Why People choose ATI?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Datagg3, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Zebatshu

Zebatshu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    2 4850's was the best bang for my money when i upgraded. And i was fed up for all the problems my 8800gt gave me, i couldn't use the card for 3 months due to faulty drivers :bang: .

2. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    never had issues with either one .

radeon 8xxx series and higher have been great . even the 2900xt is better than the credit it was given .

nvidia is just,.. nvidia.

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    My first card was an ati one then I had many years of nvidia when I was prepared to pay extra for a bit more performance.

Perhaps I am fussy but wanted great perf @1920x1200 which the 295 almost did but didnt seem to run some games I love really well. Namely empire total war. Plus it was 2 hot and noisy. Then the 285 didnt quite have the perf I wanted although it was an excellent card.

The 5870 runs all the games I like with the performance I have been after for some time. It's like a 295 but without the noise and heat.

Physx for me isnt a purchase clincher for me either. Also i didnt like nvidia's attitute regards this. Plus also there bs regards the fake fermi and the gimmicky 3d glasses. No offence to anyone who has them btw :)

I know ati isnt innocent of marketing crap but I get the impression they are the lesser of two evils atm.

As others said I wont rule out another nvidia card but it's going to need to offer more performance at an acceptable cost.

Am glad there are two companies it's a shame though about all the crap that sometimes comes with it and peoples attitutudes/conceptions which they use to flame in this forum. Seems this blind loyalty to either company still exists or it's people with agendas.

4. Frenchlick

Frenchlick Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 /32"LCD
    I just buy what ever is best to bench with at the time have no brand preference at all, A plus with always going the top end card for mainly benching also means pretty much any games plays at great fps with little hassle.

5. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    sounds great to me!!! :)

6. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    for me it was simple, a 4890 could deliver GTX 285 performance with a nice overclock but it was 60% of the price of a 285 at the time, so it was an easy choice

7. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I agree with this! I'm with both sides as well. Best thing is to love all the hardware. Gives you the best of both worlds. The same applies for CPU's and consoles. There's absolutely no gain in fighting over which is best.
    That's childish at best.

Btw, what color do you get when mixing green with red?

I agree. ATi is also the preferred choice for HTPC builds. ATi delivers many more options, like image scaling and resizing.

An example with my 2nd HTPC. At first i wanted to put in a GF7950GT 512MB (still an awesome card and i love Leadtek) which i still had lying around, but i had problems resizing the screen. I used a custom resolution of 1024x576, because it was hooked on a 32" CRT. The screen was not full screen and i was unable to resize it.

I've bought an HD4350 for it afterwards and now i'm enjoying a great full screen picture.

I only hope Nvidia clears that up in future drivers. Working image resizing would be sweet and i would love to use that 7950GT in it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I'm not loyal to any brand, I simply go for whichever happens to offer the biggest bang for the buck.
    So far I've had 3 Nvidia cards, 2 ATI.

9. Crugath

Crugath Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    I've just gone for the best card I could afford at the time, which happens to be ATi at the moment.

I started with a Voodoo 2 12MB, then a GeForce 2 MX400, GeForce 4 Ti200, ATi Radeon 9800pro, ATi Radeon X850 XT PE, ATi Radeon X1950 pro and now my ATi Radeon 4850.

When I come to buying a new card, it all depends on what the best card is that I can afford at the time. I have been very very happy with the ATi cards I have had in the past, and possibly will find myself swinging towards them.

My favourite card was probably the GeForce 4 Ti200 as that came free with No One Lives Forever, which is one of my favourite games, so I'm glad to have discovered that when getting that card.

10. grimeleven

grimeleven Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870X2 2GB
    I got my 4870X2 because it was huge upgrade from my previous Nvidia 8800GTX which was also a (x2) increase from my modded ATI x850GTO.

