Micro Stuttering(To go with 5870 or 5970 ?)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Opeth, Dec 3, 2009.

1. ibitato

ibitato Guest

I have the same feeling; in FO3 went away with cats 9.1

But, i wouldn't put my hand on fire, for this.
    It can be gone, but maybe there might be a "come back" .... broken game profile on the drivers , etc etc etc

I still think that if there is a big single card, powerful engouh , it's less problems ....

BTW, I couldn't be happier with my trifire, well, maybe with a 4Ghz CPU.....

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    actually, you can reduce microstuttering by turning on vsync. with vsync off, microstutter can occur due to a variation in rendering capacity between the gpus, causing one gpu to render more frames per second than the other gpu, thus causing a sync issue. this is because with vsync off, graphics cards will render as many frames as possible.

however, with vsync on, both gpus are forced to render 30fps each, thus, you do not have the issue of one gpu rendering more frames than the other.

note i said reduce microstuttering. there are many different forms of microstuttering, and it varies between the various methods of crossfire. for me, in afr games, vsync works well enough for me to not complain. and it also reduces loads on my gpu down to 30% because my cards do not need to and hence will not render at full capacity, thus reducing temps as well.

3. BlueDragon

BlueDragon Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870
    Yes I know! I just meant that far cry 2 was a stutter show or as you put it choppy frames I googled it and ATI cards are bad for far cry 2 in DX10 mode but who cares never got around to play the game but a lot of people said it was boring.

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    you cant get rid of ms with drivers it must have been the drivers in the first place.
    99% of the time you think your having ms its something else.

5. Opeth

Opeth Member

GPU:
    Asus 5870 + 8800GTS (G92)
    MS is not nice but i believe in the next few months(at least i hope) ATI would release drivers about MS issues(since 5xxxCF setups and 5970s are very popular atm) and that problem will be reduced...

Btw i ordered my Asus 5870 + 4gb more ram(same kit i have as in my system) so i'll go 64bit OS(yes 4gb is more than enough anyways but i'd like to do a overkill from time to time... and being future proof never hurts in means of memory :p)...

I hope i'll assemble a nice 8gb ram(hope 2 more sticks won't effect my OC), i7, 5870+8800GTS(if i can manage to make drivers work(physx mod)) system with a 64Bit OS :) And the first second SSD's goes lower on an acceptable price range i'll get one of those also so i guess my system will be a good future proof, comfortable machine for a long time(relative to computer tech time range :p)... And after a point where 5870 is not enough i'll add another one so the MS issue will be even more reduced at that time(again i hope) and my system(at least GFX) will lost a little more longer...

Hope they won't delay delivery and by this time around yesterday i'll be finished with the installations of the parts & 64bit OS(and yes it'll be my first 64bit OS experience hehe) :)

Again... Thank all of you guys with the inputs and help :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  6. zshadow

zshadow Active Member

Far Cry 2 is as smooth as silk on my 5970, but only when vsync is enabled. If you turn vsync off it will microstutter.

Same with L4D2. If you go below the 100 FPS mark it will microstutter at certain points (frame rate stays above 60 but animation is not as smooth). Solution is to turn vsync / triple buffering on.

99% of the time vsync fixes microstuttering.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  7. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    haha, i went from 4gigs to 8gigs ddr3 as well. i noticed it crossfires a little better in mw2 and borderlands. that and the ability to alt tab out of any game to chat on msn without any slow down is badass.

but on a random note, going up to 8 gigs caused my windows experience index for memory to drop from 7.5 to 7.4. and according to amd overdrive, my floating point calculation capabilities have deecreased by 10%, but its not really notable in games (altho in 3dmark vantage, cpu score dropped 300 points).

8. Timesgodjillion

Timesgodjillion Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0
    Multiple GPU setups will ALWAYS suffer from microstuttering to some degree. It's not something that's going to go away anytime soon. It's up to each individual consumer how tolerable it is to them.

9. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Far Cry 2 has never been butter smooth for me, even on single GPU setups with a high enough min and avg FPS.

10. Opeth

Opeth Member

GPU:
    Mine is 7.8 :p But seriously i don't care about any synthetic benchmark or "grading" system to be honest... I rarely use benchmarks to see if there is a serious problem going on or not(i.e hdtach for graph, hdtune for hdd temp+sector check, vantage just for stability and heat measuring and ofc score but just to check the impact of a new part over my system,...etc)...

As you said, in games that much of a decrease wouldn't be noticed... But hell yeah 8 gigs is good for future and going to 64bit from 32bit 3.25 gigs... I'll let you know about the ram performance difference(what will happen from 7.8) and ofc if 4 sticks wouldn't effect my OC...

i know man, if you read my post again, key words are "hope" and "reduced" :)

11. BlueDragon

BlueDragon Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870
    Cheers for that I can enable Vsync turn it off it does not matter far cry 2 in DX10 on any ATI card I have had as stuttering but NVIDIA 9800 gx2 was the same or even worse but my GTX260 was smooth but there again it was a “The was it meant to be played” game after all.

12. zshadow

zshadow Active Member

Could be an HDD thing. I know FC2 does quite a bit of streaming. I'm running it from an SSD personally.

13. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Mmm you could be right. I no longer have the game so i'm unable to test.

