XFX ATI 5770 not working.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by LostHH, Dec 9, 2009.

1. LostHH

LostHH Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD6950
    Well it should be! lol Otherwise ATI arn't following standards properly (unless the standard was changed)

Yeah I know they're not rechargeable and the last BIOS was 2005 lol, was hoping to find the equivalent Asus BIOS but to no avail

Well I've applied for an RMA but still have 28 days to post it off so what I'm going to do is take home a CR2032 from work (have a couple new ones in my drawer).
    Failing that, I'm going to take my PC to work and hook up the voltmeter and measure the volts and current being drawn by the card, particularly during the boot process.

Will also see if I can get some guys from engineering to convert ac to dc with a rectifier (if one is lying around) so I can power the card via a VARIAC and see if that works, I really want to try this one as the variacs we use can handle a drawn current upto 500A, just hope I can convert it.
    I also have a dell PC at work with a PCIe slot but the psu used for it doesn't have a PCIe power connector lol so will use a seperate PSU on that, probably mine assuming it isn't duff lol.
    So if that doesn't work then it's 3 PCs I would've tried, checked the voltage across the 12v rails and checked how much current the PSU is drawing, the card is drawing and the mobo is drawing etc and made sure there was adequate current supplying the card.

Might as well check all the possibilities if the resources are there I guess and hell if the company I bought it from are all "well it's fine up here" and want me to pay testing costs.
    Will report back with my findings :)

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    well given that the x1950 is 2-3 years old and the 5000 series are new, wouldnt it be more logical to blame it on your 5-6year old intel cpu and mobo?

pcie 2.1 is backwards compatible. otherwise it would be pointless as i dont know of any mobos that use pcie2.1.

3. LostHH

LostHH Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD6950
    Then what of my brothers PC? Although my board being incompatible is still one of my suspicions but would expect atleast a POST.
    Either way, I'm sure I'll find out what is causing the issue eventually (hopefully!)

4. troja

troja New Member

GPU:
    Saphire
    Hi all,

i think i got an similiar problem.
    i've just bought my new ati 5770 saphire Vapor-x. and when i turn my pc on it doesn't go any further then the POST Screen.

i've already tried an BIOS update aswell. it most likely looks like an DOA but i thought ill give it another shot at this forum.

first question is.
    Did you solve your problem?

my setup is:
    CPU: Intel 8400 @ 3.00 ghz
    Mobo: Asrock wolfdale 1333glan/m
    Mem: 4gb
    PSU: Coolermaster pro 600W
    Gfx: Ati 5770 Saphire Vapor-X
    Casing: Antec 900

Note: I'm 100% sure everything is connected well. aswell for the 6 pin on the gfx.

Any suggestions please?:(

5. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    If you get a solid display, then your card cannot be DOA, as it works.

If it isn't getting past the POST screen, then it could be a compatibility problem between the card and your Asrock mobo.

6. troja

troja New Member

GPU:
    Saphire
    i figured that out aswell that it might be an compy issue, the reason i am posting on this forum is i would like an solution.

are their more people that having issue's like this?

7. troja

troja New Member

GPU:
    Saphire
    It does boot and work fine on my old pc,
    What the hell could be wrong with my main pc, could it be the mobo that is not compatibel?

8. LostHH

LostHH Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD6950
    My solution is to not buy ATI again

9. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    How awesome of you.......So Awesome.

10. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Its a real shame you had allot of problems.

11. PCboy650

PCboy650 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SLI
    I had this problem. All i did was take a RAM stick out and PRESTO!!! I played for a bit and then i thought .... what if i put the stick back in. I put it back in and it still worked.

12. LostHH

LostHH Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD6950
    What will be awesome is when the retailer get back to me on their tests as they've now received the card back.
    Although I reckon it'll be a mobo compatibility issue still. So what will be mroe awesome is paying to get the bloody thing back but man, I just have to know! lol
    If it is faulty I shall get the refund and put towards upgrading my PC rather than jumping the gun and going straight for the G.card.
    Also, in a few months there might be some better revisions out.

13. tomgreen321

tomgreen321 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD6870
    Honestly I would return the card and get something older. You'll never get the benefits of anything from the last 2 years or so since you're processor is much too slow.

Unless your specs are outdated?

14. provoko

provoko Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    I'm having the same problem. My mobo is nforce 4 abit kn8 sli.

I tried moving the ram, nothing.
    I tried updating bios, nothing.

A strange work around was putting the 5770 into the 2nd sli slot, that did post but would crash in games about 2 minutes in.

None of this makes any sense.

We need a real solution other than "buy something new" because all this hardware is compatible and it should work.

15. |WOY|Shotty1993

|WOY|Shotty1993 Banned

GPU:
    POV GTX 470
    Doa??
    Rma??

16. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I don't understand why you would not buy ATI because of a possible motherboard incompatibility on your part. Just doesn't make sense.

That said, I await what the retailer told you. If they're actually gonna test it that is. Most of the time they just replace things without even looking.

17. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I think that's pretty funny, thinking that buying a GTX2xx will all of a sudden solve his incompatibility problem, considering it's his motherboard that the cause of his problems.

18. Raven^

Raven^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4870 512mb (Stock)
    Mate is having the same problem his won't boot up at all and when he has his onboards plugged in the 5770 won't even show up in the device manager so I think there may be some issue with pci-e ver 1.0 slots :/

19. LostHH

LostHH Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD6950
    On ATI's part thank you. Last I heard a PCI-e card should work in a PCI-e slot. Regardless of v1 with v2.0, the standards are there for a reason.

Either way, tried RMA'ing but to no avail, have the card back now so going to to try silly things.
    One thing that worked is removing the motherboard battery and then reinserting would make the computer post and boot everytime (have replaced the mobo batt so it's not a dead one).
    Might just mess around with that until I build my new system which will involve the 955 BE cpu and a MSI 790fx board with a cosair 850tx psu. It better work then lol but thinking of buying a 4890 just in case as well.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  20. rongtw

rongtw Guest

GPU:
    asus 1060 strix
    i have exactly the same problem :bang: with my HIS5770 1gig, all i ever get is a blank screen.
    NF-M2SV MB
    4 gig ocz mem
    550w ocz fatality PSU
    500 gig HD
    xfi sound card

what the shop told me ,, as it runs on their testbed its either a compatibility prob with my mobo or with my pcie slot ??? they say as it a older board and no bios update to go to pcie2.0
    i was going to exchange it for a nvidia 500 card but they say may still have the same prob as it is also pcie2.0, they suggest another mobo
    any ideas ???? is this correct