Gray screen crashes.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Copyright78, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Exelsior

Exelsior New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 1GB
    Probably lots of typical lurkers like myself that read them anticipating a nugget that will help us solve the issue, but don't bother to post. I've been wrestling with this on the 5770 I got in a new CyberPowerPC machine I received two months ago, and have had it. No official word anywhere, and no end in sight to this problem. In the past my gray screen/vertical stripe crashes only happened in 3D intensive games. For the first time today I got a white screen crash/driver auto-reset from the 2D desktop. Seems to be getting worse over time, lending credence to the degrading part hardware problem theory. Starting the RMA process tomorrow.

2. Jack_Bourne

Jack_Bourne Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5770
    Going to RMA this POS

Well like you mentioned I've tried every nugget of advice out there looking for something, but it only seems to be getting worse. I'm RMA'ing this particular 5770 and I'm hoping that the replacement is able to solve the problem.

Cheers all, I'll post if a new card fixes the issue.

3. mihaibt

mihaibt Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4770
    Well, hallo all, happy to meet you. I must join you cause we share the same problem. I bought my comp in october, since then, any OS i use, same result: RANDOM crash with same symptoms as other ppl here shown. I coud share my photos or movies, but is the same.
    My comp configuration is:
    CPU: Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz box
    Motherboard: ASRock P55 Pro
    Memory: KingMax 2GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9, două bucăți
    HDD: Samsung 500GB SATA-II 7200 rpm 16MB SpinPoint F3
    Graphics card(s): Sapphire Radeon HD4770 512MB DDR5 128-bit HDMI
    Optical drive(s): DVD Writer LG GH22NS50 bulk black
    Power Supply: Arctic Cooling Fusion 550W
    CPU Cooler: ZEROtherm ZEN FZ120
    Fans: 3 Nexus, 2 from case, one RealSilent 120 mm
    Case: Nexus Clodius white
    Display: LCD Horizon 2206SW 22 inch 5 ms
    Operating System:
    Microsoft Vista Ultimate, 32 (but tried with seven and xp and vista profesional, all system used are legit)

I tried:
    - send in service the vcard, 1st thing - 2 weeks of intense tests, no results
    - send the whole unit in service = result RAM (KingMax 2GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9) memory failed in memtest, was replaced, problem continued after some time
    - updated all drivers and flash bios of motherboard - same results
    - changed the profile in CCC , as a friend adviced, so vcard dun get undervoltage anymore - still crashes (The crash is random, usually 1-2 /day , but can be 2 /4-5 days or 5/day. So ... random. The crash is not in full load (or mostly not), but in idle or browsing. I used to do folding for my team with vcard too, but renonced.)
    <Profile>
    <Caste name="Graphics">
    <Groups>
    <Group name="Overdrive5">
    <Feature name="TimeUnlocked" />
    <Feature name="OverclockEnabled">
    <Property name="OverclockEnabledProperty" value="True" />
    </Feature>
    <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want_0" value="50000" />
    <Property name="Want_1" value="50000" />
    <Property name="Want_2" value="75000" />
    </Feature>
    <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want_0" value="80000" />
    <Property name="Want_1" value="80000" />
    <Property name="Want_2" value="80000" />
    </Feature>
    <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want_0" value="950" />
    <Property name="Want_1" value="950" />
    <Property name="Want_2" value="1000" />
    That s how it looks the final profile, its modified part.
    I also closed the hdmi ati sound device from device manager. But this is last measure, still not yet crashed, but i m sure wil do.
    - I also changed in BIOS all dinamic OC options that were on auto (but now on auto back, since i had no results after that measure).
    Someone said may be the network card, but i dun know, im a big NOOB in hardware, but fast learner and quite impatient to solve problems.
    So, what is the solution? I guess only blame ATI and voodoo stuff wont work...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  4. mao5

mao5 Guest

raise your fan speed to 50% can totally get rid off the crash, funny thing is that my 5870 at 900(core)/1250MHz(mem) randomly crash at 35-40% fan speed, but totally stabled at 1.005GHz(core)/1250MHz(mem) with 1.2v vcore voltage and 50% fan speed.