I've never come accross it in any other game though personally, i had it down to the engine.

14. BlueDragon

BlueDragon Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870
    Same here no other game but run it on a NVIDIA GTX260 in same system CPU,HD,MOTHERBOARD etc, no stutter but my 5870 stutter's on same system only on DX10 but DX9 smooth.

So I think the same it’s the engine.

15. skunksmash

skunksmash Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5970 + GTX260
    im getting bad ''microstutter'' with the 5970 & the new 9.12 drivers....

it weren't there with the 9.11s, but the 9.11s have the 2D downclock issues (157/300 = artifacts), so im forced to use the 9.12s

this is not an FPS issue b/c ive gained at least 2k on vantage, so framerate is not affected... but gaming experience has dropped no end.

also.... the new 9.12 driver will revert 2D clocks back to 157/300 if you go 1mhz over stock, then the artifacts return & ppl cant tell if they have a stable OC or not..

there's loads of ppl suffering with these clocking issues & artifacting actually thinking they have faulty H/W.... they do not, this is ALL driver related.

i know the cards fully functional b/c when i run furmark i get NO stuttering & a clean crisp 200FPS @ 1920X1080

THESE DRIVERS NEED SERIOUS WORK, being a long standing Nvidia user, tempted in by the 5 series lure.......im NOT IMPRESSED :3eyes:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009

16. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    First of all I'm no fan boy I get the best card at the time whoever it may be.

But I feel the same, never had a problem with Ati drivers back when I had a 9800XT though I didn't like it when CCC first came out and used classic control panel back then.... anyway then I deflected to nvidia who had better cards during the 8 series. Now back to Ati with the 5 series and not impressed with the drivers at all.

Thought they would have sorted most of these niggles with the Cat 12's, alas same **** mostly. Another month to wait for a fix if there is one.. sigh

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  17. skunksmash

skunksmash Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5970 + GTX260
    i know...its a real pain, im just hoping enough ppl suffer with this 9.12 crap so they'll release a ''hotfix'', cmon ATI my faith is wearing thin.

im also someone who follows the performance trail rather than the brand, but im sorry i can now say without a shadow of a doubt, you pay more with Nvidia for a reason....they're cards & drivers are FAR more refined than ATI's

did you hear about the ''Eyefinity & CFX'' issues that the ''hotfix 9.12'' was supposed to cure.

instead of properly coding the drivers for crossfire setups they simply botched this hotfix together so now you can run ''Eyfinity'' with crossfire but ALL monitors will only run playable performance @ 1680x1050 or lower :3eyes:

Great going Team Red..... if you were unlucky enough to buy 2x 5970s with the hope of running your 3x 1920x1080+ monitors... forget it!!, your looking @ 2fps with CFX 5970s

18. nascasho

nascasho Master Guru

GPU:
    GV-N670OC-2GD @ 1250Mhz
    First time I ever experienced it was with 3-way GTX260's. Coming from experience, it'll piss you off once you learn what it is and start seeing it frequently.

Biggest reason I'm afraid to get another 5870... :(

But @ OP, dude, you want another card go for it. I'm seeing a couple of people with 5970's + 5850's merc'ing every damn benchmark thrown at it.

But none of them mention anything about stuttering yet ...

19. zshadow

zshadow Active Member

Personally, I only saw improvements with 9.12 driver on my 5970. Furmark does not ensure stability either, no benchmark program does. I've had cards before that ran Furmark for hours but were artfacting in certain games. It all depends how the engine is stressing your GPU, really. For 5xxx series cards in particular the best test seems to be the Unigine benchmark in DX11 mode.

As for the clocking issue I would try backing down your CPU OC and see if it still occurs. These cards seem to be more sensitive to insufficient voltage.

20. Opeth

Opeth Member

GPU:
    Well first of all i'm happy with my 5870+8800GTS setup atm... I play games at 1920x1200 with all details at max(i only played crysis warhead 4xaa instead of 8xaa which doesn't make any visual difference at that resolution)... I play Dragon Age, MW2, Borderlands,...etc and no problems with any of them... I also updated to 9.12, and around 1.3-1.4k vantage increase at stock clocks..

And for the artifact problem with multi screens on 2D, i had the same thing also when overclocked... The reason for it is, if you use single monitor it clocks down to 157/300 in 2D BUT when you enable second and/or 3rd monitor(i've Samsung T260 + 40" HDTV) it changes minimum clock to 400/1200 if and only if if your card i NOT overclocked... It is a known issue but i thought ATI would fix it with 9.12 :(

Anyways, if you wanna use multiple display on 2D, only solution seems to be use it at stock clocks...

On the other hand i found out a guide about this issue about editing a certain file about these 157/300 - 400/1200 clocks... Then when you are running multiple display on 2D when overclocked you can actually set the minimum 2D clock to 400/1200 or anyway you want so you fix the flickering issues on 2D...

I'll try to find it again for you guys, maybe it can be helpfull to you...
    For me, i started use my 5870 @ stock coz after doing all the necessary benchmarks i wanted to do, i saw that there is no need to overclock for gaming at 1920x1200 resolution with a single monitor...

I might buy a second 5870 but i guess it won't be before next summer coz as i said it is more then enough for me to play games...

Overall i'm happy with my current setup with no problems at all...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009