Dragon Age

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by mcharj11, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    A lot of their games were core AD&D even up to NWN and such. The issue and main reason there is not another DND type game is that WOTC(Wizards of the Coast) has taken back their arrangements with the companies that had the various rights to use with the release of 4E DND. So while a company or person can use certain ideas and concepts, DND type stuff is off limits. That is the main reason why Bioware is going with Green Ronin publishing for their Dragon Age pen and paper RPG.

The main reason for the spell changes and stuff can be broken down to 3 letters, MMO. MMO's have changed the way things like that work. In WOW if you had to wait a long time to use a power the game would be less fun. So it shows that certain games do change how other games are made. Dragon Age is fantastic and Bioware knows RPGs and I do not see them making too much a drastic change.

2. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    if you're ever in Orzammar, you could try a hand at the arena (got to find some guy in the quarters of the arena to set up the fights)

or just try to clear out every enemy within the area, that'll get you a boost in XP. And go from one location to another hoping for random encounters

Though that said, leveling up isn't enough, especially when faced with a large number of foes. Best to fall back to tactics

3. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

Would u mind telling me why wizards of the coast took back the arrangements? This sucks since many ppl grew up with AD&D and their various worlds. Most notably their forgotten realms.

AD&D has developed their fantasy worlds extremely extensively which is not surprising since it's been around for so long.

I am sure many old fans of AD&D were glad they could play those games on the pc rather than use those multi sided dice with pen and paper.

4. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    lol, felt bored and made myself a deviantart chatroom for dragon age

5. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    It breaks down to money and WOTC felt they were not making enough of of their IP. With the launch of 4E DND they retracted almost all of the old agreements and canceled agreements with sites to sell digital content. Some companies bent over and took it and re signed new agreements, which limited them very very much. Others told WOTC to get bent. WOTC really screwed over Piazo Publishing when they pulled the digital selling agreement. That is one of the main issues with people not liking 4E DND, it caused a big backlash with other companies that used to have good working relationships with WOTC. That is why Bioware is using Green Ronin to publish the Dragon Age RPG.

As far as your statement of people choosing a computer DND game over the pen and paper game with the dice, well you sir could not be more wrong. DND is and has always been about real people in person sitting down and having a grand adventure. I have been playing DND in some form or another for 21 years now. I still meet twice a month to get my nerd on with some friends and enjoy the game very much. While DND computer games are for the most part awesome, they will never replace the feel of the dice, the excitement of whatever the DM is up to and just the social aspect.

So I see the direction of Dragon Age as one of progress. I feel that Bioware has what it takes to tell WOTC to stick it, and profit from it. There are many companies out there that make fantastic RPG gaming products but because of the huge beast of WOTC many go un noticed. While I still enjoy 4E DND and others owned by WOTC, the other companies have gotten my attention and I have to say it is well worth the look. I will knock down old ladies and jay walk to the moon and back for the DragonAge RPG book when it comes out......or just buy it online somewhere.

6. Darth_Sidious

Darth_Sidious Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia 8800 GTS
  7. Understandable

Understandable Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SC 900/1800/2200
  8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
  9. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Thnaks for that camp chest I was waiting for that to come around.

Now if my items disappear I can kick your ass :)

10. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    Are there any graphics tweaks for this amazing game?

My screen in only 720p so instead of having a high resolution maybe I can get some super high res textures or something similar?

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    may i ask something. iam not playing game but iam wondering something. i palyed with LONG SWORD which is two handed wepaon for a while and saw some random finishing moves like cutting heads lol..is it also incldeed on SHIELD+SWORD combination? and i saw a few screen here on forum. making kills of BOSSES. can u do those kills with SHIELD9SWORD too? i mean the animations happens in the S+S combination? thanx.

12. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Yup =-]

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    hmm. thanx man...i always prefer a shield on my hand :D

14. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Alright, I've finished the game, my first one (and I intend to play it again as different characters). I have to say...

