Help-Overclocking Q9550...not happening.

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Hav0q, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    My RAM runs at 5-5-5-18 CL2...ram 1:1? So if my FSB is running @ 1800Mhz...that's quite a jump from 800Mhz...I never ran 1:1 when I OC'd my e8500.

2. ibitato

ibitato Guest

what you mean by CL2 ?????

um, 18 ?? that's high

what did you change on the bios ???

what settings you have for RAM ???

what ram d y have ??

I suppose you're running the CPU FSB at 450 Mhz, right ???

If so, 1:1 on RAM it's 900Mhz that at 5-5-5-15 CL5 , 2.0v should be doable.

running 1:1 contributes to stability ; don't pay attention to those ppl that say it's for n00bs.

If you what to run your RAM 1:1 yo need to multiply FSB x 2 and set accordingly.

3. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    Ohhhh...I'm a noob overclocker...let me make some changes.

Default Memory timings is 5-5-5-18 2T according to Corsair. It's Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) 800Mhz.

Yeah, FSB is 450x8 @ 3.6Ghz.

So pushing the RAM from 1.8v to 2.0v and dropping the 18 -> 15?

In my BIOS when I run 1800 @ 1:1 it says RAM is 1800Mhz...when I boot it says the frequency is 1800Mhz instead of 800...I run it unlinked.

Yeah...FSB x 2 for RAM since it's DDR2, right?

4. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Don't worry.
    Manually set the timings to 5-5-5-18 2T, your stock clocks, you will only be running a bit faster the RAM to add stability at 1:1.

Yes, you multiply CPU FSB x2 to know the RAM speed would be at 1:1, so 450FSB means RAM will be running at 900. MANUALLY set this speed. Don't let the BIOS toy with this (it will if you vary FSB)

I don't know your RAM voltage specs, but find out. So after you set the timings manually and ram speed at 900, raise ram voltage a couple of notches over stock voltage, that should be enough for 900, since your stock ram it's 800.

5. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    Ok, So I manually upped the RAM speed from 800 -> 900Mhz and upped the voltage from 1.8v -> 2.0v. I'll set the timing to 5-5-5-18. Thanks, I'm going to run some tests on it...

6. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    I just can't get this thing stable! Ugh...starting to kinda miss the ease of OC'ing my e8500...I'm thinking it's the MOBO or RAM that just don't wanna cooperate.

7. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Can you post your compelte bios settings, asf or now ??

also, what tests did you run and for how long ???

stay frosty :)

BTW, if you find a sweet spot let's say at 3.5 or 3.4 full stable; trying 3.6 won't do much of a diff in real life.

What I mean it's if you want an OC for 24/7 stable; and play happy; 3.4/3.5/3.6 won't be much od a diff.......

If I remember well, you told me you're running 450FSB x 8 multi.

Q9550 has 8.5 multi.

try raising the multi to 8.5 on BIOS and lowering the FSB speed, to achieve the same 3.6 -> remember to set ram speed accordinly that now it's going to be slower.

420FBS x 8.5 multi it's going to be easier I think , since FSB speed can be a pain in the back for quads.

8. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    So..you're saying running @ a 8.5x multiplier should contribute to better stability rather than what I'm doing @ an 8x multiplier?

9. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    Ok, so I seem to got this thing stable @ 3.5ghz...only thing I'm wondering...my other computer has a 680i chipset, and the (Auto) sensed voltage for the NB is 1.35v and SB is 1.5v...right now I'm running my 780's NB @ 1.3v and SB @ 1.5v...it seems to lock up less frequently the more I add voltage to the NB...right now it's at 1.34v is that good enough or too low for this OC?

10. ibitato

ibitato Guest

higher multiplier, tus, lower FSB it's easier for quads , and also for not so good mobos

11. ibitato

ibitato Guest

leave SB alone, at auto.

1.35NB it's ok, if a little more helps, just push it a bit.

what's your PLL voltage ??

12. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    Ok...my PLL is @ 1.5v.

13. ibitato

ibitato Guest

did you raise multi to 8.5 ???

id' do that, so you get to 3.6 with lower FBS ......also raise PLL to 1.6 and see if it's stable, then you can try to lower it.

NB at 1.35 it's ok, but you can also push it a bit :)

14. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    Yea, multiplier is at 8.5, NB is at 1.34, because I can only choose 1.3, 1.32, 1.34, 1.36, etc. I'll try to up the PLL to 1.6 and see if 3.6 works. I wish I knew what the default PLL is supposed to be for a Q9550. I know for my e8500 I used 1.5, but not sure if it's the same for this q9550.

15. ibitato

ibitato Guest

choose 1.36 for NB, and raise PLL
    go for 3.6 at 8.5 multi and if you get lucky you can then try to lower stuff
    use 30min test , OCCT large packet (or something)
    := )

16. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    Ok, I got this to run stable @ 3.5Ghz with 1.275v on the Vcore, 1.84v on the RAM, and NB @ 1.30v. No LLC and PLL/VTT/SB all at stock voltages. Temps only hit 55c max on the cores, not bad.

I think I'll stick with this for a while. Thanks for all the help. :D

17. ibitato

ibitato Guest

those seem like excellent numbers, i think you've hit a sweet spot, stay there and enjoy :D

18. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    Im suprised no one here has asked for a CPUz screenie yet.... (this place has gone way down hill. wheres all the experienced overclockers gone??? this isnt how i rememberd it a year ago)

the 'new' batch of S-Spec Q9550 are more capable of reaching speeds in excess of 4Ghz+ then the last batches but yours cant. it could your bad luck that you picked up a 'duff' cpu (you cant win them all) then the other issue could be that your own hardware (minus the CPU) maybe holding the CPU back which is what I think is the case with the P5N board. if you got some cash to splash & want to get the best out of that CPU. a good board to go for that doesnt cost the world would be a Biostar I45 or TP45 & of course everyones favorite Asus P5Q Pro - very good high quality overlocking boards for a the price you pay

What cooling are you running? stock cooler or 3rd party??

post a pic up of a CPUz screenie so we know what we're dealin with.