PPD for the 5000 series Radeon cards???

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by batmeat, Oct 7, 2009.

1. batmeat

batmeat New Member

GPU:
    GTX 260 OC
    Everyone knows that F@H clients work exceptionally well on Nvidia boards, but how does the new 5870/5850 card fair? My GTX 260 puts out around 7200 ppd, my 4870 (when I had it) could barely pump out 3000 to give you an idea. I'd love to crossfire a pair of 5870's but not if I can get more points/wu's done from a single gtx 285.....well?

2. batmeat

batmeat New Member

GPU:
    GTX 260 OC
    In case any are wondering, I did some more digging and found that folding still sucks on ATI cards. Don't expect anything till client 6.24 comes, and even then it's iffy if OPEN CL will be supported which supposedly will boost PPD on ATI cards. Seeing how the 4000 series cards were out over a year ago, you can imagine if or when any update will come from Stanford.

3. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    as far as i can tell, folding doesnt work yet on the 5000 series.
    but im not expecting any huge improvements except for the normal one you get with more shaders. the lower ppd is probably due to the difference in architecture.

4. BoLeK

BoLeK Guest

U can use switch to make program to think that u run r700 chip which is supported -forcegpu ati_r700
    My 5870 at 1GHz get ~5,5k PPD

5. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    XD thanks for that!

[EDIT] Are you using two clients? Which drivers are you using?

I'm getting unstable machine errors :(
    Hopefully it's just the 9.11 betas and I haven't got a damaged card, but with all the bad luck I've had recently I wouldn't rule it out.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  6. BoLeK

BoLeK Guest

Using 9,11 beta. Also running 2x CPU Client. And I'm too getting error while trying to do something for example on full screen, like watch movie or play something, even screen saver cause folding to crash on GPU. Have no problems while playing music or browse Internet.

7. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Cheers for the info, I'm starting to wonder if there's an underlying problem with all 5xxx GPUs. I've been getting white dots in Crysis, but looking at their forums it's a known issue. Other people get artifacts in Vantage, apparently another known issue. I have my doubts drivers are going to fix these problems.

[EDIT] I rolled back to these drivers and it seems to be folding without errors now. PPD sucks at 4000, but it's better than nothing.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My 4850 was getting 4500PPD....as per fahmon. My GTX275 gets roughly 7500PPD....until F@H crashes..

Think F@H is what actually did in my 4850....lol.

9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'm getting PPD of 2421.72 running Folding@Home at 96% (no clue y it ain't hitting higher, probably because the system is loaded in other things).

deltatux

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    There has to be some issue with the drivers....HD5870 shouldn't be getting less PPD than an HD4850 did. If ATI can get that resolved, I'll reconsider buying one for folding.

11. sardine

sardine Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070
    thought i would load it back up after over a year...

damn!!!!!!!
    folding on both of my 4870x2 gpus and also smp cpu client gives me about 4800ppd
    loaded just the gpu core client on my sons 8800gtx and 5600ppd lol

ATI sucks at folding big time.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My HD4850, OC'd to 700/1105 managed to pull off 4500PPD...4200PPD at stock clocks...my GTX275 gets 7500PPD.

There has to be some issue with the 6.23 client that's dropping everyone's PPD....I refuse to reinstall my 4850, as I currently have my system stable again.

13. Zebatshu

Zebatshu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    They seriously need to redesign the F@H client to work better with ATI GPU, im sure it's not being used to its full potential.

I might be wrong here but i have read somewhere that the current client was originally designed for the HD3000 series cards and never updated to optimize the HD4000 fully, however there was an update just to support the card. Same for the HD5000 series, you can trick F@H to think you have got an HD4000 series card but that wont help you much since the program is not optimized for the new hardware. Kinda sad. :cry:

ATM im using my cpu to fold since i can't study for my exams with 2 HD4850 card's fan at 100%, sounds like if there is an leaf blower on in my room. :bang:

EDIT: btw i can only get 2k PPD out of one HD4850 at stock speeds, is this normal? Im using CCC 9.8.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  14. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I've given up trying to fold with this card, I'm still getting errors. Until a new client and drivers are released with better support I don't think I'll bother as only one out of about every 10 work packets completes successfully.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not sure who's is normal....or if the "estimates" are even close to accurate...

16. Romiz

Romiz Guest

Quote from folding site:

I'm having problems with Vista, any ideas?

We have seen reports that the GPU client only works well in Vista when running in "XP Compatibility Mode" or to "run as Admin." We suggest trying this out if you are having problems with the ATI client in Vista. We are investigating work arounds.

Also it is noted the way ATI works they drop 50% of each cycle due to double precision. ATI uses double precision vs Nvidia's single, current. Also reading the new NVidia Fermi will be using double precision. If that is only option like ATI it may see the same issue. But till them cards get out that is only speculation. This could be reason it has so many additional shaders.

To compare
    280 GTX
    240 shader cores

vs

Fermi (from specs released by Nvidia)
    512 shader cores

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2009
  17. Zebatshu

Zebatshu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    I have noticed my core on the HD4850 is not getting very hot, when i play games it pumps out alot more heat than when im folding. This just gives me the idea the card isn't being really used to its full potential.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Actually, F@H-GPU was originally designed for the HD2000 series and updated for HD3000 and HD4000 (for compatibility). F@H-GPU still follows the shader count used in the HD3000 series.

Mine, with stock cooler, rarely got above 85C...but would reach 105C running WoW. F@H, at current, isn't designed to use all available shaders on HD4000 or HD5000 series cards.

F@H uses CUDA for nVidia GPU's, so they're likely to see less of a performance impact than ATI users get. If F@H were to use AMD Stream for the HD4000 and HD5000 series, I'm sure they'd see a performance improvement as AMD Stream was designed for RV6xx, RV7xx and RV8xx....so it should be able to use the proper shader count.

19. Zebatshu

Zebatshu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    One can only hope that client 6.24 will change all that.

20. Zebatshu

Zebatshu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    Sigh im getting alot of BSOD when i fold on my gpu in win7, using driver 9.11 beta but this has also happened in 9.9 and 9.10. Ill just fold on my cpu for now, cant really debug the issue now.