5. mihaibt

mihaibt Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4770
    Thank you! I raised fan speed to 50%, no crash for now, i m curious if it will work. :) Will give you updates.

6. mao5

mao5 Guest

sure:banana:

7. conuk

conuk Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 xxx edition

ive been pulling (what little hair) I have at this...

My XfX 5870 (875 1300) would not run the ladybug demo..... eventully somebody suggested running this at stock .... this got the demo running ... and DCS black shark.... Dirt 2 ..... 3d mark vantage ..... (HD Audio driver disabled) and I thought Id sorted it.....

just ran 3d mark vantage again... it benched gave a result.... then as I left computer returned and a grey screen!!!!

my I7 is overclocked to 4ghz but Ive ran it at stock and theres no difference.

running 9.12 hotfix drivers.

have contacted XFX to see what they say.

8. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    After also doing everything mentioned above the very last thing I decided to try before packing up and sending off my card was to up the fan speed at 50%. And even after running my machine all day both in games and in a browser I've still yet to experience a single problem. No grey screens, no black, no lines whatsoever.

This may just be the fix we all need. Fingers crossed lads. :banana:

9. spartan82

spartan82 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @950/1250
    I only get the crashes when i play Mw2, but raising the fan speed to 50 or higher seems to have worked, but the fan is way too loud to leave that way.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  10. conuk

conuk Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 xxx edition
    I cant be arsed listening to that fan @ 50% all time!

11. conuk

conuk Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 xxx edition
    but will try it ;)

I got more crashes at the XXX levels though.... and less underclocking the card.. so gotta be memory problem ? heat doesnt seem to be an issue..... this is the first ATI card Ive had in years.... oops me thinks.

12. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I don't even hear the fan when playing games, so doesn't bother me in the slightest that it is in fact slightly noisier.

[​IMG]

And after 2 weeks spent dreading my next reboot after my screen suddenly went various colours, I know I for one would much rather have a noisy fan than the crappy alternative.

13. conuk

conuk Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 xxx edition
    mine was set @ 50% and has crashed from windows desktop while I was sat watching tv... so not worked for my card. This seems to be getting worse now - I thought it was just 3d / games....

14. mao5

mao5 Guest

aha, 50% fix the problem as I said, u guys can even oc to 1GHz with it.

15. Jack_Bourne

Jack_Bourne Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5770
    I'll give it a shot tonight and see how it goes. I'm thinking mine is just a POS card. XFX doesn't get back from vacation until January 4th, so I'm still game for trying stuff to try and find a fix until I can RMA this thing.

16. conuk

conuk Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 xxx edition
    [​IMG]

my attempt at 50% fan... am not liking this card!

I got an email from XFX closing my 'new' ticket and keeping open a previous query so I guess some staff are working there.... see how long it takes them to respond to my situation.

17. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Wow the fan speed is working for heaps of people!!!

back to 64bit with uninstalled sound drivers and fan speed 50%!!!

18. conuk

conuk Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 xxx edition
    when I ran gpuz and left fan on auto the temps would go something 70+ when on 50% my temps dont go over 55....wonder if heat is an issue.

Ive just upped my voltage and trying the 50% fan ..... have just benched 3d mark and DCS black shark was running ok...... will see how this pans out.

19. conuk

conuk Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 xxx edition
    ok after more tests heres what Ive done :

Disabled the HD audio - no difference
    Tried different / reinstall drivers - no difference
    upped voltage - no difference
    upped fan to 50% - seems to last longer

biggest thing that has enabled me to run 3d stuff for longer is underclocking the card from 875 1300 to 850 1200.

If I run the card at the so called XXX settings - the ladybug demo for example doesnt complete.

So think this will be RMA`ed when XFX get in touch - afterall no point in paying for an overclocked card if it has to be underlcocked..... just my info on the situation - obviously others are different.

20. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I heard the XFX range are really the bad egg of the bunch. So yeah I'd go ahead and rma it and stop relying on every next 'fix' that crops up on here.

Mine however has been solid as a rock for at least 14 hours now no matter what I've been doing. Here's hoping it lasts as for the first time in 2 weeks I'm now able to really enjoy my new card.