Nvlddmkm Errors after installing 191.07

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by KLaW, Oct 30, 2009.

1. KLaW

KLaW Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC2
    i have a new BFG GTX 285 OC2 and i formatted my pc and first thing i had put was the latest driver 191.07 (this is about 4-5 days ago) . Its been a hell through and through after that with constant nvlddmkm errors (black screen for 10-15 seconds and returning back to normal) happening every minute while playing games like Cod4 and Cod5 . i uninstalled those ****ty drivers and tried every driver from 185.85 to 195.39 but i always have got nvlddmkm in each and every driver with no solution in sight .

i formatted again and put 185.85 to my disbelief the card got nvlddmkm error even after formatting . i really have no idea what to do and frustated by the nvlddmkm error i have put back my old backup card 7900 GTX which didnt give me any nvlddmkm error whatsoever .

btw i'd also like to add the last time i got nvlddmkm was around 3 years ago when my 7900 GT was getting nvlddmkm errors , also the card produced dots/lines on screen which of course meant the card was finished . my 7900 GTX was the replacement card of the 7900 GT back then .

Are the 191.07 drivers responsible for damaging the card or the Card itself was crap from the 1st day and needs to get RMA'ed since it doesnt work stable at all with any driver whatsoever . Anyone facing problems similar to me and any solutions to this mess ?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Hey, I make mistakes. My bad. :D

No, really. Aside from the possibility of you getting a bunk card, it happens, I'd try reseating the card, RAM, and check all connectors. Also what make is your PSU and what is/are the ampacity of the 12v rail/s?

3. KLaW

KLaW Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC2
    PSU is fine since i used to run GTX 280 OC2 before which consumed more power than GTX 285 , Ram seems fine , Connectors are also fine and i took out card a couple of times and fitted again but it still happened . Also 7900 GTX works absolutely fine in my system so it seems it points out to a defective card unless 191.07 has messed up something , But 191.07 works fine with 7900 GTX .

4. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Well, then I hate to say, but perhaps you got a bunk card. Any possibility of being able to exchange it where you bought it, if you bought it at a retailer? If not, then I'd hit up BFG, they have a decent track record of making things right.

Edit: 191.07 has been a pretty decent driver. Some folks have had troubles but from what I have seen not to the extent of what you were experiencing. It stinks of a bad card.

5. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Klaw, dump 191.07 and migrate over to 195.39, you might be lucky and have it work perfectly for you, like Valagard who had really bad luck with the 191 drivers.

6. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    He did.

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I haven't seen a Nvlddmkm crash for years either but when I did an in-place upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium, I had one with the v191.07 WHQL drivers it carried over. In my case it happened when I inadvertently sent my PC into Sleep mode, which worked with Vista but doesn't with 7. After a few minutes of attempting to wake my PC up to no avail I got a BSOD with Stop error 0x116 and some mention of Nvlddmkm being the culprit.

However, my PC has been completely stable as far as games go and I've had no display driver crashes. There is a mention of status error 32 relating to the NVIDIA Display Service service though in the Event log. I'm not sure what exactly it relateds; I suspect it's just some incompatibility with Windows 7 as I don't recall ever seeing it under Vista.

8. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Then the TDR's are either a hardware fault or conflict.

9. GTstrudl

GTstrudl Member

GPU:
    GF 8800 GTS 640
    Klaw: If you are using Vista or W7, give your PC sufficient time to sort out index and a lot of other OS internal heavy HD activities. This procedure is very important particularly after major system changes (hint:new graphic driver). Then enjoy the games.

10. bolden

bolden Active Member

GPU:
    GTX260
    I had nvlddmkm errors with 191.07 but reverted back to 190.62 and has been running fine

11. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Hmmmm.....Good idea!

12. tehalirigsho

tehalirigsho Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 SC
    Similar to KLaW, i got the nvlddmkm error except with Crysis/Warhead.

This happened with every driver for me beyond 182.50 . . . until now.

Nvlddmkm has been removed completely on 195.39. Big ups Nvidia!

13. Claude350

Claude350 Active Member

GPU:
    PNY 1060 GTX SSC
    What driver were you using before going to the 191.07? Did you remove the old drivers of did you copy over them. If so this could be the problem. You may want to check that you've completely removed the old driver. Try using Driver Sweeper if you haven't done so. I had problems with the 191.07. I did a clean install after using Driver Sweeper and installed the 195.39 drivers. That got rid of the Nvlddmkm error. Let us know how thing go for you.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  14. KLaW

KLaW Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC2
    Thanks for the input guys , much appreciated . the Card is FUBAR for sure now cos i have checked with different ram's , PSU , formatted twice but nothing works at all . i am now RMA'ing the card and hoping the new card turns out to be fine .

15. Claude350

Claude350 Active Member

GPU:
    PNY 1060 GTX SSC
    Before dismissing your card did you try the 195.39 drivers to see if the same thing happened? It won't hurt to try. Go the easy route first.

16. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Before dismissing the card, did you even read the very first post?
    Bummer I've had to repost this same quote from the OP twice.... " i uninstalled those ****ty drivers and tried every driver from 185.85 to 195.39 but i always have got nvlddmkm in each and every driver with no solution in sight ."

So that makes 3 times this exact same sentence has been posted. Does anyone read though the threads anymore or just respond to the last post in any thread?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009