Another one of those "Is this a decent start for my watercooling loop" threads :P

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by DannyBoy27, Nov 2, 2009.

1. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Or.... how about not locking my thread dude. Wow. :3eyes:
    Can we stop throwing personal slurs around like kids? Unsubstantiated arguments over the internet is like spitting into the wind.

Im trying to gleam years of experience here from some of the guru3d water cooling pros - in one tiny thread . This is why these forums are so helpful. :)

Thanks for all this pointers so far.

I did originally look at the herbies but was concerned that they might just become brittle with ages and possibly cause a leak.

Im taking some of these comments on board and they are quite helpful. Im going to incorporate my gtx 295 into the loop as when OC'd its fan sounds like a hoover. Ill get a custom block for that, should be well worth it now that i think about it as the 295 pushes out loads of heat.

I'll stick to the 1/2" tubing and fittings for my first build, heating the ends of thinner tubing to get it on sounds awesome but i forsee lots of effort getting them off intact.

Also, seems like distilled water and antifreeze is a better alternative to some of the marketed products. Ill look into the silver and anti algea stuff too.

@PhatKat - when you say remember to get fittings does that mean i need some other items too?

thanks again.

2. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Running into just over £300. May as well get a good setup to do the cooling, or its probably not worth the effort and risk of changing from air.

Im excited for this build :) Should be a fun little project.

3. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

It's gonna vary, but:

Laing pump~$60

3x120 rad~$100

3x120 fans~$50

Reservoir(optional)~$30

Tygon 3603~$2/ft.

Waterblocks~$25 and up

There will be misc. hardware, and other things you may want, and bear in mind my estimates are just that, estimates. You may find a kill deal somewhere.

4. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

I think that was MM10X, but I think he meant to get good quality(like Danger Den) fittings(barbs), or there can be issues, like leaks due to off-sized fittings.

Don't worry about the herbies gettin brittle, I have some in my PC that have been there for 2 years, and have been used and reused. They are very durable. To disengage them, I use needlenosed pliers to pry the single leg out of the clamp. Be careful with that, you can twist too hard and break a fitting or block.

5. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Mos def. If you are gonna do it, do it right. Don't buy cheap sh1t(Tt), and don't buy gimmicks(colorant or other little doodads).

When you add you 295, you may well wanna put it in its own loop, if it sheds heat like everyone says, it may handicap your setup. My 8800 GTS is in the loop with my CPU, but it doesn't seem to add too much. You could try it in one loop, since you are gonna use a 3x120 radiator, and that may be okay, but be prepared to switch it up.

6. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    yep, just get good stuff that wont leak. its worth the extra few dollars.

mine cost around $400 USD.

7. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
  8. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
  9. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    i have one like that for my DDC, they are quite nice having a res built into the pump.

10. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Sold! I'll take one...

11. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    So have you bought anything, keep us posted!

12. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Ive ordered the parts but as a few of them were out of stock im just waiting for them all to arrive.

I have also added the EK 295 GTX water block into my build ( for an extra £100!! ) seeing as im going with the Dual bay Typhoon Reservoir .
    http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1272{1}33

Question :
    For the Typhoon III D5 Reservoir System, is it worth buying some steel barbs as apposed to the plastic ones that come with it. I vaguely remember someone mentioning this somewhere, but not sure if its appropriate.
    http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1544

Also - is 3 metres of Tygon going to be enough, considering im running 2 loops ( 1 to CPU and 1 to GPU )?

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  13. itsb1again

itsb1again Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 285 @ 702
    Yeah, why would you not buy the clamps? wtf @ 7/16 instead of 1/2.

Personally, to save some time and frustration and to do it RIGHT. get 1/2" tubing and all your clamps and crap.

I still can't even fathom not using clamps. :3eyes:

14. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    For 2 loops, get like 12ft., you'll have extra, but that's a good thing, you might cut a piece wrong or somethin.

Also, with 2 loops you need 2 radiators, keep in mind.

15. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Yep. 1/2" will flow more, too.

16. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    ^this. the tygon tubing is very flexable and easy to work with btw, i have it in my loop.

just be careful with tightening down the pump onto the res, you really do not want to ruin the threads, and the acrylic is easy to break.

make sure its snug and wont come loose, but not so tight that its putting stress on the threads.
    just make sure the o-ring and everything is in place correctly, and you should have no problems.

and yes, metal fittings are probably going to be better and easier to work with. at least from what i've done, they are quite nice.

17. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

I have both steel and plastic fittings, and both do a great job, but I have noticed the tubing seems to seize onto the plastic fittings moreso than the steel ones, making removal more difficult. Maybe it has something to do with them being similar materials.

Also, in a freak accident(maybe you drop your radiator while it's attached), the steel won't break, but the plastic may.

18. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Ok, acknowledged. Ill get a few. steel G1/4 to 1/2 ID fittings then. And ill get another metre of tubing to make 4m in total.

Christ - this is gonna run into at least £500 if i add another rad - i could start a new i7 build or get another high end wc'd case or even another 295 with that amount of cash.
    If i look at what im gonna be getting out if it :
    1 - quieter PC ( hopefully )
    2 - much cooler PC and components
    3 - ability to mad overclock my gpu and cpu.
    4 - another PC project to keep me occupied cause im a massive nerd...

Is it going to be worth the effort??? From those of you who laid down lots of £££ and put in all the effort?

You mentioned im gonna need another rad if i have to loops - which seems pretty obvious but i overlooked. Im assuming i need at least another 360 rad to cool the 295gtx - just not sure where the hell im gonna fit it in the 182p! !!

Any ideas...

19. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    Don't forget, your watercooling parts will be viable for longer than the rest of your PC, their tech doesn't change as fast. I'm using the cpu block and pump from my Corsair external system I bought 2 years ago, on 3/8" tubing. I just scavenged while I upgraded from it, and these last two parts are still viable. With my next big upgrade, that all will change I bet, but for now, and for a while longer, they will do, and do well.

20. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

You don't have to run 2 loops at first, you can plug the 2 extra ports until you're ready. If you do 2 loops at first, you can do 2 2x120, or to better prepare for upgrade, 1 3x120 and 1 2x120. If you do 1 loop first, with cpu and gpu, I'd say do a 4x120, then you can separate them later and add the radiator you need. Just do a few mock-ups on paper, get a feel for what you need to buy, and go from there. Keep asking questions, we'll keep answering them!