*NO SPOILERS*

The whole thing is simply magnificent. The story telling, the in-game cinematics, the music (I really think it's the best score that Inon Zur managed to do so far, it fits in flawlessly), the sounds and yes, even the graphics and animations. I liked all the technical aspects of it, of course it could have been significantly better, but the engine they built was probably made a few years ago (I think they worked something like five years on this mighty project that is Dragon Age).

Also, the game, for me anyway, was rock solid stable, not one single crash, not a trace of freezing and only negligible stutters or slow downs, and even then it might be too heavy words for what it really was. I must say that the scale of this game, the amount of quests, scripted scenes, dialog scenes, codex-related stuff, everything... it's epic, it's huge, yet it never crashed, the testers working on it did a superb job and were spot on. And, no, I'm not saying it's perfect. I'm just saying that I myself haven't encountered anything that I would dare calling major in terms of bugs.

Anyway, I played my first game for five days, it was a hell of a ride. I played it at my own pace I must say, I think I put in more than fifty hours or so, I'll have to check back for that with my saved games. I did almost all of the side-quests, almost, I think I had about a dozen remaining, but that's it, I traveled back and forth to all corners and winds of the game's locales to find quests, even some that were added after some quest board was previously empty. I spoke to almost all NPCs I could, I looked at all the merchants... gah... a freakin' awesome journey it was!

And when going at the party camp to relax and trade with the merchant a bit, keep in touch with my party members, talk to them by the camp fire, with the calm music and songs in the background, peaceful, inspiring. And the romance story I went with, fabulously done. The voice acting... THE VOICE ACTING! Sheesh! Incredible work (Leliana's voice actress has one of the best accent I've ever heard for the English language ever, if the accent was intentional and completely acted then she's marvelous and I hope BioWare will keep her for their future similar games requiring good voice acting).

Anyways... enough praise. I think I'll relax a bit after that stuff I went through, five days of playing it and nothing else. I actually do want to go in right now and start another character but I need to keep some meat on the bone to eat for later, once I finish all the Origins I fear I won't look at it as often, so for now I'll put it aside and go kick some Skags in Borderlands and make RED's life a bit harder with Sasha and my Sandvich.

15. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    I agree. But the 60 to 120 hours depending on your playstyle for a single playthrough is a little bit exaggerated. My first playthrough was 54 hours according to my last savegame (the game saves the game when you finish it so you can still play DLC if you want to with your finished character) I did everything possible, but as there are so many choices and consequences in this game, I think I'll have to finish it a few more times until I've seen everything.
    Some of the choices you have to make are really hard. I even felt bad about myself because of certain choices, which hasn't happened before. Props for that (or not :p making me feel bad about myself: bad developers!)

16. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    I'm doing most everything but the Blackstone/Mage quests. Very good so far, and the first game in a while to be bug free. I can already see how choices affect parts of the game, etc.

Its also fun to play as different characters. Heres a hint: Dwarves don't have the best luck trying to persuade people, even when its the right thing to do. Now, they are REALLY god as 'persuading' people, if you get my meaning :D

Love Leliana's accent too; too bad her default skillset stinks...

17. Beren-OneHand

Beren-OneHand Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    I'm down at the climactic final battle area. She just did over 200 damage with a single shot and took down a hurlock emissary.

She is useful.

18. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Guys I have a weird issue. Sometimes I will start the game at 100-120 fps then others its down to 70. If I close and re-start the problem goes away...

I def havent changed any settings and the game looks identical. And I have been saying how wonderfull Ati drivers are. Sod's law hehe.

It's def happened a few times. For example at the camp I will be at 80 or so fps then another time it will load and be 50. It's almost as if i was running sli and a gpu wasnt kicking in.

On 9.10s atm.

19. DES_MX

DES_MX Guest

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    Yes she has that lethal shot ability (dont remember how its called exactly!) but if the creature doesn't resist, then it usually just dies... :) I use it from afar, when possible, on mages..

Did anyone beat Flemeth or the High dragon on high difficulty?

20. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Just started this game and all I have to say it is simply amazing!

Runs very smooth and looks great, Immersive story line and deep plots.

+1 on this game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.