Piranha Bytes "Risen"

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JonasBeckman, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    Damnit...I didn't now about this either.

That's the one thing I hate about steam.... no hard manual to take to the toilet :(

2. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Woah, I didn't know that. Gotta find them apples then...

Wait, you were talking about the game. I thought... Nevermind.:wanker:

3. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    Hoho... found prospector skill and still in chapter 1 :banana:
    This game is cool :banana::banana::banana:

4. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    I don't think this "apple trick" is in the manual
    But this trick was in previous gothic games (well it was in gothic 2 as far as I can remember)

5. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    There were others as well in Gothic 2, I don't recall exactly what they all were, but I think 50 or so of the dark mushrooms gives you intelligence, or permanent mana increase. Probably something else I am forgetting as well.

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    As much as I like this game, I feel like its just way too easy to get stuck in some missions. I don't know wtf to do to get past the master's tests in the monastery and to have to run around and talk to every single char in the game is just a stupid waste of time.
    I may just wait for a walkthrough until I play more. Gettins stuck in RPGs where they dont give you any tips or clues or even markers on the map is just lame. Not everybody wants to waste half a year passing one game..

7. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Really? They gave you lots of hints and when people tell you the location of some places and people, you can see them in the quest map. Guess you don't want to 'waste your time' on the UI.

And the tests are really simple.

8. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ if the tests were so simple, I'd be able to figure out what ingredients are needed for the spells within a half hour of playing. Too bad I've gone all over the monestary three times trying to talk to everyone as well as running back and forth to harbour town.
    And where on the map can you see where you need to go? If you select a quest and select quest map, in some cases it gives you a dot but for this one in particular, trying to find the ingredients to Illumar's test, there is no such help.. hence its very easy to get stuck on one little thing and waste hours trying to figure it out.

Even when trying to find the amulet in teh don's house... I NEVER would have found it if I didn't find out online. Stupid.

9. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    The most important part of RPG is listen to what people said. And if you did that, you wouldn't go back to Habour town for ingredients since the master told you to find clues IN the monastery and ask the pupil about it. The markers on the quest map are there when people tell you about certain location and marked it there. Since the master ask you to find it yourself, he wouldn't tell you to ask this and do that. That is Oblivion's hand-holding feature.

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ I understand this and agree.. you do need to pay attention. Of course, if by some chance you missed it or didn't pay attention for that moment, you're telling me that you should be sol?

I only went to Harbour town after I wasted half an evening without being able to get any further with the Illumar quest.
    Yes, he says talk to your pupils. But what if some of the pupils don't want to talk with you cuz they caught you stealing something for example.. then what? You have to tell jokes to every one of em? Again, stupid.
    In my case, I accidentally killed someone from the Monestary and now many people won't talk with me.

I'm not asking it to hold my hand, but ffs come on. That is what I dislike about the game.. as I mentioned its way to easy to get stuck. Not everyone is an RPG whore that knows how to get by or likes wasting their time on a single piddly quest.

Now I don't even know who I need to talk to, I don't know if its possibly a bug which apparently there are many in this game, and the quests page doesn't show me anything of use.. = I'm stuck and my only hope of figuring it out is by a walkthrough or possibly a forum if someone else has had trouble.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009

11. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    The conversation is logged but the log is not perfect. I do checked the log often.

Well, you made them mad so you need to get closer to them. Feel happy that you can still use a scroll or spell to erase their 'memory' about it. Unlike RPG of the past, once you did something like that, you are screwed for the rest of the game. (unless of course the person you killed is the key person).

12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ true, I could use a spell.. but since I can't complete the illumar quest, I can't yet make spells, so if I was to use the single joke scroll that I happen to have in my inventory on the wrong person, I am still stuck. I just don't understand why they would make the game in a way that it is so easy to get stuck.. I have been stuck with some missions to the point where I have completely given up because it comes down to having to talk to one person or find one little inconspicuous clue or secret door. Totally annoying.

Anyway, quite honestly if I can't figure it out the next time I play I will just uninstall it. Wtf wants to spend that kinda time on a single mission. Its ridiculous.

Take for example the Witcher. I found at times that game difficult to figure out also with regard to the quests, but eventually things would work out in one way or shape. Risen is far less likely that you will just stumble upon things or be able to get ideas or tips from other characters. Its literally that if you don't talk to the single correct char, in some quests, you will never reach completion.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Save before you try this.

