modern warfare 2 running on 5870

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by uffa, Dec 28, 2009.

1. uffa

uffa Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    Hi guys

I just bought modern warfare 2. I set the resolution on 1920 x 1080 and and all settings maxed. the game frame rate drop in large maps and becomes choppy which is really annoying . I tried lowering the resolution a little bit and it's the same thing i also tried lowering the settings and it's the same darn thing. the bummer is that my brother who has the game and running it on a gforce 9600 has it running very smooth on 1440 x 900. I mean come on, this game is not supposed to be a challenge to my video card. Any suggestions? any one have a similar issue?

P.S: I'm using windows xp professional 32 bit and catalyst 9.12.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I'm pretty sure the 9.12 hotfix driver addresses this issue.

3. uffa

uffa Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    I checked it. It seems the hot fix is for modern warfare 1. Do u think i should install it any way?

4. lenehan

lenehan Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7970 DirectCUII TOP
    THe hotfix was supposed to fix up the thermal scope issue in MW2. But may contain other which may hidden to us. No harm trying.

5. uffa

uffa Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    Yeah good idea. Will try it.

6. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA 3080 LHR
    I have my 5870 running MW2 at 1680*1050 full candy and it never seems to drop below the capped 91fps. Running the normal 9.12's here.

7. uffa

uffa Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    I installed the fix and still the same. The frame rate start to hiccup on some large maps. Jonny Manc, what is your os? i'm using xp.

8. luv2increase

luv2increase Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 - 800/1600/1900
    I don't have any problems running MW2 with absolute max settings @ 1920x1080 with even a single 5870. The game is not that demanding. I've never had any problems all the way from 9.10 RC6 through 9.12 hotfix.

It is either one of two things:

1. You didn't install the drivers correctly
    2. You are just another statistic of users running WinXP and having problems with the 5700/5800/5900 series cards.

For crying out loud man, why buy the best possible card which is DX11 and run it on such an outdated OS? And 32-bit at that??? Hello!

Upgrade time...

edit: This is on Win7 Ultimate x64 btw :banana:

9. uffa

uffa Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    I kinda like xp. I don't want to let go yet! any way I uninstalled, used driver sweeper and then installed them again. Same thing. :-(

10. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Well, I've tried it with cat 9.10, 9.11, 9.12 and 9.12 hotfix. No real difference to me. For me, the game is totally smooth in every map, and I'm on an HD5850.

So... I doubt it's a driver issue you're having? :3eyes:

11. uffa

uffa Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    I'm gonna try installing 9.11 and see if it run smooth.

12. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    I absolutely don't get why someone continues to run a DX11 card on a OS that can only do up to DX9.0c.

Infact, i doubt ATI has extensive testing of their hardware and drivers on such old OS that barely taps into the feature that hardware supports. I wouldn't be surprised if the XP drivers for HD5xxx series lacks any optimizations.

Edit: Infact, looking at your specs i see no reason at all why you would continue running XP.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  13. uffa

uffa Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    sigh... old drivers don't work too. Oh, and why i have it on xp is because i like xp it's stable and reliable and also i bought this card because it's fastest single gpu out there. There are no enough dx 10 or dx 11 games to justify getting an new OS.

14. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB

dont worry man... its not ur pc... its the game...

its outdated DX9 console ported game... so why do u care..?

u have the best GPU that runs Crysis across 3 LCDs with minimum of 30 FPs..

hey.. try Shattered horizon...! the best dx10 online pc exclusive game from the best compnay futuremark...

why do u care about a game that uses an outdated dx9 console port...
    i even dont want to make fun of my pc by runing this game...

it can run on an iphone...please man... ur making a mokery of the pc gaming community...(windowsXP + 5870+COD(dx9) )
    oh man.. please...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  15. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    Can you post up a screenshot of GPU-Z?

Are you sure the card is not overheating for some reason? What is your power supply?

16. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA 3080 LHR
    Helpful....NOT!! MW2 runs great for me, rarely (if at all) dropping below the cap at 1680*1050 :D

Anyway, I am on W7 Pro 64bit.
    TBH, its as stable as XP for me, no problems that concern me (the odd 'this program has encountered a problem' crap with Windows Live stuff, but nothing major) and it performs great in games.

It really might be worth getting hold of a trail and run it for a while.....you might be surprised.

17. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Some things to consider...

When installing/removing drivers use driver sweeper in safe mode. Plus if it´s a new 5870 in a system that has run nvidia previously do a fresh os install, might seem harsh but best way I know to be sure.

Game runs flawlessly for me on 9.10´s. (not tried 9.12 as am away from main pc).

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    because the dx11 effects are nill and make your rig run slower over dx9
    as you can see here
    http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/12/01/directx-11-performance-first-look-dirt-2/3
    not everyone bought a 5xxx card for two game (as of now) dx11:)

19. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Yeah but its not only games, its OPenCL, DirectCompute and other features which make Win7 much better option. Also the 5k series is built for Win7, not an obsolete OS that is like 10 years old? So I must agree with earlier poster, why buy a dx11 card and only let it run on dx9 OS. Thats like driving a ferrari @55 mph, instead of 155+?

20. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    the OS is the problem..i bet if you try windows 7 the game will fly..
    trust me..you won't loose any fps over xp, and if you wanna have the xp look just apply a skin..and there you have it.