American cars... are they all like this?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by The Chosen 1, Dec 15, 2009.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    A lot of American cars(Sedans and coupes anyways) aren't v8's though anymore. Just more powerful cars like the srt8 and srt10 from Dodge, a 300c variant from chrysler, higher end Camaros, and Corvettes. Which cars like that, people all over the world buy over powered cars like that. Other than that, trucks and vans which need that power. But not all American people drive high end cars that consume so much gas. I drive an 01 Neon SRX. It gets about 30-35mpg. I'm okay with that. Also, there are cars with low hp and torque here that sell for less.

Aveo, Focus, Cobalt, Cailber, Avenger, etc. Cars in the States though, all have wide varieties of different vehicles. And for us, we've got pretty decent gas mileage for cars that have a bigger engine and have more power compared to European cars. It's a country thing here. People here in the States don't want small cars like the Smart car. For us, small cars today are cars like my Neon, which actually the Neon is big lawlz. This can be argued about almost anything. Another example, sports. Europeans would prefer sports like Soccer, where as most people here in the States go for Football.

Now I'm not going to lie, over here there are still cars that don't even get 20mpg. One is the 2010 Charger. The base model only gets 19mpg. But then that's Dodge for you. Their priority in cars is more power versus cars like Ford, that are made for decent mpg.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  2. cad cam man

cad cam man Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    Ok here is a long answer.
    I know where you American people are coming from and I do see why a 5.7l @ 210 bhp is preferable to a diesel 1.9l @215 bhp car. Diesel has characteristics that gas does not. Ok the torque on a diesel go's through the roof till 2750rpm then drops off. The bhp is the same till you get to 4250 rpm and then drops off. The power to the wheels till 3750 is good and then it drops off like stone. Add to this that the engine management of modern cars monitors the heat soak in the engine block and will not give you full power if the car has been running for a long time. In my opinion in Europe diesel makes good since due to the very high cost of fuel, in the UK its about £5 a UK gallon ($7 US).

Best regards
    Andy

3. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Car cruising down the highway uses around 20-30 hp to overcome drag.

Short of Germany and Britain, not many nations have nice roads. Especially the farther east you go - where on any given exit there might not be a merge lane at all. You just queue up.

Traffic jams in Europe are far worse than here. I know. We've waited for dark to make 30 mile trips.

Don't compare Europe's truck-to-car ratio with the U.S.
    You're barking up the wrong tree.

Have a look :
    http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/3/7180/z7180653M.jpg

http://www.efakt.pl/m/Repozytorium.Obiekt.aspx/-650/-550/faktonline/633885426142556987.JPG

http://www.drivemedia.pl/images/korek_na_autostradzie.jpg

http://www.strefabiznesu.nowiny24.pl/system/files/autostrada_korek_pod_Rzymem_fot_tp.jpg

U.S. cars need big engines because the cars are big.
    There's no excuse for sedans weighing 5000+ pounds.
    (Other than they "feel good" when they "flow" over road bumps - sprung softly so the driver can't feel the road...)
    I'd much rather have a light car (doesn't have to be small to be light) with the same power. It'll be quicker, and get better mileage.

-scheherazade

4. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Glow plugs.
    Gets em started every time.

Every ford my family has had has needed work all the time.
    But we do the work, and they last. Albeit they rust a lot.

We have hondas that last (93 accord, had 2 of them. FLAWLESS. Closest thing to a perfect and reliable car I could ever imagine.).

We have hondas that don't last (odyssey. The 1st model year it got sliding doors. On its 4th transmission).

I had a Mitsubishi evo 9 that I could not kill no mater how hard I was on it. I was super impressed. No issues whatsoever with that car. I will probably go back to one after my current car, if I don't get a used GTR or go for a kit car.

And now I have a BMW 335, which BEFORE TUNING had wastegate issues, electronics issues - From the get go. Before I even hit 3000 miles.
    I don't remember the mileage, but I'd estimate that by around 10'000 miles I had the AC fixed twice.

-scheherazade

5. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    coz yeh can do doughnuts!

