Nvidia's recent bad reputations

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jamsbong, Nov 9, 2009.

1. jamsbong

jamsbong Member

GPU:
    EVGA GF560Ti 1Gb
    Hi all,

I'm kinda surprised by some of the publicity that Nvidia has decided to pull. Goes to show how naughty this company can be.

When DX11 card was about to launch, NV says DX11 is not relevant. Yet, ATI cards are selling incredibly well now, and AMD has gained market share.

Then they decided to ban ATI+Nvidia hybrid combo users from using Physx and comes out with some lame excuse. I think even NV users hate this move. Moreover, the Nvidia Lucid gate is simply ridigulous. Such acts simply ruins the thriving world of computing for the sake of greed and monopoly. This reminds me of Microsoft. I much prefer new technology being encouraged to be developed rather than being killed because a giant company is afraid of new technology.

After that, they announced their Fermi with a confirmed fake card. Geez... I would be embarrassed if I was in Nvidia's position now.

Now, out of Grudge, they decided to make fun of Intel with political comics. Come on, I do not think that is funny at all.

Why spend all these money on bad press? just save it and make the Fermi! I may have been using ATI for a long time but I would certainly prefer some competition to ensure a reasonable price. I have NO DOUBT that Fermi will beat Evergreen because history has always shown that the GPU that launches later are always the more powerful ones.

Physx is one cool thing from Ageia (NOT from Nvidia) and I would prefer if Nvidia stays loyal to a few of the Ageia customers. I mean if you don't want to support Ageia cards anymore, why not give a rebate to those users and promote them to upgrade their cards to a Nvidia card? That way, you'll get a good press, it won't cost you much on the rebate and you'll save effort on improving drivers.

As for the ATI + Physx combo. Don't bann those users. You simply don't have to put priority supporting this combination and it will be enough and that will not cost you much nor will the repulatation hurt as much as it is now.

In the case of the Nvidia Lucid gate. I guess Lucid must have found a jewel. Or they are being over protective of their marketplace.

What do you guys think? Should I ever buy Nvidia products and help feed this monster that aims to destroy new technology like Lucid?

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I agree 100%, no doubt, but this is really just gonna created a flame thread, I think. I don't know how in the hell someone can support what they're doing....Some will probably say they assist developers more (Which they do) But that really doesn't make up for their lack of professionalism....But it's probably just gonna turn bad in here.

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I've been seeing quite a few arguments pushing the ethical angle for or against a hardware maker, whether Nvidia or AMD or Intel or whomever. Bad PR, monopolist practices, deceptive renaming, fake models, etc, etc.

If it makes you feel better about your ATI purchase, avoid Nvidia altogether, they're dirty rotten scoundrels. I would ditch that Intel chip you've got as well, Intel are even worse than Nvidia on the fair competition front. They muscle OEM makers away from AMD and partake in similar deceptive practices as Nvidia as well as having monopolistic tendencies that aim to reduce the market share of their rival.

4. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    ATI= Water Nvidia=Oil. They don't go together, and one costs too da** much ^_^ but enough about that. This may be true, but I see flames a comin'.

5. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    The part that makes me LOL (really loudly), is the modded driver that does allow Physix w/ ATI cards...the ATI cards scored higher in every game tested.

...no wonder it's not allowed!

;)

(rofl)

6. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    i think nvidia has been acting questionable in it's marketing strategies as of late.
    I have no loyalties to one card or the other, i simply buy what i deem to be the fastest setup on the market. right now i believe that would be tri-sli 2gb 285's.

Since one of my 280's died i've had to stop myself from purchasing this setup with all the new card releases.

but please get over this physx thing with ati and nvidia.

Ati already made a public statement that they had no intention of developing AA for batman and that they would be sinking funds into DX11 games.

therefore nvidia developed AA for the unreal engine, since the unreal engine does not support AA out the box. Seems fair to me that nvidia would want to protect their investment, if you want to be mad at a company for this, be mad at Ati for basically saying, if you don't own our new DX11 stuff we don't care because we are pouring our funds into that.

who cares if nvidia are poking fun at intel ? intel has been doing everything in it's power, even attempting to sue nvidia for developing platforms like the ion, simply because intel own x86 and they want all of your money.

all these companies are greedy they all want to make sure that the money you and i spend is going into their products, if you really think ati cares more about you than nvidia or vice versa then you are being foolish, they care about figures cos that is all you are to them.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  7. em_dinesh

em_dinesh Member Guru

GPU:
    GBE 460 SOC
    I agree with you all but everyone knows what happened to microsoft with Vista OS they wanted a better experiance to the users without concerning the cos ultimately they end up with dissappointment i think everybody have learned something from this when investing huge money that's the reason why the nvidia not trying anything about the dx11 even though the ATI did. I don't see and expect a big change between dx10 and dx11 however I'd say dx11 going to make dx10 dissapear (only the name) but dx11 gonna have very good legacy support for dx10

8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    It's Nvidia's technology and they can do whatever they want to do with it.

