Fermi, GT300 to launch in late November

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by YuKsS, Oct 7, 2009.

1. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    u can see the 4 way xfire on bodars thread u will also see it is not an improvement over 3 way xfire right now either cause of driver or bottleneck issues.

2. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I can't find any info on when Nvidia will make an announcement regarding fermi, considering it's supposed to have a 'paper launch' in a month from now, we should have gotten the info already. I don't think we'll be seeing the cards till January...which would really suck, I just need an announcement of clocks, some benchmarks, anything.

3. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    I wish we would here something also... Man Nvidia seriously dropped the ball on this one. All the people who skipped Vista for 7 are going crazy buying new hardware in the form of the 5800 series cards for there new rigs..... Hell you cant find a 5870 anywhere.... Yeap Nvidia screwed this one up royally IMO.

It seems to me that ATI's strategy is to sell every 58XX card they can so that when the GT300 chips go on sale only the fanboys and procrastinators will care to buy them. Rational people (Except us Gurus) don't spend $400 on a card only to upgrade it 3 months later.

For me, it looks like the 5870x2 will be out way before we hear anything from Nvidia.... So on that note with me, they lost... Im no fan boy, i would go with who gets what out faster and at this point ATI is delivering. Shame on you Nvidia... For shame!!! I hope they get some word out soon... i wouldnt mind for a second going back to the green team....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  4. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800

I hear you, i held off from getting a gtx295 because in knew the gt300 was on the way, but it has gone on and on and on, i need to upgrade sometime, i can't sit around waiting for nvidia, but after seeing what dx11 can do i'm gonna wait to see what both sides have to offer.

Check this video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkKtY2G3FbU

look at what happens to the brick textures at 0:06, dx11 is going to be amazing, until i saw this benchmark tool i though dx11 was going to be meh. I will likely get the 5870x2 if nvidia is slower to come out with gt300

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009

5. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Nice vid..... me to, if i don't hear something soon ATI is the clear choice. Why they let ATI seize this historic time is insane.... Windows 7 = DX 11 = Vista skippers = Now with 7 = Must get new rig to shine = EPIC FAIL FOR NIVIDIA

6. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Yeah, it sucks for them and it sucks for gamers, if nvidia had cards out now also they might price more competitively. They tempt us though, they put out benchmarks so we rush to get the new cards ( which only really benefit <5 games if you already have a good card), and then when your feeling content....that slap you in the face with a die shrink model and issue a public statement, "to all the early adopters, we would like to thank you for your custom, but would also like to say: IN YOUR FACE SUCKAZ!"

7. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    ^^^lol true that

8. Atel

Atel Member

GPU:
    PowercolorHD4870x2 2048MB
    Bodar's extensive benchmarking showed that the 5870 scaled very well up to trifire for most titles he tested, but the 4th card was a waste of space. There were still some loose factors though and he burnt some hardware trying to prove whether or not the CPU was bottlenecking that amount of GPU might.

The thread is in the ATI section - worth a read, especially when he starts experimenting with DIce. :)

I bought only nvidia ever since the TNT, until this latest base unit. I just thought I'd see what ATI had to offer. Have to say, I've been very impressed with the 4870x2, especially since the 9.1 drivers last January.

I don't think I'll be jumping to get a 5870 though since the 4870x2 is still powering just about every title I've opted to play up to now at 1920x1200 at very smooth frame rates. I'm dying to see nvidia's response to to the 5870, but until I find myself forced down below 1650 without AA, or unless the world's greatest game ever is released with exclusive DX11 requirements, doesn't seem to be a huge reason to switch.

9. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    afgdfgsdgsdgdfg hgfxhd

10. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    That's very sensible, if the nvidia response to 5870 is less than impressive then i'll wait it out too. After all, it wasn't that long ago that i was struggling to play games at their highest settings without aa, i should consider myself lucky, even the next gen of console's will have nothing on current pc tech.

11. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    well that is the oldest argument in the books of consoles vs PC, that consoles are dated the day they release by 1-2yr old PC hardware.

I'll go ahead and skip the console fanboi and say that yes consoles are cheaper and easier to game on (as in problems running a game on PC vs console titles).

12. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    well mostly when console is released it uses the current technology available so. i wouldnt say that. if a new console was released today it would prolly use a gt200 chip for sony and a 4870 or who knows 5850 chip for microsoft. and a 3dfxvoodoo for wii lol

13. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    um no, consoles are in development for so long that by the time they release the hardware it is at the very least 1yr old PC hardware, most likely 2 yrs old.

14. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I expect the next console's will use gpu's similar to the 4870's, the are cheap as hell and they'll wanna push 1080p standard

15. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    notice both chips mentioned are over one year old. plus just my opinion here, at this point in consoles specially for sony theywouldnt have to rethink everything just fit the same hardware they have now with 1gb ram instead of 512mb and a new gpu say a gt200 and that would be a next gen console.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009

16. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    no gpu of console is yet dx 10 capable. but we cant say nything about the next console because it will use a modified version of either ati or nvidia's best card. i mean the console wont contain the best card at the time of release, but it will contain the best card when microsoft or sony will start their development. like xbox has a modified version of x1k series card.............

17. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    the 360's GPU was based off of ATI's that wasnt release till like a year and a half after the 360

18. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    ^^ i think you are right, as i remember selling my 360 when i got my x1900xtx.

19. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    they don't have full fledged video cards in the consoles though, they are slimmed down to meet the needs of small size/reliability/low temps/power consumption/etc. So saying the 360 had a X1k ATI is not true, it may have had the same GPU, but not the same video card. For example Bus Width & VRAM at the very least are modified, along with the clock speeds and probably voltages. I mean look at the internals of a 360 and show me the X1K ATI card in this picture:

[​IMG]

Hell the entire PCB of the 360 looks simpler than a single video card in a PC; it only has 4 VRAM chips for example...

Lets also not forget how unreliable the 360's are (ring of death for starters), the Wii is 9x more reliable (and fun IMO).

[​IMG]

http://www.dailytech.com/Study+Finds+Wii+9+Times+More+Reliable+than+Xbox+360/article16159.htm

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  20. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    i didn't say that they use the same gpu. i said a modified version is used. and at the time xbox 360 was released lower manufacturing process was all ready in the hand of ati so they just put some parts of the pcb in the chip. and made it a lower voltage part along with other changes like low cost............