.

After that i always go check out the price of some hardware that i might have use for. and almost always i ended up spending $100 here and there for little bits and pieces to imporve my pc. e.g. and new cpu cooler or soundcard and come fan filter, just to name a few things.

what have you guys bought out of pure boredem or impulse.

2. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Way too much! I do my research on what I'm going to buy but once I get the idea in my head it's going to happen. The worse thing I bought was on late at night(I have trouble sleeping) was a Tobi cloths steamer, cost WAY too much & was the first & last infomercial buy I'm going to make. The best, but most expensive thing I bought was a new 40" LCD HDTV. I can add my current PC to that list as well, i'm much too impulsive.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  3. Kenny9999

Kenny9999 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 5970 weeee
    OMG

power color 5970
    liquid cooling for cpu and new card, and that, in the last month!

sensor parts and micro-controller... for a flying robot I'm trying to do and 3 RC Helicopter... and so on... Always on impulse!!!

4. soddit112

soddit112 Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX560 Ti
    usually just things like CDs/DVDs off amazon, a few cheap games to whittle away the hours. i always spend a lot of time before deciding on which computer components to buy :)

5. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Yeah I've spent a lot on impulse buys, quite a few of my games were too, music, DVDs, I bet it'd total up to a good few hundred or so, I'm stopping it now tho as I want to upgrade my PC :)

6. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I've gotten a lot of hardware this way. :D

7. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    I rarely buy hardware unless I need it, for example, I haven't bought a GPU since early summer (GTX 260) but I need a bigger system backup. I have 500GB system drive and 200GB backup drive.

8. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Im real good with my money so I never buy things on implusle. I stay away from the mall, because I do sometimes end up buying a shirt or something because its on sale or clearence haha
    I research too much on PC parts to get the best bang per buck.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  9. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I've bought a lot...I don't buy games on impulse, because unless a game is really good, it's never going to get played again, so the price of a game isn't an issue for me, although cheaper is always better of course, but only for the ones I really want.

I have been trying to save for a gf100 card, but recently bought a 23.6" monitor= $235, a new computer chair= $150, a new PSU = $250, a new case = $87....basically all the non essential things for my PC that haven't increased performance at all :S, but it sure looks good...

10. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Yup, and that experience I'm sure is priceless, so it makes up for all the money spent doesn't it really ;) :banana:

11. |WOY|Shotty1993

|WOY|Shotty1993 Banned

GPU:
    POV GTX 470
    IM planning on buying Logitech Z-5500, any1 got them here? Worth it?

12. .:JeeBus:.

.:JeeBus:. Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond Raedon HD 6850
    left 4 dead 2.

13. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    All I do is buy stuff everyday, it's bad.

14. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I absolutely love my Z-5500 set. I got all my PS3, TV & PC connected in 5.1 with it. I also bought it at a very cheap special price so I like it even more. :)

15. |WOY|Shotty1993

|WOY|Shotty1993 Banned

GPU:
    POV GTX 470
    The price tag of £260 shipped makes me a bit sick, where did you get the "deal"?

16. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It seems I inadvertently purchased the entire Steam library over the holidays.

:3eyes:

17. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Antec 902, very good purchase too!

18. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    Does buying a Logitech G27 wheel/pedal set that costs $300 count as impulse buy when I checked Best Buy's website to see if my local store has it in stock before going to the store? I went into the store and grabbed the big box! I was not sure about buying the wheel/pedal set because I thought that I can't drive a car with manual transmission and clutch.

19. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I got mine in 2006 or so when they "only" cost £155 haha!

Not exactly an expensive impulse buy but i just baught 3 Zalman ZM-F3 fans and a cold cathode set for my HAF 932

20. Enizax

Enizax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 TUF OC
    i make myself believe I don't have any money, so i don't feel too tempted to buy anything XD but now my gaming mouse is bust (VERY weird, makes my windows react strangely, can't click on the taskbar, or move/close windows, VERY weird!) so now i'm on an old PS/2 mouse for the time being until i get a new Deathadder or wtv