It has some major technical changes and they did not want to give that info to ATI. That's what they said.

Because you don't think it's funny doesn't mean that some people would not find those funny.

Because TSMC can't deliver Nvidia stuff they need. ATI has same problems, but not as huge. Nvidia needs more wafers than ever in Q1 2010.

9. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    Wrong section? .. put this in the nvidia section of the forum.. this is a hardware section.. not a complain about corporation section.

10. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    nvidia ftw

you pay for quality

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Yes why not ? imho you should never narrow down your choices and become biased.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Unless Nvidia has a child sex ring, i don't care what they do, or ATI or Intel or MS.
    Both sides are being very unprofessional these days.

You should buy hardware based on how well that hardware will work for you, not on company reputations.

The reason i cancelled my order for the 5850 was because of NFS Shift and Borderlands.
    ATI take too long optimising drivers for new big games, and since i buy games on launch day, i didn't want to take the chance of having to wait a few weeks or even longer for drivers to come out so i would get the same performance as an older Nvidia card.

13. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    True, again the paying the developers part again i think. they are one step behind because of that.
    still i know your @ 60hz / fps most of the time, so its not a problem i think.

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, but to get a stable Vsync'd 60fps with 4-8xAA 16xAF and everything maxed at 1920x1080 isn't that easy on newer games on the 5850, plus i have more Xmas presents to buy this year :(

15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    ah right, supposed you cant get away with giving your girlfriend a nice and shiny 5850 can you ? :D

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nope, or her many brothers and sisters, should of picked a homeless skank :3eyes:

My stories of DX11, tesselation and uncompressed lossless audio left her unimpressed as well.

Saying that, i hope with their support DX11, ATI have DX11 games optimised on day1, for someone like myself who rarely plays MP, and finishes the SP of most games in less than a week, waiting for new drivers isn't an option, but neither is paying £500 for a Nvidia card with my current outgoings, so im definetly split.

17. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I don't think that any big company can be totally clean. That said, nVidia has been repeatedly shooting itself in the foot with its anti-competitive practices. As I suggested in the Batman AA debacle thread, optimizing your products is one thing; crippling the competitor's products performance is another.

18. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    No one is saying they should be forced to do something, of course they can do what they wish with their technology. Customers are worried about what is the right way to treat the customer. Disabling a feature of a video card as punishment because the customer bought another brand video card is wrong, and probably illegal.

That sentiment should only be used when it comes to Nvidia being forced to do something (by the government specifically) then I agree, it is nvidia's technology to do with what they will. However, your response implies that customers should never complain to a company simply because the company owns the technology, and that is flawed logic.

The only reason it's such a small issue is because there are, what, 10 total GPU physx games?

19. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    It wasn't punishment, it was we designed a technology and ATI said screw it we are to lazy to dip in, we will just ride Nvidias coat tails.

As far as i can see from a business and personal perspective it is ATI that acted like a bunch of a*holes. ATI have publicly admitted that they did not want to spend money on the development of DX10 games, they wanted to spend the funds on DX11.

So while nvidia cared about it's customer base and made the effort to implement a feature and spent time and money on that as well as trying to spend time and money on DX11. ATI basically said, "screw you DX10 customer base we have to focus and spend all our money on DX11 to get ahead of nvidia".

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...-nvidia-vs-eidos-fight-analyzed.aspx?pageid=0

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Wow, no flaming yet....

Yes, nVidia has done some shady things over the last few years. The G84/G86 "fiasco", where they denied knowing about the problems, then admitted to knowing 2 months later. Renaming the 8800GT to 9800GT and calling it a "new" card.... The fake Fermi card... At least nVidia isn't paying OEM's to ignore ATI and use nothing but nVidia cards. Intel lost the "performance crown" to AMD when the Athlon was first launched...and paid several reviews to claim otherwise. Intel also started paying OEM's to delay the launch of AMD based products, or cancel them altogether. Funny how the little was reported about the P3 recalls.... Seems most people simply ignored the P2/P3 performance issues as well as the P3 recalls... AMD makes a simple error and it's the biggest news to hit the press...but Intel starts paying for reviews and recalling processors due to CPUID errors and nobody cares to report or even remember it. But, nVidia, AMD or ATI make a mistake and it's the biggest disaster in history. If Intel's Larrabee launch is successful....how is the world going to react? Is everyone just going to blow it off like nVidia's G84/G86 incident last year....or will everyone stand up and take notice that Intel is taking on the entire industry? nVidia has made mistakes over the last several years....both in marketing and PR, but no company is clean in either regard. nVidia, in my opinion, has done something very respectable in the recent months. The G210 and GT220 consume almost no power at all compared to competing products...their ION platform is the most energy efficient platform on the market...and they're going after GPGPU functionality like it's the end of the world (with most of the emphasis on medical research). If nVidia can hold up these 3 ideas....I think that more than makes up for the bad PR decisions as of late. Hard to make a GPU that draws as little power as the G210 and GT220 do...even in the entry-level segment.