Knock them unconscious and then talk to them when they get up, should allow you to talk to them again afterwards albeit it depends on how severe the crime they saw you comit is, buying and finding joke scrolls is also very useful but they're not easy to come by.

14. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I find joke scrolls aplenty.

I save before I talk to any main person in case a issue arises.

I am stuck for the first time in the finding the draves quest.

I am near the grave next to the first one but do not see it.

i thought it had to be above me but i can not go up.

been at it for 6 hours and wound up in a ruin in a waterfall went throgh 3 freds (which he is easy to heal if you just save then reload fred is at full health again)

15. rentalbrain

rentalbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor HD 7950
    I just finished this game, ending was bit weak I thought(dedicated ranger suddenly forced to become axe fighter in the end? hmm I don't get, what was all this character building process for?) but overall I enjoyed it very much, got stuck here and there especially to find a bust for plains temple entrance it was damn hard I revisted every place that I can think of but couldn't find it anywhere I nearly gave up because of this but when I finally found it "there" by accident it was WTF lol

16. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    @Scooby Dooby.

Dude, i've just seen you whine about, arguably for me, the best RPG game of the last few years. Thats getting tedious and annoying.

This is going to sound harsh but if you cannot finish some of those easier tier one quests without looking online or waiting for someone else with brains, intellect and dedication to post a "walkthrough" online, then maybe casual gaming isnt for you and you need to go back to pac-man or something simpler...

The monastery is so small and their are only like 12 people of importance that will talk to you - it takes roughly 3 minutes to run around and rush talk through ALL of them. During the conversations they divulge important information which you should listen to. And you are trying to tell me that this took you half an evening to figure out - just to finish that little "test"...

At the harbour town Dons trinket quest the questgiver TELLS you in simple terms that the hidden switch is behind a painting. There are only like +-4 paintings in that small house. Doesnt take long to check and click them all. Even my little cousin figured it out in about a minute without any hints from me :) LOL

Uninstall if you want - the game is intended for fun, not to be a massive challenge. I recommend persistence but its your time man.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  17. Football Fan

Football Fan Member

GPU:
    Palit gtx260 sonic OC
    This game makes me fu.... mad. Bought new pc so i could play new games easily and i was happy till new gothic 3 came, which i can`t play without problems. Tried 1280 full af x2 and it can go below 30 fps sometime heh BUT inside some fu.... basement i have 200fps. Tried setting this pre rendered frames in control panel to 0 didnt help, tried different drivers 182.50 and 186.18 as suggested but only change is that it differs between 30-50 fps and for my eyes its not really comfortable. Excuse my english I havent used it for few months and i`m drunk

18. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    Yeah some people just can't find the fun searching some secret, too lazy imo:) while other might try to find something "BIG" like secret room, armor, weapons, etc

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  19. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    Oops sorry double post ..

20. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    .. Not as tedious and annoying as Risen on PC :) You think this is the best RPG in the last few years?? Better than Witcher and even Fallout 3? Whatever you say!

Someone else with brains? That doesn't sound harsh it actually sounds insulting.And thanks for your judgement of my gaming history. I had no idea that you knew me so well!

That's actually not what I'm saying, becuase technically I haven't even passed this "little" test that is, according to you, supposed to be simple. Here are some facts:

- No one in the monestary has anything to say to me
    - I need to make a scroll, but have no idea what the ingredients are and noone will tell me
    - There is nothing in the log that gives you any idea what is required.
    "Make a scroll all by yourself" <--- VERY helpful!

= Have to wait for a walkthrough since I have absolutely no idea wtf to do!

Again, this is why I went and checked them at least a half dozen times before I finally found the tip online that you need to be "on an angle" to the picture. When there is no prompt or even a sign to show you that you can move the picture, how is one supposed to know? You can paint me out to be a noob/moron all you like.. fact is that if you look online many many people are running into these little snags. Not everyone is going to be clairevoyent and this isn't a friggen point and click game is it?

Indeed it is my time, which is why wasting it running around trying to proceed in a game gets pretty "tedious and annoying", to use your own words.
    Understand, I'm not sitting here steaming about this.. this game is good in many ways and I do enjoy playing it. Of course, it is not without its problems. Whether you want to recognize that or not is up to you.. but beleive me, it is very far from perfect and its clear that they got lazy with certain things in this game.

I have played many many many rpgs in my day, and I've never gotten stuck at this kind of frequency without any hope of progressing in the game. Unless I'm getting slow in my old age (28) or am just smoking too much, I would say the game has something to do with it.
    But that's okay.. I appreciate your kind words :rolleyes: