Is there a bug with AB and Crossfire systems base on RV810?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by jvmagni, Jan 14, 2010.

1. jvmagni

jvmagni Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC
    These days I bought my first ATI card, a XFX 5970 BE. In a clean install I installed Catalyst 9.12 HOTFIX and Afterburner 1.4xx release. My system starts to freeze and lock up the entire system in all games and 3D applications even without OC the card.

I've tried other drivers, new VGA BIOS, new MB bios and nothing.

After a new Win 7 installation and WITHOUT Afterburner everything seems normal.

I was thinking that this maybe related to AB and some Catalyst bug in crossfire systems. Anyone can give me a light abou this?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. Garrett_Wu

Garrett_Wu Member Guru

3. jvmagni

jvmagni Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC
    But now I'm running the 9.12 HOTFIX whithout ANY probem. I've run 18 LOOPS of Crysis Warhead Bench, 8 LOOPS of Far Cry 2 bench, 2 LOOPS of Unigine Heaven Bench, 1 LOOP of Dirt 2 DX 11 Bench and played Modern Warfare 2 MP for hours and no problem at all. In Vantage I'm gettin P22820 marks with stock CPU clock. With over it goes over P28200 marks.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Then stay without ANY overclocking and just DON'T user Afterburner. Once AMD fix their overclocking API for Crossfire ULPS everything will be fine and tools like Afterburner and ATT fill become functional again.

5. jvmagni

jvmagni Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC
    Damn, I really would like to use AB. Well, I'm not sure is a AB and 9.12 bug but I really don't want to spend another night trying to figure out the problem.

AMD said something about this fix?

6. Unwinder

Dead hope.
    AMD never say anything about a fix, even if you point them the line in the code where the problem is located and show what have to be changed there.

7. jvmagni

jvmagni Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC
    So I think I will never have another program that show me the informations that I need OSD? Oh damn!

8. Unwinder

Why do you mix ULPS related overclocking issues with OSD? Where is the logic?

9. Garrett_Wu

Garrett_Wu Member Guru

@jvmagni: If you didn't see amazing performance boost in 9.12 and really want to use AB to overclocke and see information in OSD, I strongly recommand to roll back to older driver. You won't lose much and gain more (Afterburner)!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  10. jvmagni

jvmagni Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC
    What I said is that I can't use AB because of this AMD bug. I use it mostly to check the infos in the OSD. I didn't overclocked the card.

11. Unwinder

The bug affects applying new clocks ONLY. Ensure that you don't have "Apply overclocking at windows startup" ticked.
    If that's not the case, it cannot be related to that problem.

12. jvmagni

jvmagni Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC
    Ok Unwinder, thanks for the tips. I will try to find exactly wath is the problem and I will post a feedback to you here.

13. soviet87

soviet87 Active Member

GPU:
    5850+5850+5970+GTX470
    @jvmagni i was having similar issues with this, the fix that worked for me is that i disabled ULPS in the registry all together, sure i lose powersaving features and your cards run at their defauly speeds all day, but i have stability now thanks to that.

14. jvmagni

jvmagni Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC
    How do I do that?

15. soviet87

soviet87 Active Member

GPU:
    5850+5850+5970+GTX470

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0003\EnableUlps

set 1 to enable ULPS
    set 0 to disable ULPS

there is actually going a few more control sets that you will have to disable them in, this was actual from another example, but yours should read 000,001,002, etc, just do the first 2 and disable ulps

16. magoo25

magoo25 Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5870s in CrossfireX
    So...........if I disable the registry items.........I CAN use AB to overclock and run fan speeds in Crossfire WITHOUT my system crashing........with 9.12 or the "hotfix" ?????

Since 9.12 if I enable AB in my Crossfire I get immediate blue screen......which stinks altogether.

17. soviet87

soviet87 Active Member

GPU:
    5850+5850+5970+GTX470

It worked for me, and i am assuming since he hasn't replied back it may of worked, or may not, but i would put money on it working. Disable it in the registry.

18. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Fan control seems to cause it as well. Not just via afterburner but via manual fan control in CCC.

The only time my card is stable with 9.12+ drivers is if everything is left at the defaults in CCC and afterburner isn't used at all.

19. Unwinder

Then it is really good news. If the issue affects their own CCC too - there are good chances to see the fix from AMD side.