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Simplest explanation I can give. The US has a completely different market than other countries. US car makers have always been known for large, heavy, high-powered "sports cars". European, Japanese and Korean manufacturers have always been known for small, light, efficient cars. Americans have a need for power. A 90hp car, contrary to some posts I've read, are not laughable....they're just considered underpowered. In the US, power (hp/torque) sell cars...not fuel economy. The US economy was so good at one point that people didn't care how much gas they wasted. Also, most Americans don't seem to understand how much damage we're really doing to the environment. Most full size trucks in the US get 18-21mpg Highway while full-size cars get around 18-24mpg, with mid-sized and compact cars getting 24mpg - 36mpg. The US is working on stricter emissions standards, which will force fuel economy to improve. Cars like the Fiesta are coming...in fact, the Fiesta is scheduled for a 2011 relaunch in the US. Ford has used the Fiesta as a testing platform in Europe for several years and has finally decided to bring it back to the US after 20+ years. The US-EPA is always looking for ways to improve emissions and fuel economy...they just act too slow. With the current price of gasoline in the US averaging nearly $4/gallon, fuel economy is becoming more a concern for most buyers, even though their driving habits don't really change. Check out Ford's website sometime around June for information on the Fiesta. Unless Ford is misleading us (Ford Dealers and Technicians), the Fiesta will return to the US market starting with the 2011 model year, which begins around April - August depending on manufacturer and vehicle model.

7. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II

That is why i started the thread... I thought they were already implementing the stricter emissions standards but then i see the automakers websites and most of them have cars( big or not) with big engines. That is why i mentioned the Golf. The smallest engine you can get for that car in the US is a 2.5L, 5 cylinder engine.

8. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II
    Traffic jams in Europe are the same as in the US. Big in the cities.

Edit: Double post... again....

9. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Avgas/Kerosene?

Tbh once it's started you don't really need additives, diesels are injected and have a (forgot name) valve in the fuel filter that feeds fuel back to the tank keeping it somewhat warm..

Diesel engines are fine in the cold, must look after them though!

10. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    Yes I will give you the "its older crap" because it is. Newer 5.7's from GM have more power, and take into consideration that its meant for torque and towing. Plus Americans dont like a pussy truck. Anything less than a V8 in a truck, and it shouldn't be called a truck.

Those small engines also have one HUGE disadvantage as well, their ability to gain more power. Sure you can push a smaller engine into the 400-600 HP range, but V8's can easily push 800 HP with a moderate PSI boost on a turbo/supercharger. Not to mention they sound a million times better. So far BMW M3 is the only car that has a good 6 cyl exhaust note, but that really doesnt compare to the grumbly V8's.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Speak for yourself. Not all Americans think about that for a truck. Most Americans probably don't care.

For me, If I needed a truck it would be for hauling tools and everything like that. I don't need a v8 or more for that, it's just wasted gas. If I needed the power to haul heavy things like trailers I would, but almost anyone with a truck out there doesn't. Same thing goes with Hummers. Never would need a hummer.

And I don't care if it's a "pussy truck" or not, if it drives then okay.

12. aircool

GPU:
    I guess you've not heard a 5 cylinder jtdm, nor a 5 cylinder fiat coupe let alone the old school v6 alfa engine.

In fact hell the 4 pot boxer alfa did sounded damn fine.

13. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    Yeah It's true a lot of people in the U.S. drive Chevy S10s, Ford Rangers, and they have a V6. The Dodge Dakota is the only mid size truck with a V8. The new Ford Taurus Sho has a V6 and people still thinks it's awesome.

14. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Welcome to The American Auto Industry. Where ignorance sells and technology fails.

Big 2nd.

My fun car has a straight 3" Exhaust dumped at the rear half shaft. No Catalytic Converter, no muffler, just 6 cylinders shoving air into a T3/T4 turbo. :)

15. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    i think i'm in love

in some places they mix the diesel in the pumps with antigel/parafine what ever you call it. Plus all modern TDIs and CDIs and what ever you want to call them diesel engines have built-in heaters that heat the diesel when you start the engine

16. aircool

GPU:
    Here at least the cetane rating will creep up a little :D

Damn shame I can't find any ultimate diesel round here though :(

17. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHHAHAHAHAHA....

Ahem... sorry about that....

HAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHHAHAHAAHHHAHHAH.

Seriously, it's a lot cheaper to get a whore than buy a car and the gas for it. Here's the thing, most people don't care how fast your car accelerates, most women don't care. I mean, the thing you just said sounds like something a stereotypical 16 year old high school student would say.

18. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    since we talk about automobiles of America:
    is it easy to find 99 or 100 octane gasoline in America? i saw some use even 85 RON what the hell is up with that?

Diesel in Europe is about 55 btw

19. aircool

GPU:
    Minimum of 51 as index not number ;)

Not sure if its me but in the US it seems cars aren't that lively.

20. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    well my Leon Cupra needs gasoline over 95. I once had 95 in it for 2 weeks and i had the check engine light on because an injector on cylinder 3 was clogged with impurities from unrefined fuel :|