GTX295 Won't start!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by PzSniper, Oct 17, 2009.

1. PzSniper

PzSniper Guest

Today I already wasted all afternoon trying to guess what's happening with my pc and my brand new GTX295. I bought it and many $$$ went out of my wallet, after that i was back home excited and bump... no start, just red light coz my brand new PSU is 800w BUT doen't have this damned 8-pin connector, only 6-pin. I went out again and i've found only Cooler Master Real Power m620 PSU equipped with two 6-pin connectors and finally one 8-pin. I mount it and ok, seems fine, green light now... BUT NO VIDEO!

I'm lost, i'm thinking to kick my pc case, damn...

Anyone can help me out?

MY rig is old:
    Athlon FX 4600 X2
    Motherboard M2V
    4 Gb RAM
    2 hdd
    1 SB X-fi

Soon will buy other parts for a brand new pc.

2. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    Before you kick it, can I like grab some awesomeware?

3. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    What type of GTX295 is it?

It will be either the Dual PCB version with HDMI, or the co-op version without.

If you are using the HDMI port on the back, it's wired into the second card. You'll need to use DVI in order to see a signal to your monitor, if that is the case.

ITs a good job you're planning an upgrade, that 4600 will severly bottleneck GTX295.

4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    You could try updating your motherboard BIOS, but PCIe 2.0 cards generally don't play nice with PCIe 1.0 slots on VIA chipsets.

5. PzSniper

PzSniper Guest

Is M2V PCIE 1.0?? Too bad.

GTX is this one: http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/54522_Palit_GeForce_GTX_295_1792MB_896bit.aspx

Palit GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896bit GDDR3 Dual Dual-Link DVI/ HDMI

I know need a massive CPU and Mobo upgrade but now i would like to have at least monitor showing up! I've spent 2 hrs reading forums and still no help for me...

Thanx guys for trying to help me out... i bought 2 PSU today and no one is goign to work...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
  7. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Morbias would seem to be correct then.

Since you have the single PCB version it looks like it may be an incompatibility between your VIA chipset, the PCI-e 1.0 slot and the PCI-e 2.0 card.

If you are getting the green light then the card is working correctly, so i wouldn't like to point to it being a faulty unit.

8. PzSniper

PzSniper Guest

I've desperately tried this:http://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick

so it worked, i've connected 2 PS 1 on 6-pin 450W and other 620W on 8-pin, well... you know what: SAME PROBLEM!!

Still green light and no post video from GTX295!

I'm hopeless...

9. PzSniper

PzSniper Guest

Morbis, i'm reading but previously i had 8800GTS 320mb and never had problems with M2V.

10. PzSniper

PzSniper Guest

I have same issues:

fumingorilla6

Level :

Tech Points : 0
    Posted:12/20/2007 2:00:00 PM # 19

Hi all, I have just found myself in the same position as a few others here with a M2V motherboard. I Just recieved my 8800gt. I installed it only to hear the same 1 Long 3 Short beeps as described by others, no video signal but the sound of vista booting. I had a thought that my 430w thermaltake PSU might strugle before i installed the card. So i quickly picked up a 650w Seventeam but same problem. So frustrated i pulled the HTPC out with a old 939 gigabite k8nxp-9 MB and the same thermaltake 430w PSU as before to find it boot first time. I also tried the latest M2V Bios with no change. Plz can anyone from Asus tech tell us if this issue can and will be fixed as i cant wait weeks for this issue to be resolved.

cheers

11. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Thats because the 8800GTS 320 and 640MB and the 8800GTX are PCI-e 1.1 compliant.

The G92 revisions (8800GT/GTS 512) are PCI-e 2.0 and suffer from that compatibility issue with the M2V

12. PzSniper

PzSniper Guest

Ok thank everyone, i have realized i'm f*ck now, spent over 500 bucks for nothing, i can't change mobo only but need money to get 1000W PSU, Core i7, and also the new mobo (can you suggest one good for GTX295?)

Very costly stuff needed... :(

13. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    May i ask why you want a 1000W PSU?

A major branded 700W PSU will handle a Core i7 system with a GTX295 just fine.

Can you not return the items you baught?

14. PzSniper

PzSniper Guest

Because i saw only the Cooler Master 1000W on their store shelf, other have less wattage.

Here they don't refund you money, you can just choose something else... that's annoying

Can you suggest me mobo and cpu?

15. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    If you're no longer wanting an i7 system then something along the lines of a P55 chipset would suit you fine.

i5's are coming down nicely in price so if i was going to build an intel system on less of a budget, i'd go for that and a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R.

If you want a budget gaming rig though i'd suggest going with AMD and getting a Phenom II rig though as gaming performance would be pretty much the same.

Cost wise if you're willing to spend that much money on an Intel system, you might as well just plump the cash for an i7 rig.

Entry level X58 boards (at least here in the UK) are the same price as P55 boards, so if personally, i was going to upgrade, i'd definately go for an i7 rig.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009

16. PzSniper

PzSniper Guest

17. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    The best board there is the R2E.. BUT.... You got too know what your doing with that board as it has a WHOLE load a S??T you ain't gonna understand if your not up there with how these tech systems work. I'd say go for the P6TD Deluxe with an intel i7-920 or 940. fairly simple to use and its 1 of Asus's latest Mobo's.

Can i make a suggestion without you being offended...

The next time you decide to buy components for your system, use the Internet and ask people for advise as this will save you a whole load a $$$'s. After all that's what the Internet is for. The problem with most (not all) retailers is they need your money and will sell you anything without asking, telling or sharing. If i were you let this be a lesson learnt and don't make the same mistake twice.!

18. PzSniper

PzSniper Guest

Thanx for you advice i think will go for a P6TD Deluxe but let me expalin something, i'm not annob, i'm 30yo and work with PC since 1996. I buile my own pc every 3yrs and know tech quite well, this accident happened because i didn't had time to read infos abt new GTX295 since my 1st choice was a simple GTX285. I knew since beginning my pc was old but i thought to hold it up until Xmas. In past i'm also been a editor for HW and SW on TomsHardware in my country. That's all, just a mistake, my fault of course.

19. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Noob or not one must always do there research before buying.. Its a mistake we all make when we dont research.