The guide to buying gaming headphones 101

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by momomo67890, Sep 19, 2009.

1. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    Tritton ax pros and turtle beachs lol both these headphones sound bad and work bad. and lol at the design of them @ 300$, maybe @ 150$ i would try them and return.

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    yea that a freaking rip off for 300, i would never buy 5.1 headphones that cost 300. I would rather buy a real pair of headphones. Then some ugly designer over price 5.1 headphones.

3. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    You lucky ones!! :) I can hardly order any of these here :( (cept some senn models) But good that somebody can and is willing to write info about it so that I can draw at least some sort of picture for what to look for. Thanks.

4. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I don"t know that you can really call these cans "Head Phones" per se, as they are more like desk tops that you wear on your head. High end gamers spend $300.00 and even more for good desk top speakers and equal amounts of money for other devices to ensure the absolute best for thier systems. It pays to buy the best.

5. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Money doesn't really come into it much, I spent £110 on my most recent headphones which I think are far better than my Sennheiser which cost £125 back in November 2008 (they are now £139 at the same place LOL :puke2:), just goes to show that the cost doesn't really mean much, its about finding quality equipment, and speakers are not the be all and end all of audio. :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  6. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    the thing is are 6 cheap pairs of SH OES better then 1 pair you love ?

7. IndianScout

IndianScout Banned

GPU:
    GTX580 SLI
    I've used the Turtle Beach in servers 8+ hours a day for years, I've had many of their different models..

While they may be a little tight at first they do loosen up, I've really enjoyed them I have 4 sets of different models..

as far as wiring the only time I had problems with them is when I hooked the cord with my foot and slung them across the room, the mic didn't work after that, but they replaced them with a phone call..

8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Your not buying the best when your buy 5.1 headphones, your paying for the drivers in them, there low quality drivers. no 5.1 headphone is worth 300. Your buying into marketing when you buy those headphones. There are over price for being 5.1 headphones,and no you cant call them desktop speakers or desktop on your head just because of the drivers as I have 5.1 speakers that are better at doing what they was made to do. These headphones have 6 small drivers,The sound quality in 5.1 headphones will never out do stereo audiophile headphones as your paying for the 6 drivers. I used to use 5.1 headphones my self They all are marketing gimmicks, That I fell into many times.

only People who believe the hype of 5.1 headphones and think more drivers is better will pay 300+ for them no matter if there lower quality then actual headphones. When you can buy a better headphone for less as well as the same price.
    I would never pay 300 for a 5.1 headphones when I can buy a higher quality headphones with a good sound stage and postional sound and tell my surroundings without the use of lower quality drivers. Which why I stop buying 5.1 headphones and used my first pair of real headphones the AD700 from audio-techicas And now this ultrasone HFI-780. Both of these are better then that over price 5.1 headphone that you keep trying to sell. I not falling for that 5.1 hype again like I did many times in the past. It doesnt matter how much money you pay for them because they will not be as good as audiophile grade headphones.

Based on your bs logic I guess Razer barracuda headphones when they was 150+ was good 5.1 headphones because they was 150. Wrong!!. So you cant look at the price of a 5.1 headphone and go there off the hook because they cost more. the AD700 I had which cost less gave me better postional as well as sound quailty for my gaming then any 5.1 headphone i owned including the Razer Barracuda 5.1 headphones I last had.

Also just because Z-5500 are 300 still do not mean there the best 5.1 speakers you can have when you can do a DIY speaker setup for less or = thats better. Just like you cant say that a 500 dollar montior is better then a 300 dollar one because it cost more.

You better off with 2 big drivers then 6 small ones low quality ones. I can get that same effect with my headphones without the need of Dolby headphones or CMSS3D.Because of the positional and the sound stage. Then there is CMSS#d and DD headphone incase you wanna use them.

9. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I am not a sound engineer but I do know that I own a set of Psyko and they truly work. I have the Tritton and Turtle Beach and as I said earlier. there is NO comparison, The best way to get a handle on the tecnology and engineering of these cans is to watch the Video explanation on thier site. Psyko Labs.

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I know how they works I read about them some time ago where a site was talking about them and they still aint worth 300 dollars.

11. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    How can you comment on how they work and their value based on what you have read? You must wear them,play with them,compare directly with what you have now including your desk top speakers. No one thought that true 5.1 or surround sound from Head Phones could ever be engineered. At one time no one thought we could get to the Moon.We did.

12. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    ESlik if you truly think their so good let me barrow them ^_^ i would be happy to pay shipping both ways.

13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I agree ship them to momomo67890 if they don't past his test then they don't get listed in his first post as a recommend ;).But seriously i sure he wouldn't do that momomo he love them too much to prolly be without them. I read it off when the maker was explaining how they output the sound and the sounds are all sent out the same drivers and not out the org drivers. Like the sounds from the other drivers are routed out the left or right driver.Something like that. Maybe if you could some how get the company who makes them send you some for a review.

No matter how you spin it, to me they will always be over price 5.1 headphones, even if they output the sound in a totally new way. I will still see them being more then what they should be as well as Marketing ploy.They will never outdo the audio quailty coming from audiophile geared headphones nor sound stage. No offense but its a waste of 300 dollars which could be used for better audiophile gear headphones or some other computer part or non electronic device.

But I surely will not pay 300 for them, maybe try them out if they was much much cheaper, my only beef is they too high for what they made to do. 300 range is when you get into the price of other audiophile gear headphones that I rather buy instead. Audio quality and sound stage is my highest want which those headphones wouldn't give me as your paying for the 6 drivers that used.They will just be like those high costing Medusa 5.1 headphones overprice.

14. IndianScout

IndianScout Banned

GPU:
    GTX580 SLI
    I'll stick with my turtle beach, they cost me $80, give me good 5.1, sound good with music and if I forget and sling them across the room smashing them, I'm not out much..

15. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Hi Gen Claymore,... I'm a new member here and I am not experienced at navigating around this Forum nor do I know where to properly post etc. I will learn and will comply with the forum protocol. Please be patient. I have a set of Tritton AX PROs,as well as Turtle Beach AKR8s and .Sennheiser RS136s.My wifr uses Creative HS1200 cans as they are not too heavy for her.I did compare all can and also used the USB devices for dolby,cmss etc.that came with them. If you like, I will provide a review as best I can. for all of you.It will take a bit of time as I have two sound cards to test on. I did a full comparison using my Auzentech Prelude and since then have switched to my XFI Titanium Fatality. I have done some testing with this card but I'm not done yet. What ever it is that I report here, I want the info. to be true and accurate with, of course, the understanding that it is MY opinion. Take Care and thank you for the response and welcome I am enjoying.

16. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    do you got counter strike source ? b/c then we could just do a simple test for distance take 2 mins or so. i am curious to know ^_^

17. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    cod 4, 1.6 any of these would work and it would just take a few mins as i already said

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I will see if I can get a review done of these cans. I have been folowing there development for quite awhile.

19. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    any headphones anyone would like me to add only thing is they need to be sub 150$ and gaming headphones. ya kno the cheap ones ^_^

20. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    I recently bought myself a pair of Sennheiser HD-280 Pros. I've been wanting them for a couple years now and I finally decided to go for it. I've only tried them out with some music and a few games, they need a lot more time to burn in though before I can pass final judgment. I'm pretty happy with them so far, the bass is pretty lean but it'll get a bit more defined with time.

Things are freaking huge though and they block out plenty of sound. I just had them on while it was raining and it completely blocked the noise of the downpour through the vents in my apartment. I could hear some thunder every so often but only when the music was paused. Mighty comfortable too, at least for me. I have a rather large head and I don't find them tight or pressing or anything. Just a pleasant feeling that blocks out nearly all outside sound and doesn't allow anything to leak out.

I tried them out in Mass Effect last night, gunfire and explosions sounded so good and the voices came across crystal clear. I know I don't have the best sound card in the world but it works for my use just fine and I'm able to hear plenty of things that onboard lacks. Plus well, the fact that Mass Effect is actually playable with no more onboard helps too. :p

Just my two cents I thought I'd add. Must have been a hell of a time testing out all those phones momomo.