Have you checked RAM prices recently?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ShadowMyth, Oct 24, 2009.

1. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Has anyone checked memory prices recently? DDR2 has doubled. Back On July 31st I purchased 2 x 2048MB DDR2 800MHz & paid $46.99 total, including shipping. Now I see the same RAM for $87.99 + shipping costs. It now cost more than DDR3 which suddenly seems to be everywhere.. Is it because manufactures are moving to DD3? A shortage? Maybe because it's getting to close to shopping season.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. MLS

MLS Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD5850
    Obsolete RAM tends to slide slowly down then go way up. Pretty standard, look at first gen DDR prices.

3. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    This is why I'm switching to DDR3 1333. I have found one place that sells DDR2 1066 for a good price but DDR2 can be declared dead now because if any of your sticks break you're paying through the nose.

If you have a DDR2 system and don't want to upgrade I can understand why you'd want to stick with DDR2 memory but if you're buying new, like I am, then DDR3 is the only real option as it can be replaced in years to come.

Fortunately I have loads of DDR2 sticks in house and am not worried about this DDR2 motherboard of mine.

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    All ram here seems high the ram i have now cost like 7 or £8 more than it did 2 months ago.

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    there was something about production of DDR2 ramping down last april and they said that would cause the price to increase.

@kylzer hows that new rig treating ya?

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Hmm yeah good actually even plays warhead smooth @ high with 2xaa lol

not that i play it much anyways

plays everything else @ 1080p great i really think the DDR3 helps out allot with loading times in general in this rig.

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    not bad lol, yeah theres only a handful of decent new games, im holding out for Bad Company 2 after the Modern Warfare Debacle and its looking great, may even be able to replace my Battlefield 2 addiction.

DDR3 thought core 2's could only do DDR2?

Im looking at picking up a 5850 but its gonna wreck the use of the 8800gt in my rig for physix.

8. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Yeah, prices for DDR2 memory are almost as high as DDR3 prices, so IMO it's better to just get the DDR3...

9. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I have some 512k PC100 and PC133 I'll let go of for a dollar a kilobyte! :D

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It's actually true for all RAM. Back during the summer my old boss (used to work at a computer store) is telling me that RAM prices will spike in the coming months. I first thought that it'd only be DDR2, but he told me ALL, which included DDR3. Seems quite true as DDR3s got expensive as well (C$80 for G.Skill DDR3 2 x 2GB, now about C$90-100)

He cites global inflation and possible shortages.

deltatux

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    actually, the memory controller for the Core 2 series is not on the CPU, so, it can run any RAM.

deltatux

12. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Yeah as deltatux said its not on the cpu so its sorta handy if you want DDR3.

13. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I'd be totally hosed if it were different. :)