MSI 5870 unlock bios (core/mem = 1800/2600)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Garrett_Wu, Oct 6, 2009.

1. meds

meds Guest

GPU:
    in!!

2. Shroomalistic

Shroomalistic Member

GPU:
    HIS HD5850+9800gt Physx
    any word on the 5850 bios yet?

3. XLR8

XLR8 Member

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB
    Garrett_Wu, you got pm

4. Garrett_Wu

Garrett_Wu Member Guru

Working on it. stay tuned :)

5. glenboy

glenboy Guest

GPU:
    2 x 5850's for now
    nice one garrett we appreciate your good work you're putting in m8:)

6. lowdog

lowdog Guest

GPU:
    2 x 6990 quad cfx
    Hey Garrett just a quick question.

I have 2 x Sapphire 5870's that I'm going to flash to either the MSi or Asus bios.

Aside from the different clock limits between the MSI and Asus bios does the MSI bios have any other twaks that are different to the Asus bios that may make the card more stable at higher clocks?

Example, have MSI tweaked ram timings or any other options that may differ from the stock or Asus bios?

Thanks.

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

He answered the question on the previous page, it is just a reference BIOS with extended clock limits and no additional tweaks.

8. lowdog

lowdog Guest

GPU:
    2 x 6990 quad cfx
    Ah okay sorry I missed that, thanks for pointing that out. :)

9. trt740

trt740 Member

GPU:
    Msi Twin Frozer II 5850
    staying tuned staying tuned

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  10. trt740

trt740 Member

GPU:
    Msi Twin Frozer II 5850
    He said it's legit and signed by ATI and since he invented afterburner for MSI and riva tuner I don't think there is a problem. He is employed by MSI. :bang: Garret thx for the 5850 bios you legend grows.

11. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Hmmm, im pretty sure Unwinder "invented" Rivatuner?? Or am i totally missinformed?? BTW, im afraid to use afterburner, its a great app, but my system seems to always get much less stable when msi afterburner is turned on. Plus my cards temps get way upp also. Hopefully this will be addressed soon? And one more thing, why doesnt my fan profiles work if msi afterburner is enabled in the background???

12. Unwinder

No, it will not. There are no any known issues with Afterburner instability and no fixes pending. Some users are just trying to mix multiple hardware control tools causing total chaos in the system.

13. zuppi

zuppi Member

GPU:
    8800 Ultra
    GPU Monitor Gadget 2.1 and Afterburner?

14. Unwinder

No, garget is designed and works with RivaTuner only.

15. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Im sure you are correct for most part, but for me personally it does not work well. My 5870 had idle temps @ 60-68c. I uninstalled afterburner, and my idle temps went back to normal 40c something. I have a hard time calling it a coinsidence??

EDIT: 2 more things a rememnbered, fan profiles from the ccc would not work if aftergurner was on. Plus if I tried to OC the card from aftervburner the OC like throtthlet down from MY OC to standard clcoks??

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009

16. Unwinder

Afraid to use it - don't use it. Think that it doesn't work as intended - don't use it again. I've just gave fair comment telling that there are no fixes pending in this are. Nothin to add to it.

17. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I have no such errors. U must be doing something wrong on your side.
    The only way it can heat up ur gfx card is if u messed around with the fan settings.

18. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    I thought he said that the fan setting is a shared resource so you shouldn't use them in conjunction right?

And for the clock setting thats AMD/ATI powerplay in action I think.

19. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Both wrong im afraid... I havent done anything wrong, system runs very well, the best actually it ever has run since I sold my 2 GTX260´s and bought my 5870.. Havent had single crash since. :) And If I dont have Afterburner on, everything works as it should. But im not trying to badmouth afterburner or unwinder. I love both his MSI AB (great peace of SW), same with the EVGA Precision worked like a charm on my nvidia cards i had. So this has nothing to do with that im trying to badmouth either unwinder or his programs, I respect him and his work! But the fact is, it does not work well on my other system (the one with the 5870), but works great on my htpc with a 4850x2 installed. So could be some hardware incompatibility issue??

And unwinder, you are a great person with great skills at making great apps for people, and even if you propably get paid from MSI/EVGA and surely others, its great that you can use them for free. Same for RivaTuner. But I have noticed that you have very hard time to take criticism. Specially when it has something to do with youre software??? C´mon, you need to chill down. I dont know if im getting youre reaction wrong (the bad side of netchatting), but If not, and I got it just right (as i truely believe) I think you got quite unnecessarily childish? And you seem to have gotten a huge head from all youre "fame"?? Happens quite often to people with little fame? I mean Im not saying anything bad about youre software, im just trying to get it to work. And you should be glad that people like me tell you these things. "YOU" will look better if youre software works without these hickups on some systems. Sorry if im out of line, or missread you, but damnit GROW UP. Im finnish live in sweden, know lots of russians. None of them are as tightasses as youre attitude is. If you dont want to hear anyone saying youre software isnt perfect, maybe you should stop making them?? I havent got the image of you that you are doing the software to make a "name" for youre self online, but please criticism, specially when its in a constructive way, should be a positive thing and should be appreciated?? But no, you wont accept that youre peace of software isnt some super duper perfekt peace of code that cant do wrong??? But thx for not helping me, maybe youre head is too big already from the "fame" you got?? Good luck with that.

But I want to thank all youre work, past and present, too bad I just dont like youre attitude agains people!!

Ps. One example what AB did to my 5870, I have everest with both lcd and sidebar icons. I watch both VRM´s for my card (V & amps). When AB was on, I saw for an example that my it was on some ocation VRM 1.65V?? Is this normal??? And im not sure the amps, but I think they were around 60 amps vrm? And No the card was not in load mode, it was idle at desktop with 0% utilisation. So it wasnt doing anything, if you were gonna say that?

Directly when I uninstalled my MSI AB, looked at VRM readings at idle they were 1.15V and 30a and lower. Maybe not so weird my temps where so high, my VRM was totally over juiced with power, and before you ask, no I did never touch the Voltage meter. Im not using AB for OCíng, im using it for OSD capabilities so I can see gpu % usage and other things on screen when in-game. These thing I love the software, but its long way from perfect, believe me. So as you said, yes im afraid to use it, I dont want to burn out my vrm just because you are too cocky to realise that there could be some bug there that "just happens" to some...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  20. Garrett_Wu

Garrett_Wu Member Guru

If I remember right, Unwinder said a lot of times that users can't use afterbuner with other vrm monitor utility like CPU-z,everest. Beacuse afterburn is accessing vrm, you can't use another to access it at the same time.

And by the way, i think you should chill down.