need some tech help with a game and tcp ip

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by feralfreak, Nov 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. feralfreak

feralfreak New Member

GPU:
    dont know how to find it
    im having a problem with my computer, specifically with trying to join in or create a game in star wars galactic battlegrounds saga, its not the game that is causing the problem but something on my system i cant seem to fix.

after i load the game, and i click the "create" button to create a game, or enter an ip address and click the "ok" button to join a game, it freezes, that is it, it freeze and does nothing. i wait much longer than it says and it does nothing, the same thing happens when i try to join in or create a game in age of empires.

ive done everything i can think of, forwarded the ports, even re-reinstalled the os, and nothing. let me describe how the problem started:

when i couldnt get back into the online game runescape, when star wars worked perfectly(i was creating and joining in games easily), i did everything i could think of and couldnt get back into it, the java applets wouldnt load, so as a last resort i backed up my pics and stuff and reformatted and reinstalled the windows xp operating system, service pack 2.

afterwards, i could install the game and play single player just fine, but couldnt create or join in games, reformatted and reinstalled again and i still cant get it to create or join in games.

im on a cable modem, and have been before the problem started, can someone tell me what i can do to fix this?

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  3. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    You should install Service Pack 3 for starters.

4. feralfreak

feralfreak New Member

GPU:
    dont know how to find it
    after my first reformat reinstallation, i was told the same thing by someone at a microsoft forum, tried sp3, and it didnt work, i still couldnt get it to let me create or join in a game, and before the first reformat reinstallation, i had sp2 and the game worked fine, i cant seem to figure out what is different from before the reformat reinstall and how the system is now

5. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    You should never have problems creating a game.

Joining a game might be different because of how you've forwarded ports.

Are you making sure you don't have any Firewalls and things.

6. feralfreak

feralfreak New Member

GPU:
    dont know how to find it
    i turned off the windows firewall, and before the first reformat reinstall i had no problems with the zone alarm firewall and the game, and the forwarded ports are the same as what the site portforward.com says, and they worked fine before. i can get the game to run with no problems on a laptop that i never did a reinstall on, but i cant figure out why it wont work on this desktop, does it being a dell brand or having the cable modem hooked while i did the reformat reinstall affect anything?

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Do you have Zone Alarm running?
    Cause then you need to add the executable's to it's white-list before you try to start a game.
    ZA has a bad habit with coursing Windows to freeze when there is a new fullscreen application asking for net access.

8. feralfreak

feralfreak New Member

GPU:
    dont know how to find it
    but i also had it running before the reformat reinstall while playing, it didnt cause me any troubles, same with the compaq windows 98 pc i had before this one, on this one ive also turned za off and still had the same problem