Drivers stop working during gameplay

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Fr023n, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Fr023n

Fr023n New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA Matrix GTX 285
    A week ago I did a little upgrade ( ok a big one ... almost everything changed ) and about 2-3 days ago while playing MW2, Dragon Age, WoW and the good old Assassin's Creed I get thrown from the game, whole screen goes black and I get a message that " ... nvidia display drivers have stopped working. Please save all current information and reboot the system" And it's getting very annoying lately when I get back from the university and take some time to relax and all of a sudden that thingy shows up and blows away the mood :3eyes My PC configuration is below the nickname to the right soooo give a hint or something to fixing this because it's getting really depressing.

Some people I contacted said that it's probably a problem with the card itself, others said that the drivers haven't been installed correctly ...

P.S. I'm not that much familiar with hardware and software so if the topic is in the wrong section - my bad :p

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Corrupt driver install can cause that error as well as unstable GPU/mem clocks. Try backing down the clocks on your graphics card and see if the problem goes away....if you're at stock clocks and reducing them eliminates the problem, the card is faulty.

3. Fr023n

Fr023n New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA Matrix GTX 285
    Any program you can suggest perhaps or something ... as I said I ain't familiar with hardware and software :)

4. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Welcome to Guru3D, Fr023n. :)
    EVGA Precision
    MSI Afterburner
    RivaTuner

5. anth_15

anth_15 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Try cleaning drivers:

Easiest method below.

D/L Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper below and install it.

Driver Cleaner Pro Download Link

Driver Sweeper Download Link

6. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    If you got $10 to spend, get DriverCleaner.NET ontop of DriverSweeper. It just finds more stuff, same instructions as well(safemode...etc..).

7. Fr023n

Fr023n New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA Matrix GTX 285
    Now here's something strange, downloaded the 195.81 drivers and all the games except WoW are back to normal. The black screen doesn't show anymore with the message but instead game freezes for around 5 seconds and everything is in triangles, squares some letters and icons and nasty colors ...
    I'll try and see with the driver sweeper if things get fixed later. As for now -> off the university :p

@Cybermancer: thanks for the warm welcome :)

8. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Your video card is stressed at the stock clocks, either live with it and downclock or RMA.

9. Fr023n

Fr023n New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA Matrix GTX 285
    Ok I've tried the sweeper, installed drivers and etc. and the only thing that changed is that no matter what game I start I get the blue screen with the message of hardware/software problem and PC gets rebooted ... Formatted the HDD and reinstalled most of the things and problem still persists with the triangles and stuff ...

Well I guess I'll have to live with it or I dunno ... will leave the PC in the office tomorrow and hopefully those *cough* do something useful like find what the hell is wrong with the card because several friends of mine use the exact PC configuration as mine (MB, CPU, GPU and RAM ) and got no problems whatsoever with any of their PCs.:bang:

P.S. Errr RMA ?

10. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Hi there Fr023n.
    So i read this, it sound to me like a power supply

11. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    Yea, with a dual PSU system that would be the first thing I would fix. You need one PSU to run everything, two doesnt always work that well.

12. BCC335

BCC335 Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX 285/Evga GTX 480
    Same Symptoms on XFX GTX 285

Getting same thing on my XfX GTX 285 since upgrading drivers from 182.50 to 195.81's will proably bump back to 191 or 182.50 again.