Again when i upgrade i only choose what is the most powerful, the price? well i bought em on 1st week release but then the investment is "1 year" term :D

Next upgrade will need min x2 increase too and a card with 90mm fans (custom) :D

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070

you seem to have the same upgrade plan as me hehe , also coming from a x850> 8800gtx sli system :)

12. 3T3RN4L

3T3RN4L Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870 1035/5320mhz
    i buy what gives me the most out of my money. i switch back and forth from nvidia to ati. i usually like ati cause there always trying to push newer tech for the consumer and gaming.

right now tho i choose ati cause of amzing performance for price. during the 4800 series and 4870 i bought for 289(where i worked so i got discount) felt like i spend 600 bucks cause the card was so amzing at the time and still is.

then the new 5800 series and the 5870 i got for 379.i feel the same way.felt like i spend a lot of money but i didn't.

i felt the same way when the 8800gt came out at the time,then nvidia had a great line-up,but now i'm with ati once again.

believe it or not but the 5870 i have now is my first ever high-end gpu i ever bought,just cause it was so afforable at the time for me. i didn't have to spend 500-600 bucks for an excelent performer and never felt happier

13. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    So true, the part i hated most about the high-end consumers graphics cards that's been for the last 8 years is that at launch you can expect a pricing label of over 400 bucks easily, and toward 600 for the flagship product. Thus making the mainstream products also quite expensive.

ATI under AMD flag has been become more competitive and bang for bucks than they used to be. As that's AMD has been about, bang for bucks competitive products.
    This is exactly why i have chosen for ATI again after so many years. They finally has offers that's truly performance competitive and with more aggressive pricing. Tho i knew ATI has issues with drivers, but luckily i haven't experience them sofar(yet). And ATI finally paying attention to Linux drivers (hw support in drivers when released without waiting for 2 years delay) was also a good sign that things were changing now they are under the AMD flag.

14. Calef

Calef Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    I used Radeon 9700 because it was the best product back then.
    I used Geforce 6800 because it was the best product back then.
    I used Geforce 8800 because it was the best product back then.
    I use HD5850 now because it is the best product now (besides HD5870 which I unfortunately can't afford atm :p)

For me the only factor to chose a product is the product itself. Imho everyone who buys a product without comparing it to alternatives because he simply likes the brand hurts himself.

15. Funky Doodle

Funky Doodle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte ATI HD 5830 1GB
    price/performance of course

16. Camster

Camster Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4890 OC
    I replaced my 8800 GT with a 4890 about 3 months ago. For me it was I wanted something better at a good price which the 4890 provided. Size was also a factor as a 10.5" 260 wasn't going to fit in my case without removing my HD cage. The 4890 fit perfectly with no modding required. I was also a little curious to try ATI again as I had not used their cards since the 9700/9800 Pro's I had before.

My son's rig still has a 8800 GT in it. Overall I'm satisfied with the card.

17. zigihammer

zigihammer Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060
    price / performance
    red color is cool ;]

Every new card from ATi is NEW, not renamed old one.

18. BlueDragon

BlueDragon Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870
    I think both NVIDIA and ATI are great and I started with a ATI 9800pro which was good then Nvidia 6800GT really good card add that for years then ATI 3870 which was good card but for me add driver problems crashing all the time then NVIDIA was going on about physx so I brought a 9800GX2 good card again but could fry an egg on it and could not really do physx so I got 2xGTX260 216 really happy with these cards never a crash or driver problem and every game worked like a dream.

Now I have a ATI 5870 which is a really great card besides a little problem I have with the graphic driver conflicting with my raid driver on boot happens once in a blue moon really strange.

So I mainly i go with who as the best performance and features like now 5870 for DX11 but to me personally I think nvidia as better games compatibility because of the “THE WAY IT’S MEANT TO BE PLAYED” program they got but really hate physx a really bad power hog but ATI as better pricing god knows how much the new NVIDIA GT300 series will cost.

19. retiredat44

retiredat44 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080-ti
    Back 10 years ago, the TNT2 video cards freaked me out with weird colors... since then I have been using ATI. But, this next go-round, I might go back.... maybe..

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ^ +1 This