AMD 5 Series or Nvidia 'Fermi'

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by doh_nut, Dec 14, 2009.

1. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    dont u overclock ur card?

2. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    As far as I'm concerned, ATI's HD5000 series hit the spot they're supposed to. I don't know how much you've paid attention to the differences in previous generations, but every generation is roughly half as powerful as the next. This holds true with the HD5000 series as well. If you're going to boast the GTX200 series having the same performance as the HD5000 series, I would hope for the sake of credibility that you bring in some reliable benchmarks. Because from what I've seen, the HD5850 is a decent sum more powerful than the GTX285, and that's no small feat.

3. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    see this
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5970-review-test/16
    frame difference is
    51 - 61 = 10frames

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5970-review-test/14
    difference is
    78 - 87 = 10 frames
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5970-review-test/21
    vantage score difference is
    more or less 1000.

over all performance gain is 8 to 10%

now look at the 9800gx2 and gtx 295 performance difference.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-295,2123.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-295,2107.html

see here nearlly 40 to 55% perfomance gain.

and the last thing the single gpu 5870 is not capable to defeat the gtx 295
    u need a dual gpu to do the job.

but see gtx 280 was more or less same powerful as the 9800gx2. so we can assume that the gtx 380 will at least perform same as gtc295.( but i think it will be better ) so the dual chip card will easily defeat the 5970.

did u get me?:biggun:

4. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    :biggun::biggun:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009

5. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Actually, I didn't. Why? Because you nitpicked certain tests to tilt the discussion in your favor.

Edit: Also, you failed to bring any compelling evidence leading to the conclusion that the HD5000 series is "on par" with the GTX200 series.

6. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    Back to self hard worked experiance, , iv ownd a ati 9200, was oke, then got a fx 5600 ultra that cost me like 2800 zar, thats like $ 378 US, , IT HAD shader moddel 2.0 support but got like 30fps in gothic 3, , then got a 8800gt alpha dog xfx, was great, then got a g80 8800gts 320bit, was awsome, then another gts 320, and u should know they were $350, um, i paid $350 for a gain of 28 %, um wtf! ! Oke then i got a hd4870 asus glaciator 512, the micro wires got damaged and the fan stopped, called south africa asus, and free of charge they shipped me a hd4870 dark night 1gig, , and let me keep the old one, (came straight from taiwan), , then recently i got a hd5870, , dude the tech on that card, , underclocking 2d mode is imposible , the temps are wack cool! ! Any ways, , i see that 2xhd5870 loose 2 a hd4870x2, , any idea why? ? Optimized drivers, , the hd4870x2 was crappy i admit but driver updates my word, software making it so strong, , nw the hd5970 vs fermi, , in the begining they will loose but optimized dx11 and updated drivers id say in 8 months to a year fermi wouldnt stand a chance, having the same or just less performance 4 half price, who could say no to that? ? The new games like dragon age origins isnt biasd, and the gtx 295 looses to the hd5870 in fps @ 1680x1050. Sure the extra mem on the gtx should compinsate for higher res but, um i doubt that since those 3200 shaders arnt there to drink tea if u knw what i mean. :)

7. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    Um do you not recall that Nvidia released the 280 WELL before the 295. The 280 was what Nvidia was referring as "twice as fast as the previous generation", which it kind of was compared to the 9800 GTX, but the 9800 GX2 and 280 are about the same overall.

8. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    Oh and not to point fingers "points at nvidia", if you do your research so well u know about firmi, then u should know that if it wasnt for tax paying citizens that nvidia wouldnt have firmi, , the past 2 years have been a loss for nvidia market , , the US government was kind enuf to over pay nvidia funds of a sum what 200 mil $ for a super computer, , that the profit was 2 keep them going, , reasonable for if ATI were alone in the market they could charge prices they want, (sad i know ATI would rob us), so to prevent that the tax of civil US fokes have keept nvidia going, , check google finance statments on nvidia.

9. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    9800gx2 was such a overpriced card that lost 7 / 10 vs a 1gig 4870, um, , yeah , ,

10. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Yeah the 9800GX2 was the worst nvidia card I have ever owned.

So many compatibility problems.

I owned so many nvidia cards some of the more recent being.

2x GTX 280's in SLI
    1 GTX 285
    1 9800 GX2
    1 8800 Ultra
    2 8600 GTS's

Well they all got sold off except I still have one GTX 280 I use with the physx hack as my physx card.

I had so many driver issues with all of the above. Nvidia display drivers kept not responding on every other set they released. It was not my configuration either, so I know people will cry user related, but it wasn't. UT3 was a big problem. I also had Crysis literally cook my 8800 Ultra in a well vented case. After I played Crysis for a few hours I took a break, loaded up Quake Wars...started having rainbow effects everywhere. Textures started to triangulate/artifact and move around. Yeah...sad, because up to that point it was a nice card indeed.

Now the strange part. People mighta not have liked the FX series, but imo my FX 5700 Ultra was the most stable Nvidia card I had ever owned. I remember very specifically the 56.72 driver set. That card and that driver were the definition of stable, and the performance in games was solid at the time also.

So I got tired of the Nvidia display driver errors and got my HD 4870 X2. While it didn't support all games with crossfire, I could at least play them all the way till I was satisfied with a gaming session. Then I got of course, the card im using now my HD 5870 from Sapphire. This thing is a dream, thats the best way I can put it.

