Nvidia the ongoing Stutter / lag issue thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PirateNeilsouth, Oct 11, 2009.

1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You know the 'funny mine works fine' replies were humorous the first 100 or so times you posted it.
    Jest sayin'

2. slideways666

slideways666 New Member

GPU:
    gtx280
    Here was my 100% solution for my stutters.. Repeatable and reproducible--- now gone..

Hi all--- Not sure if its been posted or not... But for me-- the stutter was caused by the evga precision program.... The problem is the external program polling the graphics cards for gpu temperatures fan speed etc..

As it hits the gpu to get data-- its causing a stutter.. Once i removed the precision program-- Stutter was gone.. I would bet if you turned off the graph monitoring--- the stutter would go away also.. But i just got rid of the program all together.. Using Rivatuner now and everything works just fine..

w7-64
    e8400 oc'd to 4.1 24-7
    gtx280 w/ 195.62
    matrox th2g with 3x1640x1050=5040x1050

Took a lot of messing around before i finally figured out the problem-- but once i found it-- joy :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  3. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I too notice a stutter in BF2 that can only be described as appearing as if you dropped to like 20 fps for a few seconds then back to normal. I went back to 186.18 and all seems fine.

4. FlinchingNinja

FlinchingNinja Member Guru

GPU:
    460 HAWK, 88GTS 4 Physics
    I got weird slow down on mw2. Disabled soft smoke and made specular mapping have setting of high.

Then enabled 8xq aa and 16af and enabled ao on the nvidia control panel which sorted it out.

Problem could be down to some eye candy not working great cause of the new compute stuff....maybe.

Meh dont care too much as long as the fermi gets good drivers.

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    did you both tried the following:

1. disable HT in bios to see if its the cause
    2. Turn off or on Threaded optimization in Nvidia driver profile( i use On for cod)
    3. Do not use any monitoring software while you're playing it, especially on osd.. if you must see fps then use commandline instead - cg_drawfps 1
    4. In ingame menu enable dual gpu's (even if you don't have it, made the game smoother)
    5. And first 1-2 min its Punkbuster causing some strange slowdowns, so you cant do anything about it except tweak a bit in commandline (cl_maxpackets 100, cl_packetdub 2, rate 25000, snaps 30)

6. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070

Are you sure you have power managment mode set to maximum performance and not adaptive in manage 3D settings in nvidia control panel?

7. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    With Windows XP I don't even have that option in the control panel. Besides I looked in Rivatuner and the clocks stayed constant.

8. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    That's a solution to most things now isn't it?

Not griping at you but i think i've heard that so called solution enough times :(

9. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    :p face it, the BF2 engine just sucks, always has. lol.

seriously.. its similar to the issue bf2 had when it first game out :\

10. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 980Ti Gaming
    I've been playing COD4 since it first game out. Only real variable here is the nVidia driver version. NEVER experienced the lag (for months and months) until the newer drivers.

Going to give the EVGA Precision solution noted above a try.

Edit: Unfortunately, disabling or uninstalling evga precision didn't resolve the stutter in Fallout 3 for me. Haven't tried COD4 yet, but am not hopeful.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009

11. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 980Ti Gaming
    Unfortunately, disabling or uninstalling evga precision didn't resolve the stutter in Fallout 3 for me. Haven't tried COD4 yet, but am not hopeful.

12. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Stuttering may effect one or more people, but others don't. I only use the drivers that shipped for my card for best and stable performance. Using my 9800gt/181.21 works like a charm, every game runs perfectly. Grid 1280x720 aax2, almost max, 35-75fps easily. Crysis all high settings with aax2, 1280x1024 35-60+

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Using older drivers for stability is fine for older games, but not for new ones.

It always makes me laugh when people grab a new driver then complain it doesn't work with some years old game.

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    thats because they should be backwards compatible! nothing funny there.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Ideally, but considering the many many different PC games that have been developed that is no easy feat.

I for one don't want new drivers being delayed just because a new feature which speeds up a new game breaks something in an old one, when that game already has dozens of working drivers.

16. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    and whats more, when those games are built on much older versions of Dx, one has to realise that said games are not natively supported on newer hardware.

SM2/3/4 cards don't have native fixed function support (though geforce fx tried), and SM4 cards don't have native SM1-3 support
    Its all a case of high level emulation where the effects and functions of the older versions are crafted by functions in the newer versions.

17. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I disagree.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    What a compelling argument:wanker:

How is a driver that was released before a game was out any use, many new drivers contain optimisations for specific games, this is especially true for SLI setups.

19. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Its a trap.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    lol, thought he may of changed though?