RC (Radio Control)

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by alg7_munif, Jan 2, 2010.

1. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Is there anyone here who has RC as their hobby too, not just computer stuff? I have a RC nitro car and buggy, I also play my brother's airplanes too. So what kind of RC vehicle do you have? My car is a Tamiya TG10 and the Buggy is a Kyosho TR15.

Btw check out my website that I created for beginners:
    www.RC-Spirit.com

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol..nice.

Used to have Tamiya Foxsomething years ago...

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I'm on/off. I always liked RC stuff. Though i prefer the battery types, far cheaper and less headaches. I wouldnt really say its a hobby of mine though but i currently have one of those mini RC helicopters, you use inside your house. called a mosquito.
    it flys really good, looks like an insect and i originally thought i'd have fun chasing the cats with it. but they just stare at it or ignore it.

i used to have a few others when i was younger

4. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    LOL I got the mosquito for Christmas.I planned to terrorize my cats too, but I'm having a hard time with it.It hits the ceiling, and when I back off the control to lower it, it just drops. Finally got the spinning under control, now just have to master height.

5. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    yeah it takes some getting used to. the problem i noticed is the 2 upper/lower rotor blades, if i rock a bit from side to side, the top and bottom blades seem to counter act each other and cause me to lose control.

I read an article about the mosquito that says you can put masking tape on the outer corners of each blade, tape must be same length and it helps balance it better trim it out so its not spinning. Theres videos on youtube too and sites that show you how to do all kinds of stuff with it.

the worst one i got was those Havok heli's. cheap junk

6. Rickyy

Rickyy Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 hawk
    Got a electric mercedez AMG racer, goes only about 30km/h, but the traction is unbelieveable.

My brother got a nitro powered buggy and a nissan skyline that goes up to 80km/h when there's no wind (otherwise it will lift up or flip) and a very long straight road.

My father has a MB pazero or something. But that thing is always broken.

7. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    I've got 3, 2 electric and 1 nitro. It all started when I bought a cheap used E-Maxx in terrible condition, I've went through 2 chassis', at least 5 sets of bulkheads, replaced the motors twice, the ESC once, the radio receiver, at least 5 driveshafts, around 3 diffs and completely blown out 1 set of shocks.

Then I bought a Savage SS kit, spent a ton of time putting it all together, but blew the motor on the first startup because the failsafe for the throttle servo went nuts and it got stuck at WOT. I shut it off by pinching the fuel line as quick as I could but by the time I finished breaking it in there was next to no compression so it made no power at all. I replaced the motor but it's been sitting ever since.

Finally I bought a Mini-T, and because parts were so cheap compared to the bigger trucks I really got into modding it. As it stands right now there's almost no stock parts left on it, and no original parts at all. I put in a Mamba brushless system for power, a ton of aluminum parts for strength and a pretty much one-off titanium chassis because the stock plastic one is much too light and makes it completely uncontrollable. And with the right battery pack and road, it'll hit 60 mph. I can't imagine how crazy that would be though, the thing fits in the palm of your hand and weighs nearly nothing, even the smallest bump or dip will make it fly up, land weirdly and cartwheel for at least 10 metres before landing on its roof and sliding into the curb still going at least 20 mph. Ask me how I know.:) With good traction it can actually do a backflip on the spot just by jamming the throttle.

I haven't even touched any of them in at least 3 years now though because I moved on to ATV's and cars now that I have more money to spend.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  8. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    well when I was younger I made my own remote control car using steel tec and the remote control parts from a rc car. and doubled the battery power to it. fun fun, did the same with the mini rc cars that charged on the remotes I put more batterys on the car,

9. |WOY|Shotty1993

|WOY|Shotty1993 Banned

GPU:
    POV GTX 470
    I would like to get into this, except i dont have a clue. nitro or petrol??? waht are the advantages and disadvatages, how is the maintanace? and How hard is it to keep it running? And could i get anything decent for under £100?

10. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Have a small RC Heli....i use it to terrorize my cat. :)....sometimes its the exact opposite though

11. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    The only petrol powered ones are massive, at least 1/6th scale, and well out of your price range. Nitro is more expensive than electric, and more expensive in terms of upkeep, but you need to buy expensive batteries and a charger for electrics. Pretty much the only maintenance you need is replacing broken parts, which doesn't happen often if you take care of it. The reason I replaced so much parts was because I crashed alot and went off massive jumps. I would recommend starting with electric though, because nitro engines need constant tuning and are just generally more complicated.

For that price you probably can't buy anything good unless it's used or smaller scale than 1/10th, which is the most common.

12. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Never tried heli before and I looked up for the mosquito and it is really cheap, maybe I will get one just to get the hang of it.

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    probably wont regeret it, its one of the best indoor RC's imo. still takes some practice to have good control though. plenty of youtube vids showing how well it can fly

14. GreenSWLegend

GreenSWLegend Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4670
    Mini Monster trucks like mini Z or iWaver are nice. would love to have one but only if i had spare time. Used to keep an eye out for good 6Ch helicopter, just wish i had the time and new hobby now, into photography.

15. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    I have a bunch of planes and cars... But I haven't touched them in years. Pretty much ever since I got "RealFlight G3" I get my RC flying fix with it. I am planning on finishing a 3D plane I've been building for a number of years so I can fly it come spring/summer.

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    a friend of mine got a few of those RC cars. i think serpent ones if i remember correctly.

17. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    What kind of transmitter did you use for the sim?

18. Axkingz

Axkingz Member Guru

GPU:
    HD 4000 / GT 650M
    2 years ago i got into RC cars and trucks.

Now i have a traxxas rustler VXL, a Revo 3.3, Slash, HPI Wheely King, Tamiya TT-01 and some cheap Nitro buggy.

I used to drive them a lot, but i havent driven them lately. Hopefully i will get the RC spirit back this summer.

19. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    I believe you must use the controller it comes with, which is just made by Futaba so it looks/works like a regular controller only it's connected via USB. The one I have is called InterLink Controller Plus. The newest one out is called InterLin Controller Elite (I think)

20. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Some transmitters have an option to connect to a PC so I thought that you use a real transmitter.

Btw, I just won a bid on eBay for a mosquito, can't wait to try it, bought it for 15 Eur with shipping.