For those debating to buy a new card....I'd honestly say people should not wait if they are ready for an upgrade, it's not worth taking the fanboy approach.

It makes a lot of sense, and no, other cards are showing their age more and more. 1080p is 1920x1080. A lot of newer games out now even the GTX series is starting to struggle with maxed out with AA and AF on.

Also you missed the point. That post was about waiting or not, DX 11 and new tech. What I was saying about my rig, was to prove a point that it's not worth waiting, when a rig like I have now can do plenty. The example was just incentive for the OP to help him chose not to wait for a card, just because of the Nvidia name.

Waiting for something later that will most probably cost more, and do the same thing but a tad faster is not intelligent. Especially when you can upgrade now if you have the means, and experience great gaming.

Unless there is specific needs for CUDA and or Physx, there is no point in waiting for Nvidia.

Trust me I owned them as you can see in my list above. I'm not waiting for Nvidia again so they can jip me out of money like the GTX series at launch, for a few more FPS at that.

To each their own, this is my advice to the OP, you can't change that.

11. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    u r making a mistake. i said little better not on par. 8 to 10 % better. but as a next gen card it needs to be at least 50% better.

and those benchmarks r from a reliable source. toms hardware and guru 3d.

and bro there is nothing to fight here. we both r consumer. we will buy what is better for us.

12. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    and that why i wanna say that gtx 380 will be at least equal to gtx 295.

13. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    You're comparing a dual GPU card to a single GPU card, let alone via 3 tests, and trying to push the differences down our throat as a general fact for the rest of the series? :wanker:

Sorry, but I don't think anyone who knows anything about video cards is going to buy that rubbish.

14. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    fist thing i'm comparing a dual gpu with a dual gpu. the 295 with the 5800......

u r not understanding me. my point is 9800gx2 was equal to the gtx 280, so gtx 380 will be equal to gtx295.

n i'm not suggesting u to buy a gtx 295 or any of nvidia's card. because that will be a bad decision. but if u have one 8 9 or 200 series high end card ( like 8800 9800 or gtx 250 or above ) stick with it. except dirt 2 none of the directx 11 games is in the market. so ur current card will serve u till February 2010. By that time farmi will be available, then compare farmi with 5800 or 5900 then buy one.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  15. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

I disagree. For me, more power is in my interest. If the nVidia cards give me a 15-20 FPS boost in every game, I'm sold. I play Crysis. I play Crysis Warhead. Toss in World in Conflict, and the expected Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - I want to play these all at 1920x1200 with every setting jacked up to the maximum.

For most people, most games would probably run perfectly fine at 1080p with a card lesser than the Radeon HD 5870. I see what you were saying there - I misinterpreted your comment.

But still, waiting for nVidia's cards doesn't make you a fanboy. How do you know I'm not gonna' buy the ATI cards? I'm waiting to find out which cards are better. Then, I will buy the best. Simple. No company-loyalty nonsense.

- PR-0927

16. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    My apologies on not catching the cards you were comparing. TL;DR comes to mind.

First off, scalability comes into a rather large account, regardless of generation. There are some tests that even a 9800GX2 can beat out a GTX280.

Aside from that, you still simply nitpicked three tests for comparison to tilt the discussion. I could very easily play the same hand using Hilbert's benchmarks on BIA:HH, Mass Effect, and Crysis: Warhead respectively. Not only that, but considering that you're comparing a driver polished card to a newly released card utilizing release beta drivers essentially nullifies your side of the argument and basis of comparison, especially since the HD5870 has been seen to beat out a GTX295 in a few tests.

17. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    i'm a fan of nvidia. but i ll buy the one what will serve me the most. i'm consumer. and for being a fan nvidia will never give me cards free so i ll buy the one which is better. so i'm waiting till the farmi..

18. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    I havnt used a nvidia card since 8800gts but its more of the experience using ati.

I mean plugging ati cards to tvs is just way easier! you dont need to use your pc monitor to enable it which i had many problems with my nvidia cards. Its like ps3.

Drivers and overclocking is all in one control panel:). You dont need to download all these tools to enable features.

There is more.

19. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE

20. Tweak-2-

Tweak-2- Active Member

GPU:
    Asus top 4870x2 512bit ,
    you know what guys personaly i have done loads of tests im part of various fourms, , no names because the censor and i got a warning, , , but you cant compare anything anymre, , stuff is bias, , look at ubisoft they had nvidia badges on everything, and once amd/ati developed dx 10.1, ubisoft used it, , and nvidia warnd them and they had to remove it, , i mean were did we benifit without a hack or mod? . . if ur a fanboy do that intence research and u will find more than just the good of ur select choice, , check ms for example , nvidia told them to wait with win 7 because they had no dx11 gpu, , ms showd them the finger and told them about the silicon proof example from ati, , nw back to my point, , if a game says best playd on nvidia its baias, the game was encoded for nvidia, there are those times were ati is better in a bias app , but even far cry2 after a dw updates poof the nvidia badge is gone and u get better ati resualts , vantage, the hd5870 was designd to improve in vantage , beats a hd4870x2 . but in most games its either slower or on par . thats just tweaks opinion