Problem With NVIDIA Scaling On Windows 7

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by digi7al, Aug 9, 2009.

1. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    Win 7 detects edid info from monitor, and will not allow changing resolutions/refresh rate to "unsupported" resolutions. Ive had a helluva time getting my monitor to do 100hz because of unsupported.

I had to remove 2 pins in the dvi to interfere with edid reporting, than manually edit monitor drivers and properly "decorate" them. (x64 issue I believe)

2. BeeJAyP

BeeJAyP Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti Hybrid
    I have had the bug for quite some time with Windows 7, when I change the scaling option it will revert to "Use my display's built in scaling" but when I close the Control Panel and open up a game I will find that it is scaling the way I want it to regardless of what the Control Panel says.

So try changing the option, click yes in the dialog, ignore what it says when it is done, don't click or change anything, close it, and run a game and see if it works for you, this may only work when setting "Do not scale" as that is the setting I use, but it works for me every time.

3. _Rnesto

_Rnesto Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    got the same problem with my H213H. tried on my 3 computers and the problem stayed: unable to select a different scaling mode. But then I have this idea, I have and old but quite useful 19" LCD, my Hanns monitor lol, started the PC plugged the 19" and then I was able to choose 'Fixed Aspect Ratio' which is the scaling mode I like, then unplugged the 19" and plugged back my 21.5", presto!!! 'Fixed Aspect Ratio' maintained, god! love my LCD a little bit more now, 'cuz the 19" has much better black levels (imagine that, 700 against 1000, H213H contrast level sux!).

That's it, borrow a small LCD if you don't have 1 to do that. it really works. no need to edit that edidiodo information. lol.

forgot to say: works on XP and 7 64-bit.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  4. fli_guy84

fli_guy84 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460 1GB
    Sorry for reviving this old thread. But is anyone still experiencing this problem in the 195.55 driver? I can't seem to get it to work. It seems to work sometimes on the latest official driver though.

5. Mozgus

Mozgus Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 3GB
    Still broken for me.

Oh wait, it does. The button's position doesn't change, but it does seem to be changing the setting now. It always says "Use my display's built in scaling" even if it's set to something else. Well thats good.

6. _Rnesto

_Rnesto Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    old thread? for and epic problem. lol.

installed the 196.21 under XP and got fixed aspect ratio working by using first a 19" lcd, selecting it, and then switching back to my 1080p lcd. got 1920*800 working perfectly. but, I tried this on windows 7 and didn't work. nvidia has serious problems.

does ATI have this feature? customs resolutions?

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    196.21's are bugged.

The 197.25 set seems to have cured the scaling problem...(well for me at least).

No more fuzzy text..;)

8. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    its to do with vista and win7, prolly main reason is aero and wddm

9. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    When I try fixed aspect ratio scaling, it reverts back, yet ingame, somehow, it does work :|

10. qstoffe

qstoffe Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 580 @ stock
    I still have this problem on 263.09

11. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    Oh God, I remember this problem. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't work on G80, as I remember reading it lacks the ability. Even though there was a workaround in some older drivers. I also noticed on newer cards it reverts back but still works, like Corrupt^ stated. Not sure what else causes it though, it's always been buggy.

12. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Use moninfo from EntechTaiwan to dump your EDID into an .inf, use notepad to edit its content, put it in a folder other than your desktop, use device manager to install it, reboot, plug 'n pray.

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, I noticed the scaling was working correctly for 3DMark11 yesterday as both the Performance and Extreme tests are 16:9 aspect ratios of 1280x720 and 1920x1080 respectively. Both displayed correctly with top and bottom borders on my 1920x1200 native screen.

However, if I select 1920x1080 on the desktop then the screen is stretched vertically to 1920x1200 which was not the case when I was using the HD 5870 cards as the 1920x1080 resolution was shown in a 16:9 ratio with top and bottom borders. I had this same issue when I had my GTX 280 back in March so I'm amazed that it still has not been fixed. It's not often that I praise AMD but at least scaling works exactly as you'd expect with their cards. :3eyes:

14. ortucis

ortucis Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS 1060 Extreme
    Holy ****, fix the damn scaling issues nVidia.

It has been so many drivers, so many years and even now on 301.42 I can only select "Full-Screen" option (other than GPU scaling, which thankfully works since Display scaling is blurry).

So many old games require this option (I am trying to fix this problem for Warcraft 3 but here we are..). Maybe if new GTX 680 users complain they will fix it. Since it seems nVidia ignores complaint from older cards owners the moment they have new expensive **** to sell.

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Well, if it's just for recording you can still play it distorted and just deal with it :/