Gray screen crashes.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Copyright78, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Copyright78

Copyright78 Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX580 900/2200
    I know some of us are getting this and some aren't. For those of us who are try to disable the ATI Audio driver in device manager and see if this fixes your issue. It has helped a few of us resolve our problem.

2. Timesgodjillion

Timesgodjillion Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0
    I can vouch for this. I had gray screen crashes since the day I bought it and I had tried EVERYTHING to fix it. Actually had already taken the card out of my comp and was ready to RMA when I saw someone suggest this in another thread.

I reseated my card twice. I installed the latest DirectX. I tried 4 different drivers (and used driver sweeper in safe mode after every uninstall). I reformatted my OS. I tried using two different monitors on two different ports. I tried using just one monitor, since a lot of people have flickering if they use two. I tried underclocking my card and/or turning my fan to 100%. Turned my CPU down to default clocks. Tried EVERYTHING I could think of to get this card to work from the day I bought it.

Then I saw the post, but instead of disabling HDMI audio, if you use the "Custom" install option instead of the "Express" option, it allows you to not install the HDMI audio at all. So I chose not to install them, and BAM! Cancer...I mean, card works perfectly.

Thank God, REALLY didn't want to RMA a card since my fallback card was an Nvidia 8800GTX because I had given my cousin my Nvidia GTX295 when my Sapphire HD5850 arrived.

Moral of the story is, if you've tried everything else and you scoffed at the thought of the HDMI audio being the problem, give it a shot. Worked for me.

3. misterpro

misterpro Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5870 Voltage Tweak
    Let's see if it helps me.

I have the gray screen crash every day, and only withing first 5-10 min of starting my first game after it has been powered off for a prolonged period. After that it works flawlessly for hours (or days) on end.

We'll see what it does tomorrow morning.

4. Copyright78

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX580 900/2200
    Let us know how it works out.

5. irfy

irfy New Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5870
    I'm having the exact problem I think if you guys are talking about this screen crash [​IMG] I'm going to try to disable the ATi audio driver now see what it does, its been a real pain in the butt to figure out whats causing this problem.

Will keep you posted.

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    oh man i had that with no audio driver installed that sucks

7. irfy

irfy New Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5870
    Ok, I think disabling the ATi audio driver does work. When I used to play GTAIV, I used to get that screen within 15 mins or so, now I've been playing for an hour and didn't no screen. So I think it did the trick. Thanks.

8. misterpro

misterpro Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5870 Voltage Tweak
    Still does it, once a day within first 5min of starting a game. After that it can plow on for hours (or days) if you don't power off and let it cool off.

Already reseated the cooler with new thermal compound before didn't help either (although temps dropped)

9. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Sounds like the card needs to heat up first, and it just can't when it's using 27 watts in idle...
    Well, what a strange error either way

10. Copyright78

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX580 900/2200
    Its been like 5 days now with no issues for me. I have been gaming and I am overclocked 950/1250 at the moment. So far no more problems.

11. misterpro

misterpro Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5870 Voltage Tweak
    Have you powered down in those days? Because I can run a year if I want with no crashes provided I don't shut the pc off for the night.

12. Copyright78

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX580 900/2200
    I have done a few reboots but I never power down completely anyways and was getting hte problem. If I let the machine sit over night then the next day the problem would return. I have not had an issue since I disabled the ATI Audio driver.

13. Iced09

Iced09 Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 570 (love it)
    I've gotten this issue many times before, (this train leads into a separate tunnel) but I've noted that this grey screen has mainly happened when I push my 965 past 3.8Ghz (Haven't found any stable volts as it just greys 5 seconds after starting bench)

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    that did not cure it the deleting hdmi audio driver it gray screened four times today but so far its cured you know how???????
    i put in a nvidia card

15. Copyright78

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX580 900/2200
    I played call of duty world at war 2 for almost 4 hours today.. not a single hickup. The pick of the screen above is exactly what I was getting. Its not clock related for me. I had two crossfire cards and it started when I went to one card. I stared off with one card that never gave me problems though. Its driver related for me. I was getting crashes atleast once a day.. not anymore.

16. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    ill be getting that once or twice a day. But its usually purple screening for me...

I havnt disabled yet since i formated and hasn't crashed yet, mainly because i havnt used my comp alot since before i formated.

17. irfy

irfy New Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5870
    I'm afraid the problem has returned, was playing Left 4 Dead 2 and *poof* gray screen. Really fustrating me now.

18. Copyright78

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX580 900/2200
    Odd, maybe mine will return eventually but right now its been solid. Hopefully ATi gets these 9.12 drivers out soon so we can see if it resolves the problem.

19. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    randomly, i started having this issue recently. but i opened up afterburner and found out that ati overdrive was overclocking my gpu even tho i hadnt turned it on.

this happening to anyone else?

20. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    S-HD 5770 1GB 1000 / 1400
    The majority of you with this problem seem to be running Intel Chips

But obviously not limited too as there are 3 of you with AMD too, there must be a common denominator between you all, although I can not see it from your specs