No Direct x 11 Direct compute tesselation 9.12

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by olapaulakoski, Dec 21, 2009.

1. icehot666

icehot666 Member

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    9.12 hotfixes working fine here, on 5870 crossfire setup, got directcompute and directx 11 working just fine, these drivers are pretty cool - this is a fresh install of windows too, and I only installed the hotfixes, I didn't put anything on previous to that.

2. Wolfskin07

Wolfskin07 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    Bumped into this thread while browsing the forums and I must say i'm curious to find out if i have all working as it should.
    I think I do cause in DIRT2 i have all the water effects and the crowd is using tesselation for sure but you can never be too sure lol.
    Is directcompute relevant to games? or is it like CUDA on nvidia?

Cheers,

Wolfskin07

3. olapaulakoski

olapaulakoski Master Guru

GPU:
    msi hawk 5770 1 gb
    Dx11 features just dissapeared after cat 9.12 install or think they are installed but something messed them up, only way to get them back properly. My theory is reinstalling windows and only using cat 9.11 will fix it and i wont do that.:) but i donĀ“t care, stream is officially kicking butt right now.:)

Doing a clean windows install with driver when the next catalyst comes out, i am not doing anymore experimenting with the drivers. Btw stream gives me the same and better cpu gpu acceleration as direct compute. Tesselation i can do without right now.

But when i buy stalker i wont accept if direct x 11 is not working properly. The benchmark has tesselation greyed out and direct x 11 is unavailable in it previously it was available now its not even in the list only 10.1.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  4. olapaulakoski

GPU:
    msi hawk 5770 1 gb
    Anyone solved this yet? Anyone been able to run dx11 in games tesselation, stalker bench?

5. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

dirt 2 no tessellation for water.... it's terrible that a new dx11 features in the first dx11 games is disabled .... -.-'

6. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    I can run Heaven Benchmark with tessellation on.

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Strange though, My direct compute 5.0 box is checked, but my OpenCL box is not in GPUZ 0.38.

Tesselation seems to be working here OP.

8. luv2increase

luv2increase Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 - 800/1600/1900
    I don't know what you guys are doing, but you did something wrong if you don't have DX11 features. Also, for OpenCL, you need the 9.12 hotfix (8.682) driver installed "with" the latest ATI Stream SDK 2.0 whql that just came out a couple days ago. I don't know how you guys are having problems. ATI clearly states to not install drivers on top of other drivers. You must uninstall your current drivers before installing new ones. Also, to get OpenCL to work properly, you have to install the ATI Stream SDK 2.0 whql AFTER AFTER AFTER you install the 9.12 Hotfix drivers. Do not install the 9.12 Hotfix drivers on top of the 9.11 beta, 9.11 whql, 9.12 whql!

This is what your system should look like if you have the Catalyst 9.12 Hotfix and ATI Stream SDK 2.0 WHQL installed correctly:

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
    3 x XFX 5870 in Tri-Fire w/ASUS Flashed BIOS
    Core i7 920 @ 4.1Ghz
    --> All Dirt 2, Call of Pripyat and Heaven Benchmark DX11 features work FLAWLESSLY :banana:

[​IMG]

9. luv2increase

luv2increase Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 - 800/1600/1900
    Here is the error-proof way to uninstall and install ATI drivers. Follow this to a T, and you will have the best experience. There is no other way to do it IMHO.

1. uninstall all your drivers - reboot
    2. Run Driver Sweeper 2.1.0 in Admin mode and sweep everything ATI - reboot
    3. Delete all AMD and ATI folders from your OS drive - This will include \Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\ATI & Roaming\ATI as well!
    4. Open up Task Manager, and you will see the first process as atiblahblah.exe. Open up the file location, end the process, and then delete that file along with the other 8-9 ati files right next to it.
    5. Run CCleaner. Run CCleaner Registry Cleaner
    6. Open of your registry -- regedit -- Navigate to LocalMachine\Software\Delete Every Folder ATI & AMD | Navigate to CurrentUser\Software\Delete Every Folder ATI & AMD
    7. Open up Auslogics Registry Cleaner -- Click Advanced Scan -- Check every single box -- Click run and then clean
    8. Logoff
    9. Login
    10. Install 9.12 Hotfix (forget 9.12 whql) - reboot
    11. Reboot again
    12. Install ATI Stream SDK 2.0 (non-beta)
    13. Reboot
    14. ENJOY!

edit: If you have AMD CPU, only delete ATI folder in registry.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  10. Yadda

Yadda Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1200/6400
    Cheers for the tips and I'm pleased it worked easily for you. I appreciate it can be difficult to understand the problems others are experiencing when it worked as it should for you.
    I honestly don't think I've done anything wrong when installing the drivers. The old ones were removed correctly before installing the new ones (as I have for the last 10-12 years of PC builds and upgrades) and unless AMD/ATi have changed their driver installation procedure (which I can't find any official mention of) then I can only assume the error is caused by something else. Ahh, the joys of new hardware/drivers. :)
    If there's no official word on this over the next couple of weeks then I'll fiddle around with some of the more elaborate installation routines some people have mentioned. Until then I have far too much red wine and mince pies to get through! :)

11. olapaulakoski

GPU:
    msi hawk 5770 1 gb
    For me it does not matter if you install only hotfix. Direct x 11 features are gone, right now using whql and the stream whql. There seems to be no difference in stream support i the 2 graphics drivers.

Will wait and se if direct x features reappear in next driver instead of reinstalling anymore.

12. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I have the hotfix and ATI stream 2.0 SDK WHQL installed, but GPUZ still does not show OpenCL.

13. swecarl

swecarl Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780ti Sli
    GPU caps viewer tells me i have OpenCL, Cpu-z tells me i dont =)

[​IMG]

14. luv2increase

luv2increase Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 - 800/1600/1900

You have to download the special version of GPU-Z 0.3.8 for it to see OpenCL on ATI cards. Here is the download link:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31606&d=1261648128

Here is the thread discussing the problems with GPU-Z 0.3.8 and detecting OpenCL on ATI cards:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=110810&page=3

The linked special build of GPU-Z 0.3.8 is the only one with the OpenCL box checked.

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Thx for that post luv2increase. That did the trick. GPUZ now shows both OpenCL and DC 5.0.

16. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    You make me LOL......

ATI only suggest you remove Legacy drivers first. Catalyst drivers are perfectly ok to update without uninstalling previous catalyst versions.

17. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    my 9.12 + hotfix
    tesslation is working for me here
    [​IMG]

18. olapaulakoski

GPU:
    msi hawk 5770 1 gb
    This is weird, i dont even get the option for direct x 11 anymore. Worked fine until 9.12. I have windows 7 ultimate 64 rc.

I am starting to think something might be broken with my direct x install or there is no support for rc in this driver.

What os do you run?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  19. luv2increase

luv2increase Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 - 800/1600/1900

You do not know what you are talking about. What makes it worse is what you had written to start out your "ignorant" post.

ATI does "not" suggest, but rather they make it perfectly clear that you "MUST" uninstall any previous Catalyst drivers before installing a new version.

Unlike you, I will gladly provide you with proof of this right from their website:
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU-1-ATICatalystSuiteDriverWV.aspx

It makes me wonder just how many people you've told that erroneous advice to. :puke2:

20. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    I have the same problem. DX11 does not work with Catalyst 9.12, nor with the hotfix, but works with older drivers(9.11 I think).
    I have W7 RC 64Bit, so maybe that is the problem.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009