Best Stable Driver ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Chabs, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Chabs

Chabs Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9500GT 512mo
    Hi people! I'm new here so don't be rough =B

Here is my problem. With lots of games (ex : Assassin's Creed, Just Cause, Rainbow Six Vegas, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, CnC Red Alert ...etc) I get sever Sound Loop and texture issues. Some times it just keeps occuring, some other time (in games like Assassin's Creed and L4D for exemple) a reboot is often necesary, with a "Report Windows error" message at start-up. I even get the message "nv4_disp.dll isn't working properly" or something like that.

Fact is that with games even more "Ressource-Hungry" I don't get any problems, like TF2, The Saboteur, Red Faction Guerrilla, Borderlands, Dragon Age Origins, Far Cry 2, Mass Effect etc etc... Even with the settings maxed and the highest resolution!!! (1080p)

My only theory is that those recent Nvidia Driver are the cause of my torment.

Actualy I'm using the latest driver from Nvidia. So I decided to come here and beg for mercy!
    "What is the best stable driver from Nvidia ?!?"
    (or the best solution for my problem)

My specs are the following :
    -CPU : Intel Dual Core E6300 2.80Ghz
    -GPU : Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 512Mo
    -Memory : 2Go Kingston
    -Resolution : 1280x1024 or 1080p

Thank you for reading!!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    Have you tried 188.25? or 195.81 beta? Did you do a clean install with driversweeper in safe mode?

3. Chabs

Chabs Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9500GT 512mo
    Mmmh well I've never been the "testing" type due to "lack of time".

Any thoughts on who's best ? I read good things about 188.25 in that forum, but I prefer confirmations.

For the install, I installed one of the 195.xX serie as I bought new components for my computers in september and bought a new HDD. So I guess we can't make any cleaner! ;)

EDIT : And could the driver be responsible of my issues ?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  4. Wanny

Wanny Guest

All drivers are stable. I never ever got a bad driver really... I just use last WHQL and it's always working fine.

5. Chabs

Chabs Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9500GT 512mo
    So that means you're running on the latest.

But it can't just get in my head! Recent games work perfectly, and older games (well lets just say a year or so), SOME, are triggering these sound loops and texture stretching.

Plus I read many times people complaining about drivers.

Let's just say you're lucky :)

6. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I know many complains and I just can't see why. Like I said sometime before, I sense some "placebo" effect from drivers but don't listen to me because it's always irritating some people when I say that and a flame wars is usually happening after that. ;)

And for SLI people, it's important to get the latest profiles and support.

7. Chabs

Chabs Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9500GT 512mo
    Don't worry about my answer ;) I'm almost just like you and I tend to... irritate people.
    Internet is an open space and one thing for sure, I'm not here to judge people.

Anyways I think I'll try the 188.25, but not right now! (Lazyness :D )

Will keep you in touch!

8. NightCrawler™

NightCrawler™ Member Guru

GPU:
    2 EVGA GTX460 1 8800GTSSC
    The only driver that hasn't given me any grief is the 191.07..
    I thought the 188.25's were the better ones but they suffer from a massive alt-tab delay and Dragon Age seems to run slower when playing it for a few hours in a row..

9. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Each driver will respond differently on different systems. What may work for one may not the rest and vice versa. The best way to find out is to try different ones yourself. That basically how we all choose the ones we use. :)

10. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    same with this card or my 9800gtx+

i had a 8800gtx tough that was unstable with some drivers then went worse and worse figured out the card was faulty.

11. Chabs

Chabs Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9500GT 512mo
    For that problem with DAO I guess everyone without a "god-like" cpu has it.
    I have the same with the latest driver, but... fact is you have to be a complete hard-core gamer to experience it... Like... 6 hours in a row.

:D

Gah Omagad... Let's just hope it's not from the GPU. She might be overheating but that doesn't explain why other games don't get f***ed-up.

I remember I had the same problem with L4D with my old 6600GT. Sound loops + textures going loose.

12. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    true..

13. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    Faulty ram was cause on my gfx actualy it just barely or never artifacted tough wich was strange.

14. Chabs

Chabs Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9500GT 512mo
    Nah! These bars are brand new :D

Jeesh, why computers are so difficult ? Why don't they sell 1 GPU per 3 years ?! Why don't they make new CPUs every 4 years ?
    WHY IS IT SO EXPENSIVE!!!
    :p

15. R0achTheWarHero

R0achTheWarHero Banned

GPU:
    55nm 260gtx 750/1511/2406
    First of all, people need to stop spamming about 188.25 drivers. The original inf for those drivers only supported 3 cards:

[DEV_0A3C&SUBSYS_214517AA] NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M
    [DEV_0A6C&SUBSYS_214217AA] NVIDIA NVS 3100M
    [DEV_0A6C&SUBSYS_215C17AA] NVIDIA NVS 3100M

I've never seen a driver only supporting 3 cards that was actually worth a crap on other cards and from testing done, there is nothing special about those drivers whatsoever.

188.22 is my current driver of choice. Without a modded inf it supports the majority of cards out there and I've seen 0 problems with it and high performance.

16. galanti

galanti Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX660ti
    Do digital vibrance settings stick in 188.22? Pretty bummed by 188.25, great drivers in every possible way, except DV wouldn't stick.

17. Romiz

Romiz Guest

OMG you are not joking. There have been lots and lots of bad drivers from both ATI and NVidia and all others. In the past year a large number of nvidia final release driver have been bug.. And Nvidia had to patch a new version fast to fix the issues.

And yes a false statement like that can lead to flaming.

18. ChaosPhoenix

ChaosPhoenix Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GLH 1080GTX
    I haven't had many drivers with problems like crashing etc., but there were a lot drivers which were slow as hell or where graphic effects weren't working probably.

19. Infanticide

Infanticide Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB
    Forceware 195.81 are very stable on my system with Windows 7 x64 (still rtm!).
    Ive installed them with system in october last year and ... it;s first time I havent changed an nvidia driver for over 3 months. During that time ive played Bionic Commando, Dragon Age, Mirror's Edge, Operation Flashpoint 2, Prototype, rFactor, Risen, Wolfenstein 2009, GTR2, TDU, NFS Shift, Red Alert 3 and my beloved Silent Hunter (3&4). No problems.
    But. Like someone said already here: "Each driver will respond differently on different systems." I will add that it depends a lot on your op. system health.
    Also some games are sensitive to OS health, other don't give a [] about such things and are just doing what they were designed for :p

20. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    I can only agree with this , not all drivers are good on every system.
    If they would all be perfect why is there a support and help system ?

The 195...are no good for me in a sli configuration and NVIDIA knows it , they asked for my performance rapports with that driver.

I have to say all drivers before the 195... were every time very smooth.