How to know your hard drive's noises?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by softcris, Dec 11, 2009.

1. softcris

softcris Active Member

GPU:
    XFX-HD 4870 X2 2GB DDR5
    I got this 'trouble stomach' noise from my driver(s?) and can't find out what is making it or which one is making it.
    So I google it and found:

Hitachi (maker of hard drives and just about anything else in the world) has posted six helpful sound files of failing hard drives intended to help you diagnose if the sounds your hard drive are making are indicative of a bum drive.
    The sounds are disturbingly nightmarish to listen to, but could really come in handy when you need to diagnose hard drive problems. Check out the WAV files at the bottom of the page.
    Hard Disk Drive Knowledge Base [Hitachi Global Storage Technologies]

Unfortunately it does not exist (or anymore) in the site.
    I supposed to listen to the WAV files to identify the noise and make the diagnostic.
    Anyone has a link where I can hear these sounds for identification?
    My PC is overall ok, but it could be speedier....so maybe I can improve finding out what is the sound in it.

2. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Here's pretty much the same thing:

http://www.datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

It has sound files from all different manufacturers, as well as different problems. If you would like to find more, try a google search for "hard drive sounds" or noises.

3. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    Under normal noise conditions you should never be able to hear most hard drives. The background noise in your home or office should be enough to drown out any sounds the drive will make under normal conditions. I have a Cosmos case with three hard drives inside and unless I shut off everything in the room and close the door I can't hear them. Even then the noise from the fans makes them very hard to hear. If you can hear the drive under normal noise condition than I would be concerned. If not it's not really something to be worried about. As long as you don't do anything stupid to a hard drive it should last for a very long time. I have one PC that's 15 years old and the hard drive was still running fine the last time I checked.

4. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    S-HD 5770 1GB 1000 / 1400
    Funny site with all the sounds of faulty drives, and kinda pointless coz if your drive is making any of those sounds due to any of those problems, its gonna need replacing, the full site could just say "If your drive clicks or grinds, replace it"

5. softcris

softcris Active Member

GPU:
    XFX-HD 4870 X2 2GB DDR5
    thank you all, but I heard the noises (link above) and NONE is like what I hear here.
    It's like the driver (s - I got 3 and don't know which one is ) is working hard ..something like a noise stomach...wel as I can remember.
    PC is ok, running perfect etc...
    The box is Mystique (Cooler Master Mystique II Aluminium MidiTower SILVER ATX). I believe is not the PSU because is a very good one (so I think! - Cooler Master RS-A00-ESBA Real Power Modular 1000W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS12V 16dBA 120mm )

Still I have not a clue...the noise disaperas after some hours of idle computer or very litlle taks going on..now you tell me!

6. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    S-HD 5770 1GB 1000 / 1400
    Maybe you are hungry?

Eat a sandwich and see if the noise stops...