Avatar: using Dunia engine, anyone else excited?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by F1refly, Sep 6, 2009.

1. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    got the game today from newegg. i forgot today is the release date, dunno if i'll have time to play it, that is, i could but i cant even keep up on my current plus have a new lappy to play with.

thanks for the explanation elemental dragon, clears it up.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    ElementalDragon, i never said they were the only company to provide 3D, they are just the ones that make it the easiest if you already have an Nvidia card, and that you would need a powerful card to drive double the framerate.
    I had heard of iZ3D, but never spent much time looking into them as i want something i can use with a large TV.

F1refly, keep a hold of the glasses, don't know about where you are, but they are charging for them now, so i will keep the ones from Xmas Carol to use on Avatar, and whatever else appears.

3. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    Hmm... Seen the movie trailer and... "Pandora" + that tunnel-like transition... anyone thinking Borderlands? And ctrl+c ctrl+v?

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Redemption: Well.... i don't really see how 3D Vision makes it any easier if you already have an NVidia GPU. You'd still need to buy a 120hz monitor (Which last i checked there's only like two models that are 120hz, if they can even really be found anymore) or a 120hz TV, which is nowhere near cheap. On top of that, you'd need to buy the shutter glasses, which also aren't necessarily cheap.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Downloaded it yesterday via Gamersgate, got the serial just now so I haven't played much at all, had to lower sound acceleration down to "48 000" for it to work without crashing on startup but other than that I've had no issues with the game, I like it so far though most game impressions and how it plays have already been covered in the demo discussion so there's not much for me to add. :)

EDIT:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  6. em_dinesh

em_dinesh Member Guru

GPU:
    GBE 460 SOC
    will this run on pc configurations at HIGH settings?

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Don't use AA and it should work, Ultra quality might be a bit more stressfull (I'm pretty sure that's what you meant though, highest visuals.), DX10 seems mainly about optimizations instead of extra visuals so it should be usable as well and might even be preferred.

Best would be to download the demo and try it, it's about 1.3 GB or so. (Full game is about 3.5 GB by the way, similar to Far Cry 2 it's pretty well packed.)

EDIT: DX10_1.dll (DirectX 10 DLL file from a DirectX redist, not DX10.1 as far as I know.) related crash after about a hour of playtime, similar to the Far Cry 2 issue on certain hardware setups, DX9 will have to be tested, still visually they're more or less the same, mostly about optimizations with the DX10 (10.1?) build.

For ATI configurations the EXE name FarCry2 might work better until a dedicated Avatar profile is created (Catalyst 10.1 perhaps?) as it's quite well optimized by now and should also improve performance on Crossfire cards quite nicely.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    hate to say it but its cheaper at newegg.com, hard copy at that.

9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Of course, that's how it is here in Sweden as well, certain (Well most actually with a few exceptions.) retail stores are a bit cheaper than digital download versions (Most noticeable "Steam" though shipping can take a while (Though it's improved a bit, can even get games a day or so before release date at times.)

Price seems to have changed for the Gamersgate version however now that I looked at it, both the limited edition and standard edition were 49.99 when I bought it (Limited edition.) and now it's a bit over 54 Euro so I saved a bit.
    (They cant change the price after it's been paid.) though a retail copy might have been a bit cheaper though the difference would be quite small compared to the current price level. :)
    (And I find it more convenient and simpler with a digital download system despite the somewhat higher price which is a bit funny as shipping and third party payments are nearly totally removed that way though I guess they don't want to annoy bigger retail stores with better pricing AND faster releases and the bandwith costs of course, heh.)

10. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Yeah well i saw the trailer and to be honest it was gay.....

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The main negative point with the game is that it's a bit repetetive, you usually just go across the current "level" and complete various "quests" for the few important NPC's that are around until you can travel to the next area.
    (More so in the "Na'Vi" story than the Human/RDA story apparently.)

Makes things a bit shallow as you either gather a few items or kill a few enemies until you can progress, game looks pretty good but visuals alone doesn't make a game and as mentioned in various reviews the voice acting and overall story could be better. (Game is apparently separate to the movie in a way.)

It's a fun action shooter (With minor platforming and very minor RPG elements.) but it could be better, not the worst I've played though. :D
    (Far Cry 2 had many of the same issues with being a bit shallow and repetetive unfortunately as did the first Assassins Creed but I hear the sequel is much improved, looking forward to it, despite the "little" delay.)

EDIT: Weapon DLC.
    http://avatargame.us.ubi.com/#/dlc
    (Same as the limited edition content, unique models for the rest of the weapons not covered in the limited edition and/or pre-order bonus, same stats as the normal version.)

EDIT: Heh, limited to US only apparently, oh well.
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6391049957/m/4961085908
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6391049957/m/6771078908

EDIT: Patch out.
    http://www.gamershell.com/download_53900.shtml

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  12. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    Thanks for that link.
    Just grabbed it.

Just finished playing as Na'vi yesterday.
    Not a bad game.
    It was diverting.
    Still able to travel about to various locations to complete sector challenges.
    Gonna' play as RDA next.
    Based on $50.00 price I paid.
    So far it's cost $2.30 per hour.
    Can't complain so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  13. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I really enjoyed the demo for this, considering it's a movie tie in I was blown away by how good it was. Worth a purchase on PC then?

14. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Indeed. I think it far surpasses CryEngine 2, it's just that it was implemented badly in Far Cry 2. Because that game felt really lacking, but the graphics were jaw-dropping.

15. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    Yeah, the movie will indeed use RealD 3D.

Sadly, the closest 3D theater with RealD is miles and miles away from me and even if I could make it there I'm 100% positive it will be sold-out for weeks; it's the only 3D theater in a large area and everyone who wants to see it in 3D will be going there.

I suppose this is going off-topic since it's about the movie and not the game, but I was one of the people who thought this movie was going to suck ass after I saw the first teaser trailer. It honestly looked like a flashier version of Delgo to me, and even went through the trouble of making an Avatar->Delgo face morph gif.

But man....in the weeks since then my opinion has turned around 100%.

What started it for me was the "chase" clip that I first saw on Rotten Tomatoes. I was seriously impressed. Then I kept seeing more and more clips, and slowly I started to realize that this movie is going to be F-ing amazing on the big screen.

Titanic was sappy and incredibly overrated, but this is *IS* James Cameron. Aliens and Terminator 2 are pretty much FLAWLESS action movies IMHO. In fact, I'd say Terminator 2 is probably one of the most perfect sci-fi action films ever made. You can't argue with results, this guy knows what he's doing.

I think I'm in agreement with RedDawn; this is now my most anticipated movie in years.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm really not looking forward to it, having saw all the trailers, it just looks too silly, and i don't like fantasy stuff.

Only reason im going is because of the 3D, wouldn't bother it was only 2D, same thing as the game, not going to bother with it until i get some 3D hardware.

17. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    You're right, the trailers are indeed crap. The marketing has been a failure IMHO, but I really think it doesn't do the movie justice.

Like they said on IGN; "forget everything you think you know about this movie".

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well, its better i go in with low expectations, since i can only be suprised.

Have to say this trailer is alot better, looks like there could be a decent strory.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/6797862/Is-James-Camerons-Avatar-the-future-of-movies.html